The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stealth Assassin Wallet for examination? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
459 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Hello,

I performed the shortlist routine using a billet index to a friend today.
I let her choose number 1 to 6 and then revealed the choice.
She was surprised first, and then she started to think how it is done.
Then she shout to me "There must be six billets hidden somewhere in your wallet! Let me check it!"
I told her "Will you let others check your wallet?" (I learned it some where here in the Café.)
What will you say or what will you do if you are in such a situation?
Some advice?

YuYen
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
I never liked that statement as it seems confrontational and I'm hiding, so it validates their rational. I always escalate their idea lightheartily till it appears absurd. this way they see the silliness and relate that to their original idea and subsequencially discard it as unnrealistic.
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
718 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
I agree that "Will you let others check your wallet?" sounds very defensive and will only make the participant sure they have the method. I have always thought the best way forward in these situations is to go into another effect before there is chance for anyone to dwell on it. "ok let me try something else" is all that's needed, but you'd better make sure that your next effect is a belter and absolutely bulletproof as it won't work twice! If it's not possible to do another effect I would just say "yes I suppose that would be one way of doing it, I've never thought of that before" at least there is a possibility that this could plant a seed of doubt!

Also if she really shouted "There must be six BILLETS hidden somewhere in your wallet!" then you're either performing for the wrong person or using words in your performance that you shouldn't!
david12345
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of david12345
I agree with the "that is one possibility"

etc...approach. it works for me.
Imho
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Work your performance and people won't ask about your wallet. Asking to choose a number from 1-6 and then taking a billet out of the wallet...not a good routining from my point of view.

Why not using what you did as part of a triple predictions routine ? Once you revealed all three predictions, your wallet is long gone and nobody will ever ask for it.
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
<literally just about to write what Gingerwizard said>

Don't use the word billet in performance.

No one has ever asked to see my wallet.

Yeah I think look at the structure of the routine but also how you handle the wallet. If your holding it six inches from your chest and secretively - it brings suspicion.

Additionally work the routine out so it seems like there are many more possibilties. Don't get them to think in numbers 1 - 6 because as Stefmagic mentioned it literally just leads you to that conclusion.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
"I performed the shortlist routine using a billet index to a friend today.
I let her choose number 1 to 6 and then revealed the choice."

This isn't a routine. It's a demo of how the wallet works. As such, it's not entirely surprising if the spec gained an idea as to how it was done.

When you devise an actual routine, and carefully think about the framing, and carefully prepare a script so that the words you use and how you deliver them will paint the illusion you want inside the spec's mind, then the wallet and the bits of paper will become virtually invisible and irrelevant in the spec's mind - as they should be.

Everyone admires the Sistine Chapel Ceiling. No-one knows what sort of brushes Michaelangelo used when he was painting. The tools aren't important. The painting is. Artists use paints on canvas. We use words and ideas, and paint inside the spec's imagination. If anyone is even noticing the tools you use, you're doing it wrong.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1157 Posts

Profile of r1z08
It would behoove you to listen to Mr. Rowland's sound advice.

-rob
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4289 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I agree with Ian. The routines on the DVDs provide a jumping point for you. The real devil is in the details and that only comes from personal tweaks in the routine to work out the weaknesses.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2396 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
I use the SAW wallet for a routine I came up with involving movies and actors/actresses.

Not once has a spec told me that I peeked at their movie, etc etc.

I guess it all depends on the performer and how that person presents the effect.

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
A.J.
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan
314 Posts

Profile of A.J.
Ian Rowland's advice is pure gold! He encapsulates all of performing with his concise words.

Bravo.

A.J.
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2214 Posts

Profile of dmoses
First of all may I say-- "Congratulations! You got busted"

And that's one of the pitfalls of actually performing for real people.

Some folks are happy to be entertained, some folks must know how everything is done.
And despite all the careful scripting and misdirection even the best performers... from time to time... occasionally get busted-- or worse-- have a spectator who thinks he's busted them.

I say "amen" to what Mr. Rowland has said and echo what others suggest: are you trying to entertain people or are you trying to fool them. If you're performing tricks then you are inviting them to try and figure it out. If you have a reason for showing them something that is more than the trick itself-- I think you'll have fewer folks trying to bust you-- but you'll never get rid of them all.

Routining is best misdirection of all.

and again, good for you for actually performing. The more you do the more obvious the answers will become.
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
cryder
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of cryder
Unclesama this was a good lesson and I hope you won't stop training and entertaining people because of that. If you are not experienced enough to deal properly with this spectator and have to perform again with her, here is a little suggestion :
- First perform a routine with an object that she can fully examine. If she still want to check everythink after the routine, answer with the same opposition as you previously did with your wallet, but be subtle and finally let her check everythink if she insist. As there is nothing to find, she will be perplex and this will help you to convince her that there is no "material" explanation. Then it will be easier for you to perform with your wallet or whatever gimmick. If this help you to become more confident, you'll become more convicing.

- Second : prepare carefully your routines before performing, think to the spectator watching it and his reactions. Don't perform before knowing the routine perfectly. Improvisation is dangerous for beginners.
justcookin
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of justcookin
I follow the other posts: the wallet should be as invisible as any 'moves' you might do during any routine. Did she know you? If so, maybe she noticed you having a new wallet?

As cryder says, a spectator should'nt be left thinking it wasn't you that did it, but some sort of gimmick. Scripting and practising over and over is the best way to succeed in this. I'm just an amateur hobbyist, and there are some gimmicks in my 'arsenal' I haven't used yet, although they're over a year old, simply because I want to nail the patter. I'm curious as to what the other members have to say on this matter.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4289 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
As an additional note, for shortlist, you need to be very open with the wallet in the beginning when pulling out the photo or advert or whatever you're using. You must allow the spectator to see and have the image that there is one billet in the wallet sticking out of that card slot. I use neon coloured mini post-its for my billets for Shortlist and the reason I use neon coloured ones is because it helps with burning the image of the open wallet with one billet sticking out in the minds of the spec.
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1157 Posts

Profile of r1z08
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 12:05, dmoses wrote:

Some folks are happy to be entertained, some folks must know how everything is done.
And despite all the careful scripting and misdirection even the best performers... from time to time... occasionally get busted-- or worse-- have a spectator who thinks he's busted them.

One of the tricks I've used to combat this very issue is to approach your audience waving a gun around in the air and firing off a few warning shots so they know you mean business. It's amazing how quiet and attentive they become using this method!

-rob

My attorney has brought it to my attention that I must legally state that the above "method" is only a joke. Please do not try this in the real world. However, if you do, please post your review. Smile
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
459 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Thanks all above great advices.
I've learned a lot.
Maybe the problems are my presentations, the lines and the words I use.
I have to refine them.
I'll check the DVD again to see what I lost in my script.

What Ian said is gold.
"When you devise an actual routine, and carefully think about the framing, and carefully prepare a script so that the words you use and how you deliver them will paint the illusion you want inside the spec's mind, then the wallet and the bits of paper will become virtually invisible and irrelevant in the spec's mind - as they should be."

I'll keep doing this and make it better.
Thank you all.

Best,
YuYen
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
J.CADEAC
View Profile
New user
Paris, France
67 Posts

Profile of J.CADEAC
+ 1 with Mr. Rowland.

and YES ! The problem is your presentation...

It could be the same with the signed card in wallet...

"How did you place it inside ? Can I check your wallet ?

Jérôme
"You must either modify your dreams or magnify your skills".
Withnail
View Profile
Special user
976 Posts

Profile of Withnail
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 08:28, unclesamayen wrote:
Thanks all above great advices.
I've learned a lot.
Maybe the problems are my presentations, the lines and the words I use.
I have to refine them.
I'll check the DVD again to see what I lost in my script.

NO - Don't do that! The stuff on the DVD is NOT the script. It's just the concept and a little bit of fleshing out of a script.

Think of it as the "Script-lite"

The script is what YOU, yourself, ADD to what's already there Smile
Yet again that oaf has destroyed my day
justcookin
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of justcookin
Right now, my SAW is full of scratches, it's bent and it has some worn-out stickers on it - and I'm still wondering whether people will want to check my wallet. Gotta keep practicing my script!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Stealth Assassin Wallet for examination? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL