The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Penney's Game/Penney Ante (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Woo-hoo! My number of site viewers to my blog has doubled today!

It largely has to do with the Penney's Game episode of Scam School. Right at the end of the episode, he mentions that several people sent it in, but only mentions my name and my site specifically!

If you're not familiar with Penney's Game, check out this episode, as it's very surprising that it works.

Check out this episode's ending joke: “Next week, we're going to be learning, from a memory expert, a mnemonic device that will allow you to memorize the entire constitution in 20 minutes.”

Boy, do I feel weird for actually doing that: Part I, Part II, Part III
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I like this scam a lot.

You could play it like you're influencing either the coin or their flipping action to get the result you want.

Steve
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Quote:
On 2010-09-16 14:54, Scott Cram wrote:
Woo-hoo! My number of site viewers to my blog has doubled today!

It largely has to do with the Penney's Game episode of Scam School. Right at the end of the episode, he mentions that several people sent it in, but only mentions my name and my site specifically!

If you're not familiar with Penney's Game, check out this episode, as it's very surprising that it works.

Check out this episode's ending joke: “Next week, we're going to be learning, from a memory expert, a mnemonic device that will allow you to memorize the entire constitution in 20 minutes.”

Boy, do I feel weird for actually doing that: Part I, Part II, Part III

That's cool, Scott! Congrats!
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Something just struck me about the non-transitive nature of the game, if there are more than 2 players:

Let's say that A selects HHT.

B knows the strategy and selects THH to beat A most of the time.

C also knows the strategy and wants to beat B so he selects TTH.

D wants to beat C so he selects HTT.

This makes A happy, beacuse he sees that his choice HHT will beat D most of the time.

So who wins this game most of the time when it is played? What about if only A, B and C plays? Will C be the winner in the long run?

/Tomas
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Scott, just saw this thread today. I hope it was noted, or at least that people are aware, that Derren Brown made use of this game in one of his recent television specials. If you have not seen that, you should check it out. I'll try and watch your videos this evening.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
stanalger
View Profile
Special user
St. Louis, MO
998 Posts

Profile of stanalger
bblumen
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore
987 Posts

Profile of bblumen
I, like Nick Trost, prefer to use cards instead of coins for this scam.

See The Penney Paradox in The Card Magic of Nick Trost pp. 89-92.
"Lulling the minds of your company is more important than dazzling their eyes." Ed Marlo
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
187 Posts

Profile of R.S.
I like this. But since it's not 100%, I was wondering if the odds can be increased by using a sequence of 4 coin tosses rather than 3. Any of you math studs know? If so, would the method change (i.e., would you still use your opponents first two values)? And even if it does increase the odds, would the whole process now be too drawn out and tedious to make it worthwile?

Thanks! Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Penney's Game/Penney Ante (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL