The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MEMENTO - Regal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3689 Posts

Profile of JanForster
David, it did arrive today. It's a lot of value for small money. Excellent. Now I'm going to make up my version where the spectator merely names a card. Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
754 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Jan - Did you see Floyd's "V" idea in this thread? Very good thinking.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3689 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes,I read it, very good thinking, I tried both ways. And how nice to have two gimmicks, specially for my version Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2849 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Received this as well recently. Great idea and quality items for the price.

Now here is a little downside if you want writing to appear inside the block: If the spectator picks a black card say 5 or above it will be hard for them to see what you have written. Lower pip cards and most of the red cards are no problem. You will also have to be carefull with the block because over time it will scratch if not handled with care. Other than that-- Well Done!!
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Matthew U
View Profile
Loyal user
205 Posts

Profile of Matthew U
Memento - I brought memento a couple of days ago and I like it very much . There ate great ideas on the DVD you get great things for your money . It's great as they can name any card and it will be the same as your favourite card . It's very clever and it's dpmething I will be doing . Well done David
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4213 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Put in my order!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2010-10-07 11:50, davidpaul$ wrote:
Received this as well recently. Great idea and quality items for the price.

Now here is a little downside if you want writing to appear inside the block: If the spectator picks a black card say 5 or above it will be hard for them to see what you have written. Lower pip cards and most of the red cards are no problem. You will also have to be carefull with the block because over time it will scratch if not handled with care. Other than that-- Well Done!!

That is a good point about the black marker writing "My Favorite Card" being a little more difficult to see if they pick a black card. I noticed the same.

It would be easy to pick another color of Sharpie ink - perhaps purple, green, whatever... to stand out on both black and red cards. I'll buy a few Sharpies and report back here next week. Great comment though...
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Looking forward to playing with this!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I re-did the photo frame with using a standard BLUE SHARPIE pen as opposed to the standard black.

I experimented with about other Sharpie colors (red, green,purple, yellow, orange) and none looked as good to me as the blue - against both a black and red background.

Here are some samples - Blue is the way to go in my opinion with Memento...

Love this effect - thanks again to David Regal and all the contributors here.

Click here to view attached image.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Here is the second image...with a black playing card.

Click here to view attached image.
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Nice
Thanks Brett
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2849 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2010-10-10 19:18, saysold1 wrote:
Here is the second image...with a black playing card.

Thanks for posting the picture.....I'll try it on the higher spade and club cards.
Also...maybe using a small piece of white paper with the words written on it would solve any issues.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Just my view Davidpaul$ but writing directly on the acrylic plastic (rather than a piece of paper) as Regal recommends probably looks cleanest... as it looks like the writing was placed directly on the selected card as the prediction.

Experiment but I have found that the BLUE Sharpie really looks best with both card colors, and even the court cards.
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
The "V" box and using a Blue Sharpie are really great ideas. I'll need to update my box and use a blue pen.
Memento is indeed a well constructed idea and gimmick from David. I agree that this presentation should be a Prediction rather than a signed card to cube.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
754 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I perform Memento as a prediction (as in the demo) but I have found other utilities. I received an email the other day asking about loading a signed card into Memento. Here is what I wrote back:

Hi xxx –

You can absolutely load a signed card on the fly, and there is zero delay. I remove MEMENTO from my pocket (loaded with the card) and it takes the same about of time as it takes to remove any object from the pocket – it’s that fast. To do this, you need to cop a card as you might for performing card-to-pocket. The version I show online does not require palming. Also, the loaded MEMENTO cannot be examined. It can be tossed in the air, dropped onto the table, etc. When I use a signed card with MEMENTO it’s not as a stand-alone trick, but as a climax to an ambitious card routine or an Everywhere and Nowhere routine. I say something to the effect of: “I’ve really enjoyed these few minutes I’ve spent with you, and I’m going to keep a memento of the occasion…I think I’ll keep it on my mantle….” Then I produce the clear block from my pocket, displaying their signed card. It’s a great moment, and much prettier than just pulling their card from the pocket.

Hope this helps!

David

So, those are my thoughts. Memento is a terrific prediction effect (so says humble me), but I think it's fair to say that the fact a signed card can be instantly loaded possesses some opportunities and utility. In the right circumstances, it has a place.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3689 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I've to say that I would use it only as a prediction effect. By the way I've done it now a few times for (experienced) magis and while they get parts of it I still could floor them because I do use two (M-T) decks in memorized order with duplicates 26 cards away from each other. They couldn't understand the fact that there are merely naming any card. Memento is really a great idea and versatile. Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
754 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I'll be posting a (prediction) handling using a non-straight deck pretty soon. My son came over and shot me doing it yesterday.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Been playing with this the past couple of days and I think I'll be using it as a prediction effect rather than a signed card effect. It's just too strong not to.

Very practical and the reset is a snap. I'm lovin' this.
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Hi Guys this was reviewed live by Craig and Dave at the LADS convention Birmingham and is featured on this weeks Wizard Product Review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_9WmuwKRzU

Best wishes
Jim
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
These guys crack me up - the British humor, talk of David's sex life thrown in, what a hoot! Keep up the great work Craig and Dave!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MEMENTO - Regal (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL