The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MEMENTO - Regal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Thanks, guys. Smile
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1320 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Cameron you are the man!

Great idea

Craig
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
754 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Okay...it's great. Cameron, you made my day. Such a terrific, terrific trick.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6903 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Thank you! Really glad you enjoyed it.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
754 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Jan -

Okay...I heard your presentation for MEMENTO was freaking out guys at Mindvention. Are you going to make me suffer and wonder?
booswain
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of booswain
Just wanted to let everyone know what a quality item Memento is. Quality product. Everything except a deck included and very nice dvd. Good work all around.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3688 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On 2010-11-02 09:44, David Regal wrote:
Jan -

Okay...I heard your presentation for MEMENTO was freaking out guys at Mindvention. Are you going to make me suffer and wonder?

No, but you know what I do... using 2 MT decks, memorized, mates 26 cards apart each other... o. k. the handling... I'm very busy in the moment, but I will show it soon on youtube. O.k.? Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4813 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Good work Cameron. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
JD_UK
View Profile
Regular user
129 Posts

Profile of JD_UK
I've been using this with a red/blue MT deck & I quite like it!

First reveal their card as the only blue backed one in the deck & then revealing I have a duplicate inside a clear block!

I just don't know if it's overkill!

Has anyone tried this as an end to an ambitious card routine?
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
Nice one David you always have great ideas
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Looks great, I am getting this now! I actually thought at first it would be stronger to have the card signed, but then thought it would be stronger not signed, and done originally as David suggests. Because if it is signed I believe that the audience is more inclined to assume that you put it in there mechanically somehow. Whereas if they are not sure that it is their exact signed card it makes them wonder whether or not you actually did predict the card they were merely thinking of, and sealed it permanantly in the acrylic block. Ingenious! I quit buyin magic for a long time as I already have too much, and now because of finding this randomly the vicious cycle will continue again! *** you David!! Take my $55 as a MEMENTO. Lol. Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2010-09-26 11:53, mikenewman wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-23 00:10, David Regal wrote:
I asked Wayne to put together a straight-through performance of MEMENTO. You can find it here:

CLICK, BABY, CLICK

This is a great looking effect, but when the video says "Un-cut", it shouldn't have ANY editing. It had several cuts (edits), and one right when heat is in the Crystal case...
Now, We all know that the editing didn't cover ANYTHING, as the "moves" were already done...
But I guess being in Video production, it just bugged me to see it called that and having the edits... and yes, I am being a "stickler", so be it...

Again, great looking effect, and I have bought and loved several David Regal effects. I am sure this is no diffrent in top-notch quality and excellent teaching style.

Whomever buys this will NOT be dissapointed I am sure!

Mike

There is also some camera zoom is to make the work easier. But you also have to remember that misdirection does not work on video like it does in real life, and in real life you can't rewind 20 times to watch for the moves.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On 2010-10-03 16:02, David Regal wrote:
I always do MEMENTO as a prediction (the effect to the audience is that you have a DUPLICATE of the card they chose displayed in the block) but I don’t like to rule things out…so I played around. For a solo effect, where the only thing that happens is a signed card going to a block, I don't think I'd do Memento because then the premise of the entire routine is reduced to the block. However, in the right context, such as a final beat to an ambitious card routine, or an Everywhere & Nowhere effect (the way wallets are often used), it can work very well. I use patter to the effect of “I loved this time I spent with you, so I’m going to keep a Memento of the occasion [produce block]…is it okay if I put this on my mantle? Fantastic!” I shake their hands and put away the block, and Holy "Cow" moment is there. It really is thrilling, and simply more beautiful than a card just being withdrawn from a pocket or wallet. Imagine a similar effect, if your reached into your pocket at the end of an ambitious card routine and showed the audience their signed card in a little wooden picture frame - the point is not that it can never come out, the point is the card magically transported itself to the frame, and it's a lovely final moment for the routine.

So I respect all points of view, but my point of view is that MEMENTO is a utility sort of thing. A very talented magician recently called me up from across the waters just to tell me what he's worked out with the prop. I am not at liberty to say more, but I will say this: It's a route that involves a premise which adds layers of emotion, mystery, and will fool, fool, fool. It made me very happy to hear that MEMENTO is becoming a tool toward personalized presentations, as anyone who has read my books knows that I feel that the one thing magic is need of is more interpretation. We go out to see singers who interpret, dancers, actors...all performing arts. Who gets dressed up and says, "Honey, hurry up, we don't want to miss that singer who is the same as every other singer."

For the above reason, I was delighted to read about your Thurston presentation, Michael. How great is that? There's a big smile on my face - such a clever and apt use of the prop.

Yeah that is what I was thinking. But it also would just kill me thinking "man if only they knew this was their actual card". But if they know that then the block draws attention and suspicion, because then they need to know how was their card placed in there, and where is the secret door? This trick is evil lol. But I love it!
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Doomo
This IS a very clever piece. While not really for walkaround, it is a GREAT set piece. In otherwords, if they are paying ya for a formal show... do it!
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5292 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Ha! And who the heck will pay me for a formal show?! Alas, no one. But I still get to do this one and it always goes over well. Smile

Thanks!

Jim
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
1999 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Would work with two spectators with walkaround, one can be the table with their hands. Or just use the card to pocket method.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » MEMENTO - Regal (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL