The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How long do you wait? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
teedpop
View Profile
New user
Check out my
91 Posts

Profile of teedpop
I really should wait to show an audience until I can do it blind folded, with one hand behind my back, asleep.
But, I usually wait just until I can fool myself.

-teed
StephenP
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of StephenP
All of this advice is appreciated. Molsen's idea of shooting video and then reviewing it later reminds me of something I do when I try to write an article. And Jim Oliver's "100 hours" reminds me of something John Lennon supposedly said about needing 100 hours of rehearsal to ready a one hour set.
UnderYourNose
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of UnderYourNose
Not to flog a dead horse, but I agree that it's impossible to narrow practice time down to a single average. No trick is created equal, and conversely, neither is the required practice time. I also think that practice to performance time can start off very long and then shorten as you learn new tricks which use variations of what you already know.

Using juggling as an example, it took me several months just to keep 3 balls in the air for an extended period of time, and about a year to make it look good, controlled and effortless. But once I had that down, learning under hands and cascades took days to get the basic idea down, and then only months to make look good. Not to mention that the toss and catch principal transposed perfectly over to juggling clubs.

Now, I'm not saying that that's a perfect analogy. If I drop a ball or club in a performance, I haven't just exposed a secret. But I do think that the practice time lengths can be similar. But no matter what, you're either ready or you're not. Not sure, give it another month and check back in.

One other slightly off-topic note. I've been working through the Erdnase text and have been using three cameras for practice with varying angles. I have them set at the front and both sides. And two of them are full 1080p, so nothing slips by! Smile All my mistakes in gut-wrenching detail. You can perform a trick to one camera and then move your body each time to get each side, but I've found that it can be far more helpful to see the same exact version of the move from all angles. And I imagine you could put together a fairly decent "Close-up Scrutinizer" for very little cash using three webcams. Those things are getting more and more hi-res by the day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How long do you wait? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL