The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Two words: (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Don'tgeta computervirus.

I wasted almost two days this week cleaning some virus off my computer. I don't even know how I got it.

What a pain in the neck!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
They are using new methods now too, sending files that anti virus doesn't locate.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 20:02, MagicSanta wrote:
They are using new methods now too, sending files that anti virus doesn't locate.

I suspect that that's what happened in my case.

For the record, I ran Combofix, then Malwarebytes, then Avast. Combofix got rid of the worst of it (it had corrupeted Internet Explorer and was continually popping up (fake) windows that said I had a virus and did I want to run my (fake) security software?), Malwarebytes found ten other files that were corrupted, and Avast found nothing. (Avast was just a final check, in essence.)

All three have free versions, by the way. According to my computer geek friend and business partner, there's a special place in heaven for the author of Combofix.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 20:07, S2000magician wrote:

Quote:
On 2010-09-17 20:02, MagicSanta wrote:

I suspect that that's what happened in my case.

Nah. It was probably the pr0n sites.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Get a Mac. I was very much a PC guy, but used a Mac for work. There's still a lot I like about PC, but it's mainly a familiarity with being able to navigate behind the scenes.

Mac is far more user friendly.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
What is a virus?
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 20:13, gdw wrote:
Get a Mac.

Alas, there's a lot of software I use for work - risk analysis, portfolio analysis, bond market simulation, and so on - that doesn't run on a Mac.

At least, not yet.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I found the PCs today as easy to work with as Macs. When I was a tech the two times a Mac did get a virus I was unable to help them mostly because what works for a PC doesn't for a Mac. There are just far fewer virus' designed to go after the Mac.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Why would someone design a virus?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Because people suck. Are you seriously asking what a virus is or are you waiting to say "I have a Mac..."? Macs can and do get virus' but they are just not attractive targets due to numbers.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 23:15, magicfish wrote:
Why would someone design a virus?

I don't know for certain, but I suspect that it's similar to the motivation to vandalize property.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I'm being serious, I don't really know what a virus is but I know it screws up your computer. I just can't understand why anyone would have nothing better to do in life than to inconvenience complete strangers by slowing down their electronic device.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I mean , to me its the lamest thing I've ever heard of. Instead of cow tipping or playing nickey nickey nine doors, you try and frazzle peoples computers? These must be the biggest losers on the planet!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
A virus is a catch all for programs written to spread from computer to computer via different methods or to spy on your computer usage. They can range from just sitting there once infected to slowing down or stopping your computer even making so it won't function again. You an have them emailed to you, in false ads or sites, as files, etc.. People intentionally write them because they get a kick out of beating the system and they are usually punished by being hired and paid by the companies that you pay to protect your computer. Anti viruses are actually viruses in a sense.

So if you get a pop up saying you have a virus and to click on the pop up to scan and get rid of it you are almost certain to be loading a virus which often will trigger other viruses who will offer to remove the virus for pay and if you pay then it will load another virus which they will offer to remove if you pay them more....you get the picture.

When they start putting virus designers on bridges in New Orleans and shooting them that is when, hopefully, they will find something else destructive to do.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
* please do take the trouble to stay alert to hacks and exploits on your PC's operating system. One guy discovered a way to do bad things via DNS - and spent the next few months working with the larger community to find a way to patch the hole he found. That is closer to the spirit of hacking than just causing harm and frustration to typical users.

Unfortunately most internet users these days don't have backups, know how to restore/rebuild their system or care to learn how system exploits work so they can be better prepared for when exposed to something that is actually malicious - same as we arm our audiences against those who would be false prophets.

I put those who leave unsupervised children on the internet as lower than dumb-a$$ tech pranksters. We don't give young children the keys to the car and ask them to drive on our highways alone and unsupervised - so why do we let folks who don't know how their car works and the rules of the road onto the internet unsupervised?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
My last computer purchase was a Mac and, so far, I am not impressed. Everything is just opposite from what I am used to, the keyboard is a joke, it is missing a lot of really useful keys such as a true "Delete", "Home", "PgUp", "PgDn", etc. (no, I don't mean <Command> <Something>). Parallels is a program that lets you run Windows software, but <Delete> doesn't work under Parallels (strange). When you close a program, the program is not really closed (that's just WEIRD). E-mail doesn't work. There is no really good database program to compare to Microsoft Access. Printer drivers do not support all printer features. Blah, blah, blah.

I do like the ease of software installation and removal and the pretty wallpaper...

Nearly all the sales people at the Apple store use PCs. That should tell you something...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I found the paths in Mac to be no better and often less intuitive than found in the new PC op.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2010-09-18 06:42, ClintonMagus wrote:
Nearly all the sales people at the Apple store use PCs. That should tell you something...

It's funny...I was having a discussion with a group of people about PC vs Mac, one of the hardcore Mac guys even went so far as to say that Macs were so great that they even let him use such-and-such PC items that aren't available for Macs, to which I replied "So, what you're saying is that in order to enhance your Mac experience, you use Windows peripherals?" He pretty much had to concede defeat at that point. I've played with Macs, but it's just a very awkward interface for me.

True, more viruses are written for PCs than Macs, because there is a larger market for PCs out there, but Mac viruses are becoming more and more prevalent. If everybody in the world switched over to Macs tomorrow, I can guarantee you there would be boot sector viruses, trojans and the rest, for Macs, very quickly.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2010-09-17 23:33, magicfish wrote:
I mean , to me its the lamest thing I've ever heard of. Instead of cow tipping or playing nickey nickey nine doors, you try and frazzle peoples computers? These must be the biggest losers on the planet!

Nicky Nicky nine doors??? What is this????
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
According to the fount of knowledge, Wikipedia:

Quote:
Knock, Knock, Ginger is a game or prank played by children in many cultures. It involves knocking on the front door (or ringing the doorbell) of a victim, then running away before the door can be answered. The game has been played since the 19th century.

Victims of this prank are not likely to call the police, but if they decide to, the "doorbell ditcher" can face charges of trespassing and Disturbing the Peace, though in the United Kingdom trespass is a civil matter and not a criminal matter so the police will not compile a case for a victim.

It is also known as Nikki Nikki Nine Doors (in Canada), Ding-Dong Ditch or Doorbell Ditch (in the United States and Canada), Thunder and Lightning (in Northern Ireland), Chappy (in Scotland), Knick-Nacking (in the Republic of Ireland), Bobby Knock or "Rat A Tat Ginger" (in Wales), Ding Dong Dash (in Australia), or Pinpon Dash (in Japan), sometimes referred to as "Knick-Knocking". It's called "Bell-Fast" in Northern Ireland, a parody of the capital Belfast.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Two words: (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL