The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wuthergloom's Cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
Skull make-up, dramaticus extremus presentation and . . .

The Cups and Balls.

KG
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Yipes! You'll save a lot of money on Halloween candy with that one.

http://wn.com/wuthergloom's_cupsavi

A perfect place for one of Doug's heads.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Interesting use of Bosco's and Hocus Pocus Junior's patter. Oh, wait. Ricky Jay did that, too, didn't he!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Boudje
View Profile
New user
France
89 Posts

Profile of Boudje
Really nice presentation. I like the original story of that classical.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Thanks for posting... I found it both interesting and uncanny.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Who is it and how old is the flick? Outstanding acting and script.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
More proof that scripting and presentation takes the routine to the next level!

MMc
TravisRobertson
View Profile
Regular user
Cedar Rapids, IA USA
199 Posts

Profile of TravisRobertson
Outstanding performance! And just in time for Halloween too.
I am looking to buy Pressley Guitar items in good condition. Send me a PM for details.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 15:09, MickeyPainless wrote:
More proof that scripting and presentation takes the routine to the next level!

MMc

But when so much of the script is pinched from someone else...then what?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Didn't realize it was "borrowed" Bill until I went back a read your post (I just watched the video and posted earlier)!

That's too bad!

MMc
eldritchtheatre
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of eldritchtheatre
Hold on a second...

I freely admit to lifting the magic words from Bosco and Hocus Pocus Jr. The names of the balls are from Hockus Pockus Jr as well. (I've also placed a few lines of Robert Houdin in there too, although they've been retooled slightly.) I made this decision in part as acknowledgment to the age of the trick, and also to add an air of authenticity to the sound of the magic. (There's also tips of the hat to HP Lovecraft, Marie Leveaux, and the 1932's version of The Black Cat in there too.)

I'm certainly not the only person to quote Bosco... I know Ricky Jay does it. (I think he uses two of the same magic words I do in his first pass, but I'm not positive.) Michael Vincent does. I think Mark DeSouza does too.

But, really, any similarities to my routine and Ricky Jay's end there.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgm4wZCACYg if you'd like to see for yourself.)

Besides, Bill, it seems a little disingenuous to accuse me of plagiarism, when it was your website that provided me with the research material I used in the routine.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 12:51, Pete Biro wrote:
Who is it and how old is the flick? Outstanding acting and script.

Sent you a PM!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Well-done eldritchtheatre!

I thoroughly enjoyed this routine. Always wondered how a truly 'bizarre' C&B routine would play.

Best,

Doug
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
geoffa
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
57 Posts

Profile of geoffa
That was great! Very entertaining, eldritchtheatre.
Dale Houck
View Profile
Veteran user
Dakota J Magic at Saint Cloud, FL
374 Posts

Profile of Dale Houck
I think the presentation is pretty unique regardless of whether all the words are. I found it freaky, spooky and entertaining.
Magic is where you find it.....
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
I really enjoyed the presentation… I am not bothered that some was borrowed form other works. It is kind of like when singers do cover songs… some can be as good as the originals in a different way.

Bruce
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
BCS...right n.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Highly entertaining and engaging!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-09-18 08:33, eldritchtheatre wrote:
Hold on a second...

I freely admit to lifting the magic words from Bosco and Hocus Pocus Jr. The names of the balls are from Hockus Pockus Jr as well. (I've also placed a few lines of Robert Houdin in there too, although they've been retooled slightly.) I made this decision in part as acknowledgment to the age of the trick, and also to add an air of authenticity to the sound of the magic. (There's also tips of the hat to HP Lovecraft, Marie Leveaux, and the 1932's version of The Black Cat in there too.)

I'm certainly not the only person to quote Bosco... I know Ricky Jay does it. (I think he uses two of the same magic words I do in his first pass, but I'm not positive.) Michael Vincent does. I think Mark DeSouza does too.

But, really, any similarities to my routine and Ricky Jay's end there.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgm4wZCACYg if you'd like to see for yourself.)

Besides, Bill, it seems a little disingenuous to accuse me of plagiarism, when it was your website that provided me with the research material I used in the routine.

Really? That's interesting. You blame the person who provided you with the reference works.

It seems even more disingenuous to me to assume that nobody would notice.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

eldritchtheatre
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of eldritchtheatre
On the contrary Bill, I’m not blaming you at all. I love your website. I visit it often. It’s my favourite Cups & Balls Site on the net. (I intend to make use of your close-up table blue-prints in the near future too.)

And the point of referring to 400 hundred (and 200) year old magic texts in my routine is precisely in the hopes that someone will notice. The Hocus Pocus Jr and Houdin quotes are there as in-jokes for the three magicians who might happen to see my show. Just as the Lovecraft bits are there for the folks who’ve read Call of Cthulhu.

They are meant as titbits of “value added” for those few in the know. If I removed them all, and said, say, “Abracadabra” instead of “Passa Jubeo”, or called the balls “Winky, Binky and Clyde” instead of “Benedick, Nabarus and Presto John” the presentation and dramatic intent remain essentially the same. What is lost are some nice shades of colour.

Ricky Jay’s routine, on the other hand, is a History Lesson about the cups and balls. When he uses the texts, they are the very essence of the routine.

His show is about magic and it’s history. My show is about a 139 year old traveling exorcist and his ruined life.

The movies “The Lion King”, “Strange Brew”, “Nightmare on Elm Street”, “Withnail and I”, “Star Trek VI”, “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead” and “Two Be or Not to Be” all quote Hamlet. But you would never accuse them of ripping off Shakespeare. Or each other.

“Wow. That Nightmare on Elm Street was really scary, but it was just a big rip off The Lion King.”

Besides, don’t you do a whole Hocus Pocus Jr show? Surely you don’t feel that you’re stealing from Ricky Jay? Or that he’s stealing from you?

If I started my routine by saying, “This trick is the oldest trick in magic. These are three cups. And three balls. And the cups are like little houses for the balls” then you could accuse me of lack of originality. As it is, I don’t think you’re being fair…

To the rest of you, thank you for your kind words and compliments. I’m really very surprised and flatt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wuthergloom's Cups (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL