The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MEMENTO - Regal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
755 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Yeah...the talk about my sex life...funny....
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Hey David,

Wasn't the picked card being the Ace of Hearts awfully suspicious in your LADS demo.

Was that an accident?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
755 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I love those guys, but with all those jokes about forcing a card I think some people might have missed the point that THERE IS NO FORCE!!!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Yes that is what I love about Memento - No forces, easy control, you could do it blindfolded really.

To me the presentation is what is awesome and fun which can be seen in the teaser trailer - where David offers the spec a choice, then stops them - then offer again, stops them... having ful along the way. Then offering the spec the fairest possible face up free choice possible.

The gag about being married in the State of " " at the end - hmmm. I need to figure out how to work that with a male spectator and still be funny but I will come up with something. I love Memento!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Hey DR.

I didn't think there was, which was why I asked the question.

Thanks for clearing that up Smile

JK
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
The gag about being married in the State of " " at the end - hmmm. I need to figure out how to work that with a male spectator and still be funny but I will come up with something. I love Memento!

Say either Massachusetts or New Hampshire and with the right audience it will be hilarious Smile
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4217 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Just got it in the mail, excited to go through the DVD Smile
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
755 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Here's the alternate handling I promised, the one where the selection is tabled. It's down and dirty, no spectator is with me so I don't really perform the trick (see the regular demo for that), but you'll get the idea. The cards are not cut or treated - you can probably figure out what's going on. If not, I'll have an explanation video up tomorrow for people who own MEMENTO. If you email me at regal@regalmagic.com I'll send you the link - I don't want the explanation public.

Here's the alternate handling:

Click Me

By the way, in the explanation video I explain the changes, but I DON'T explain the workings of MEMENTO...

Enjoy.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
755 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Fixed the link...I think.

An interesting element of this other version is the fact that the magician never needs to know the identity of the selected card. In fact, the card in the block could be revealed and displayed first, if that is desired, then the freely-selected card can be turned over to show the perfect match.
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
I actually thought up a new way to perform this that uses the cop out move mixed with the prediction effect. So basically what I do is have the spectator select the card and I lose it in the deck and instead of having the block in the deck on the table I have it in my pocket and I have the ? card on the table and while they're looking at that card I'm doing the move from the card to wallet and then I table the deck (if there is a table) and then I just do the rest the same only it's in my pocket instead of on the table in the box.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
755 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Matthew -

I think that is a nice organic way to go. The case method is a no-palm method for those people who prefer it.

David
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
755 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Btw, notice that my above post was made at 5:15 AM my time...

I have sleep issues.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1701 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Blame the DVDs...
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Watch the brilliant effect, Rule of Three: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CytuXsCbL0 and order it from www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I like this new handling. Very strong.
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
Here's my review of it:

Price: For what you get I think it's a great deal. 5/5

Teaching: The teaching is great and is great quality there's nothing left untouched, but I don't really like the bonus effect at all because it's a signed card to the block and since you can't hand it out you have a souvenir that you can't give out to the spectator so it's not exactly great thinking on David's part but other than that it's great. 5/5

Quality of materials: the stuff that comes with it is great and if treated properly this stuff will last you a lifetime and will be a great addition to many card workers/mentalists arsenal.

Dificulty: I'd say if you can hold a deck of cards you can perform this effect you couldn't get much easier than this effect. The angles are great but you can't let people get right behind you, other than that you have got great angles for this effect.

Applications: This would be a great effect for close-up workers but not really for stage and will be great for mentalists and card magicians because it's both card magic and mentalism as well because it's kind of like a thought of card effect.

Overall: I'd say it's a great effect and even though you can't hand it out most people won't care because they'll really believe that it is trapped inside that clear lucite box anyways and some of the best effects out there aren't examinable (Invisible Deck comes to mind and also Twisted Sisters and Extreme Burn or most bill switches) and they still kill when we perform them, I'm going to give it a solid 5/5 for this, if you liked the review please comment.
sthielman
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
128 Posts

Profile of sthielman
Nice review Matthew.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Thanks for reviewing Matthew! I love my Memento.

I received one of the first batches that David sent out and right now I'm still not 100% comfortable in trying to perform it in front of any of my co-workers until I get the whole patter and "schtick" down - to me the patter and playfulness that David exemplifies in the demo at the MC and Dean Dill's are KEY to making Momento a winner. I want to emulate that and then of course as usual I will make it my own.

The moves to me are easy and I am 100% comfortable on that level(OK - one single move!). That is what makes Memento so cool is that it offers a unique way to do a prediction, unlike anything else that I have in my repertoire. The props are beautiful, dramatic, and worth every penny of the sales price.

I noticed that David really emphasizes the block multiple times - with the knuckles on the card case before opening it up, and then he seems to hold the block vertically after taking it out and banging it on the table a bit...which is of course dramatic but also helps to "tune" the prediction a bit.

If anyone bought Memento on Penguin, maybe a few of you guys could add some reviews there too as I think those reviews always help to move some units for a good guy like DR...
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4217 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I bought mine at penguin, I'll review it there Smile
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3690 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Thanks, David, for the link... I like it, almost as good as my version merely mentioning a card (by the spectator) Smile ... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
755 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Hey Jan -

Just for that I dare you to post a clip of your version!

Although it is interesting that, in the alternate handling I posted, not only does the magician never know the freely-selected card...if desired the chooser could also not know the selected card until the very end, keeping it face down until even after the clear block was displayed with the "favorite card" inside.

Not saying it's better - just an interesting quality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MEMENTO - Regal (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL