The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MEMENTO - Regal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I always do MEMENTO as a prediction (the effect to the audience is that you have a DUPLICATE of the card they chose displayed in the block) but I don’t like to rule things out…so I played around. For a solo effect, where the only thing that happens is a signed card going to a block, I don't think I'd do Memento because then the premise of the entire routine is reduced to the block. However, in the right context, such as a final beat to an ambitious card routine, or an Everywhere & Nowhere effect (the way wallets are often used), it can work very well. I use patter to the effect of “I loved this time I spent with you, so I’m going to keep a Memento of the occasion [produce block]…is it okay if I put this on my mantle? Fantastic!” I shake their hands and put away the block, and Holy "Cow" moment is there. It really is thrilling, and simply more beautiful than a card just being withdrawn from a pocket or wallet. Imagine a similar effect, if your reached into your pocket at the end of an ambitious card routine and showed the audience their signed card in a little wooden picture frame - the point is not that it can never come out, the point is the card magically transported itself to the frame, and it's a lovely final moment for the routine.

So I respect all points of view, but my point of view is that MEMENTO is a utility sort of thing. A very talented magician recently called me up from across the waters just to tell me what he's worked out with the prop. I am not at liberty to say more, but I will say this: It's a route that involves a premise which adds layers of emotion, mystery, and will fool, fool, fool. It made me very happy to hear that MEMENTO is becoming a tool toward personalized presentations, as anyone who has read my books knows that I feel that the one thing magic is need of is more interpretation. We go out to see singers who interpret, dancers, actors...all performing arts. Who gets dressed up and says, "Honey, hurry up, we don't want to miss that singer who is the same as every other singer."

For the above reason, I was delighted to read about your Thurston presentation, Michael. How great is that? There's a big smile on my face - such a clever and apt use of the prop.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
I have been playing around with using a Mene Tekel deck and Momento talk about wow factor. The card they named is on the table in plan site and out of my card box comes a duplicate of their card in the crystal. Very Strong!!!
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
O.K., that's exactly what I'm going to do also once I get hold of it (still didn't arrive in Germany)except that my Mene Tekel (2) will be a memorized deck with 26 cards in between the duplicates. Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I was going to post a video of my tabled-card handling - same idea. I make up a deck of 26 duplicate pairs and mark every lower card of the pair.

a) Cut gimmick to middle
b) Dribble top half of face up deck (yes, this works with cards from a regular deck, and it's very subtle)
c) Turn deck face down, cut gimmick to bottom (this is very easy needless to say)
d) Have a card picked from face down spread, and allow them to change their mind. That's important, I think.
e) Sight the back of the card to know where the remaining card of the pair lies.
f) Have the selection tabled face up and cull the dup to the face.

Done.

Personally, I've been using a regular deck, as people simply do not suspect the method, but yes, I understand why tabling the card has appeal, and may switch over in situations where I am not using the deck for other things.

I'm so glad you are enjoying the prop - it means a lot to me.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
My goal will be (that's why I'm talking about 2 M T decks) that the spectator will just mention a card which I remove then from the deck. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Love it. Going the extra mile to mess people up. You must have a strong act.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Thanks, David, I think so (others too); but it's quite simple: going more often than other want extra miles has the huge advantage to produce very strong effects and improving presentation too. And as not many are willing to do so it's good for me Smile. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
... and as Al Baker wrote already so many years ago most magicians stop thinking to early... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
For those of you who own this, I have a different method for the card box. First let me say I have been using Memento for table hopping so I gave this little gem a workout last Friday and Saturday evening.
I use two card boxes, a blue bike with my dup set of cards and a red bike card box that has my memento block in it.

For my setup I cut a V in the top of the red card box the wide part toward the top. This works just as well as the method shown on the DVD plus the box is a lot sturdier. When I bring the red box to my cards in my hand, the gimmick and card is on the outside of the card case, when I slide out the crystal block everything comes out together.

For cleanup it resets in under a minute and I do it right there at the table as I am gathering my items to put back in my pockets.

For my routine I am doing a comedy type routine I am using a small steno pad to write down each step of the revelation process of the card they are thinking of. I first force them to pick red using a red marker, then miss call the suite, and then for what seems to be my final prediction I have written on the pad “you will pick my favorite card”. I then before showing them the prediction I wrote, ask them if they would be amazed if in this deck of card I happened to have their card. This card gets tabled as I state that is my favorite card. I then tell them to read my prediction TA DA!!.

Up to this point everything is very funny and people are laughing at my attempt to be a mind reader.

So to prove it I show them my memento, it is at that point the jaws hit the table all the funny business is over and true magic just happened.

This utility is so slick, everything is so powerful, really a reputation maker.

- Floyd

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Thanks, Floyd. That "V" cut-out of the card box is a gem. Just awesome.
bradrosa
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of bradrosa
I would like to know.
Is the gimmick can be check by the audience after the show?
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
This has been discussed in this thread several times. No, the magician does not hand the spectator a solid clear block with a card permanently trapped inside. You can read how I present Memento further up on this page.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Glad that's finally been cleared up.

One question, though: Can the magician hand the spectator the solid clear block with the card permanently trapped inside?

All kidding aside, I am very tempted to pick this up. Just so many cool presentational possibilities.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
pduffie
View Profile
Veteran user
Scotland
340 Posts

Profile of pduffie
It's also a pretty cool heckler stopper: just pull the block from your pocket and crack them over the head with it — replace in your pocket and you're instantly reset for the next troublemaker.
Alternative Magic
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

You could say, "Very funny, sir. Hey, you like movies? What's this line from? (Pull out the block and start rapping his head with it) 'Hello, McFlyyyy! Anyone home!'"
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
No no Cameron....

Wrong movie dude, c'mon.

"I want to introduce you to my little friend...!!!"

Wap!

Are we getting off subject here? No you can;t hand the block out at all, it is a prediction effect, etc. I do like the way David knocks on the card case before pulling the block out though.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
"Can the magician hand the spectator the solid clear block with the card permanently trapped inside?"

This question has been asked several times and people have said, "No it can't". Actually, it *can* physically be handed to people for examination... whereupon they will find out exactly how the effect is done.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Ummm well I hate to make a small point into something here but you can have them touch it and I do!!.

How:
While I am holding the block I turn to the person on my right and say solid crystal as I rap my knuckles on the top of the block I then motion for the person on my right to do the same and confirm for me. For those watching it gives them the same feeling as it was inspected by one of their own. Never has anyone asked to hold it, the little confirmation is enough.

Can you let them pick it up and hold it no! However proper audience management with many of the effects I perform is a must and I am sure that goes without saying for most performers.

--Floyd

Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Great idea Floyd.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Very nice idea!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MEMENTO - Regal (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL