The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Talent show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
I have an idea for a full magic show now but I have no money and I am a bit of a chicken.
So I thought I'd do a school talent show first and test if I have the ability to perform properly. There are three factors stopping me though.

1. I'm the school weirdo or geek, I guess.
2. I feel the school will just think I'm trying to show off and probably want to ruin my trick.
3. They use cameras for the talent shows

The reason for putting this in the Manipulations forum is because I'm doing the most visually stunning thing I know, card manipulations.

I have no guts in this area. Can someone advise me please? Should I do it or not? I think I should wait and build my skill but inside I REALLY want to do this. Not for the prize, but to see everyones face.
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Wikiro - http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......0&27

You might find that topic interesting.

Another thing I have been taught (that wasn't mentioned in that topic) is to pinch the 'V' between your index finger and thumb. Press it real hard and hold it there for 30secs and it helps release blood or flow it around your body.

Kevin
maylor
View Profile
Loyal user
england
231 Posts

Profile of maylor
Go for it man. School talent shows are a good stepping stone. Don't let a bunch of losers put you off, go and show 'em what you can do!!!!

Smile
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
I agree, DO IT. Are there a lot of practices? I was in my school talent show, and we had like 20 practices before the actual show. I had a lot of experience being on stage and in front of small groups. Also, isn't everybody trying to "show off" in a talent show? That is kind of the object of it Smile . Get up there, and make everybody's jaw drop.

Regards and GOOD LUCK! ,

Evan Williams Smile Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Wikiro,

Do you have a short manipulation act put together?

Are you confident in practice with it (that is you can get through the entire act without hesitation)?

Have you done a walk-through of the entire act in front of a group of friends or family yet?

If NO to the first question then you are not ready to think about going on stage. If you have a couple of nice moves down but no sequenced routine/act you are not there yet!

If yes to the first and NO to the second, then you are only a few hundred practice sessions away from showing your act to a friendly group. But you are still not ready to take it onstage for the “real” public.

If yes to the first and second and NO to the third, then get your friends and family to sit down and watch the act. And make them watch it several times (it would be better to do friends one day and family the next).

If YES to all three then bite the bullet and GO FOR IT! You are going to be nervous! Some people will like your act, some won’t! Play to those who do and don’t sweat those who don’t.

Remember that you are there to show-off! So show-off to the best of your ability! Every performer getting on that stage is there to show-off their skill in something.

Go for it and let us know how you did!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
It's not until the end of school and that would be, let me think...next year and I need stage practice, so any tips for places to go?
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Talent show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL