The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Write, No-Write Sharpie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
I've been a massive fan of the "Dry Pen" subtlety as described by Andy Nyman for quite some time; I'm sure I'm not alone in using this technique to strengthen my presentation of any routine utilising double-writing.

To cut a really long story short, in a flash of inspiration, I have discovered a way to show the spectator that the pen is indeed dry.
No pen switch. No double ended pen. When needed the writing end of a regular Sharpie will write, yet instantly it can be shown to be completely dry and incapable of making any mark at all.

I would be interested firstly in providing this e-book (to be honest, the instructions are no more than one page of A4 paper) to the first ten people that PM me, with the only requisite being that I would like any feedback on this idea to be posted here on the Café.

I truly believe this has never been used before, however I could, and would happily be, proved wrong.

The Very Kindest Of Regards,
Steve Shaw
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

www.magicblog.org
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
Two left..
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

www.magicblog.org
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
All gone.....

Thank you to everyone who expressed an interest in this idea. I look forward to hearing your feedback.
Kind Regards,
Steve

www.magicblog.org
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
756 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
Is that you Banachek?
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Great little idea this Smile Thanks for sharing it with me Steve
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of VIEW
I like it too. would take practice, but interesting.
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
Not Banachek I'm afraid. I do however, have the great pleasure of sharing his name. I take it Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, he takes it Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. We share alternating Sundays.

All the best,
The OTHER Steve Shaw

www.magicblog.org
ParaLabs - Thomas
View Profile
Special user
913 Posts

Profile of ParaLabs - Thomas
You get a little more extensive feedback per mail. Smile

Cheers
Th.
Aaron E
View Profile
Special user
756 Posts

Profile of Aaron E
That's funny Steve. Hope your idea is a success.

Cozmo
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Profile of r1z08
Let me just chime in and say that this idea is something that I've used for a very long time. I know that it works and it doesn't really need too much practice to pull off. It's audience tested and works for both close up and stage.

I spoke with Steve today via PM and we both realized that we independently came up with the same idea. Great minds think alike! Smile

-rob
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
I agree with Rob that this would certainly not require any great practice to pull off. My sole purpose with sending this to those interested parties was in order to find out more regarding the history of this technique, and I am glad to see that other people far greater than I, have been using this for some time.

All the best,
Steve

www.magicblog.org
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Rob is indeed a great mind and Steve shows the creativity to be right up there with him. This is a neat little tool that can be used to spark the creative juices in others and generate some neat effects.

KISS works!
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I also like the simplicity of the idea. Though I don't use a double-write method in my routines, I'll definitely try this out to see how well it works... in the interest of future use and to give Steve the evaluation he deserves for his effort. Thanks, Steve. You are appreciated. Smile
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I like the idea and told Steve that it can be applied to my Blindsight routine so you don't have to switch the marker. Of course if you use it this way, you keep the fact the pen doesn't write a secret.

Devin
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
This is a clever application of a method that has been around for a very long time. I don't believe the method has been used quite like this but it might have been. It is simple, effective and might be perfect for some particular effects requiring this kind of application.

Steve
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2010-09-15 16:32, Devin Knight wrote:
I like the idea and told Steve that it can be applied to my Blindsight routine so you don't have to switch the marker. Of course if you use it this way, you keep the fact the pen doesn't write a secret.

Devin

Not to detract from the thread, but loved Blindsight. Bought it two years ago and had a lot of fun performing it. Back to the thread... Steve's idea would work quite well with Blindsight.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Steve

I've found that depending on the type of business card you use (e.g. mine is glossy on one side and matte on the other) your can use a d** e**** pen, disguised
as a Sharpie on both sides. The matte side will retain the ink, just like a regular Sharpie, the glossy side will allow you to ***** whatever is written on that side if that fits your presentation. I use it when revealing a "p*****" name.

Feel free to pm for a clearer instruction of what I am talking about. (Too many ********* in this post)

Gerry.

Gerry
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1942 Posts

Profile of markthorold
I un***stood perfectly Gerry , nice thinking .
Mark
E.O.I
SShawUK
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of SShawUK
Nice idea Gerry! I have tried making a frankenstein sharpie, where the nib is half sharpie cartridge. Half d** er*** ink. Needs a lot more work but the principle is sound!

www.magicblog.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Write, No-Write Sharpie (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL