The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Putting an act together (need help) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
I decided to go pro, I've been doing mostly closeup, but now I want to do b-day parties and such, so I'm trying to put my act together. I will be performing at some local libraries and I want to know what tricks to do. I've been doing the magic coloring book, a couple of sponge balls tricks, a card thru window or thru ballon, some d'lite, a couple of coin tricks if they are close enough, a couple of card tricks, a routine with ropes and that's it. I want to integrate some bigger tricks and I need help with routining, thank you guys! Smile
mnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mnmagic
Do you have bookings already and if so, how long from now? If it is soon I would stick with the simple yet effective stuff that will leave with enough time to focus on presentation more then method. Stuff such as clippo or some sort of dove pan stuff. Don't get me wrong, you will have to practice a lot. Especially if you have bookings before you have put your show together.

Shawn
Nikos
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of Nikos
Hey Ricahato,
I'm strictly a hobbyist. Don't have the confidence to go pro. I get my buzz out performing for family and friends.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Hello Ricahato,

You PMed me to ask my advice. So I am wrtiting my honest opinion.

First of all, I always advise young magicians not to become pro. Especially if you are a student, I strictly advise you to concentrate on what you are learning at school, college or university.

You need a considerable degree of intelligence to become a good magician. It is not too late to become pro after graduating and having much experience in the fields other than magic. I believe experiences in other fields help your magic extensively.

Seeing your current repertoire, I don't surmise you have enough original tricks. Pro, if you want to be a good pro, needs to have original properties.

Finally, I am not confident in giving proper advice to anybody when I don't know about him/her and have not seen his/her performance.

Regards,

Hideo Kato
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
I was also PM'd to respond, so all I can say is practice.

We have no idea of your character, your level of skill in magic, or how well you do your tricks.

So practice, practice, practice.
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
There's a difference between "going pro" and doing birthday parties....

If you are wanting to "go pro," then you'll need original effects and routining. If you're doing birthday parties, you can make a good living, but I don't think you need a lot of "original" stuff.

Check out standard routines at on line magic shops under "children's magic." Put together an act that will hold together and make the birthday child the star of the show. There are many videos out there which will give you an idea of what might need to be included. Check out "Birthday Party Dough" or even Dan Harlan's "Pack Small Plays Big" series. David Ginn has some good stuff as well.

I got my start doing birthday parties and I still do some. Believe me, though, when I tell you that doing birthday parties when you're first starting out can be the hardest money you'll ever make wielding a magic wand.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
Thank you everyone for such a good input, you guys have great opinions. Shawn, I have a couple of bookings for b-day parties by the end of July. I will be getting some libraries by next month. I've done b-day parties and some daycares. I have a show set up, but I would like to improve it because I have a lot of close up stuff and I would like a little bigger tricks. And I do practice every day for no less than an hour.....Thank you for your advice.

I gave this a lot of thought, I have experience in other areas besides magic, I have experience in business, TV, I was an assistant Producer, I have lots of experierience on sales and on dealing with people. I speak three languages fluently. I gave this a lot of thought and I want to do it professionally. I know doing b'day parties is not being a profesional, but I want to do it for a while so I can get a stage show that I can take around the country.

I need experience in presentation and performing. I thank you guys greatly. I'll be around for any questions or concerns! Smile Smile
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Thanks for ansking. I too am not a pro, so could not give any solid suggestions but, I do have a few thoughts.
(1) I agree with Haido's wonderful suggestion about education. It is jarring to hear poor speech, street ideion, ("youse guys") etc... but being amazingly multi-lingual, your accents will prove charming.

However, if you ever want to play sophisticated, wealthy venues it is great not only to speak well but to be educated enough to be able to converse, or at least listen, to ANY topic.

While I'm thinking, Bill Malone has some glaring grammatical errors- usually with confusion between when to use the words "I" and when to use the word "me". But he works the most sophisticated areas in Boca Raton Florida, however, I imagine that he seldom is viewed as a potential dinner guest with their friends, only an entertainer.

Having been prepared to say all this, your real-life experience is overwhelming and makes all this null and void. All you need is, what we are all too afraid to do as amateurs, is experience, over and over again and also, maybe a mentor as a personal guide.

Marty Kaplan

P.S. If I were to consider Children and Birthdays, a very profitable venue, I would contact Silly Billy in NYC. He hires people to fill in gigs he cannot handle. Wonderful experience and a heck of a mentor, I would think from having heard him lecture. You might want to check out his very creative monthly column in Genii (or is it Magic) Magazine.

Marty, again Smile
RoyHolidayMagic
View Profile
New user
New York
85 Posts

Profile of RoyHolidayMagic
Silly Billy's column is in Magic Magazine. Also, I would recommend joining your local IBM or SAM ring. I joined my local IBM ring, where I met and often talk to several professional, working kidshow magicians (probably some of the highest paid kidshow magicians in the US...I've spoken to people all over the country, no one seems to get as much as those here in Long Island, NY). If you join a ring, you are likely to meet many very, very good and working magicians who are willing to give you advice.

Good Luck,
Roy Holiday
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
I would get Eric Pauls course "Being the Top Children's Entertainer in your Area".
Not only does this help with the marketing, but he also shows you how to put a show together. The best money you will ever spend.
http://www.epmagic.com
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
Ricahato
View Profile
Regular user
denver
113 Posts

Profile of Ricahato
Thanks everyone for all your responses
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
If you are wanting to "go pro," then you'll need original effects and routining. If you're doing birthday parties, you can make a good living, but I don't think you need a lot of "original" stuff.

Hi,
this seems contidictory, are you saying that if you are making a good living doing birthday parties you are not pro?

quote:
Pro, if you want to be a good pro, needs to have original properties.

Hi,
I have to say I dissagree with this if you want to be a Pro magician working for magicians maybe. But to be pro working for lay audiences there are tons of acts out there that are making a good living full time pro that do not have original acts or material. it's nice if you can have original materail but by no means essential or even required.
Phillip
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I only talk from experience and you only gain experience through time.
It's like saying I don't want to have kids before I know for sure that I have enough money to bring them up.
There is never enough money and never enough experience.
You should go with what your heart tells you and what you will.
There is nothing better than good will and good heart.
If I could do it, then I'm sure you could do it too. Nothing is impossible and that is what we "Pro magis" are actualy trying to envay. As long as you have that in mind and focus on what you intend doing with your head high above water you are going to be scot free and happy to say the least.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
If B-day parties are where you are going to be, then be sure to get a business line and place some type of ad in your yellow pages before the next printing deadline.

Since your from Denver, you have a bid enough market that you should have a local parents magazine. Be sure to place an ad in this publication as the Parent Magazine and yellow pages ads are where your work for B-Days will be coming from.

Good Luck with your new endeavor and keep us posted as to how you are progressing.

As for material for your show.

The Egg Bag (chicken finish)
Blooming Bouquet (makes a great opening warm-up piece)

Bongo Hat (Easy and inexpensive)

If you want to keep your costs down, try Ebay for your new equipment needs.

Do a Search by Seller.

David Ginn ebay name ginnmagic
Sammy Smith ebay name spsmagic

These two will give you a great start and have lots of merchandise suitable for an entertainer wanting to perform children's or family shows.

Its mostly too late for this year. But start gathering contacts for next year and build up a suitable family show to present at fairs and festivals. Start with the smaller ones and build upon your satisfied customer testimonials to go on to the bigger festivals and fairs.

If you have questions PM me.

Magical Pirate
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Putting an act together (need help) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL