The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » How does this happen? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Smoking cured my hayfever, and just mentally ignoring it, seemed to work for me.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2010-09-20 15:51, Zerububle wrote:
Blistering is not possible as the reaction is only partially created by the subconscious. The sub reacts to the burn. It cannot create the burn in the sense of how excessive heat alters the skin on a cellular level. Rashes etc are a result of blood flow and/or burst capillaries.

That's an interesting limiting belief you have.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The reason why we give the suggestion that no blister will appear is not to prevent blistering, but to appear caring and sympathetic to our audience. No other purpose in phrasing the suggestion in that way.
Whether or not blisters can be caused (or hayfever relieved) through psychological processes is an entirely different matter - and an interesting one.
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Careful with that stigmata routine Smile
you might get more than you bargain for and start your own religion.
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
Jay Mack
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Jay Mack
I really like the idea, obviously having no medical training and rather little experience in hypnosis (learning away) I can safely say I believe its possible =)

Ok at the very least I like to think that it would be possible.

Im not to keen on the idea of it being a blister (seen some of those things turn nasty) but I'm certainly up for the idea of being able to produce a mark of some sorts, as Anansi said think of the possibilities (ill be honest I really like the idea of being able to produce the mark of a card some where on the unsuspecting participant, I think the effect it could have would be amazing (but that's just me)

If anyone here was to start a religion, I wouldn't be overly worried, its not as though the ones we have are making a change for good (apologise to the religious few) in fact I reckon a modern day messiah would be able to conjure up some unbelievable miracles.
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
It would put a whole new spin on PK touches. Like the work of Jerome Finley but with 'physical' evidence to accompany the sensations.
Imagine, you could pre-show and get a spec's pin number and do a routine about them not being able to lie to you and tell them that the body always surrenders the truth (and if they don't blister-you have the no. anyway). Maybe something similar with Kurotsuke.
Bizzarist's could do a whole routine on Witchfinders and witches marks and spin a yarn about some witches able to transfer witches marks to another person temporarily.

Oh, and I was joshing about the stigmata routine, maybe something less offensive like a 'Saint Sebastian' routine.....
ars est celare artem
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Although I'd be delighted to be proved wrong I don't think this is possible, despite all the clinical claims.
Catweazle's correct of course. Someone needs to out there and burn someone. Someone not too nice obviously. Where's mindpunisher by the way? Helloooooo?
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
He's enjoying a 'session' at the gym.
ars est celare artem
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Bob- why would you burn me? You still have years ahead to learn from me ;-)

Actually I am indeed off to the gym in about 20 mins...great place.
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Well, so much for the great blister challenge, not one taker from all the hypnotists around the world!
where has the sense of pioneering adventure gone??

I could never find a willing subject(i lost my mojo and no longer indulge), its a tricky one. I think if it had any chance of working the subject would need to have total belief in the power of hypnosis to the point that they would be almost petrified, these people are unlikely to want to try it due to fear, so its a catch 22

Bobser hit it I think with ..."Although I'd be delighted to be proved wrong I don't think this is possible, despite all the clinical claims"
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
When I was a kid performing magic, I often tried to prove that the box was empty before I showed something in it. After a time, I realized that some people would never believe. So I ignored them.

When I did mentalism I often tried to prove some effect wasn't a trick the way some person figured it was. Eventually, I put them off with what I called the "Who the F... are you?" response. When some unknown, self-centered little dweeb came up and said, "If you can't do X, I've proven that you can't do it and therefore nobody can," my response was, "You're an unimportant little dwarf and I wouldn't waste my time with you. You're nothing now, you'll be nothing tomorrow, and 100 years from now nobody will have cared that you ever lived. I have no reason to waste my time now or ever proving anything to you. Now, go back to the bridge you live under and leave the adults alone." It worked very nicely on know-it-all pseudo-skeptics.

Now, as a hypnotist, when I see people every day doing things they couldn't do when not in trance, I realize that those who doubt the phenomena the mind can produce are really just showing their own lack of knowledge or fear that their limited understanding of the nature of the universe might be threatened. For example, I'm sure they'd never look at:

http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cgi....../233.pdf
Ullman & Dudek, 1960, "On the psyche and warts: II. Hypnotic suggestion and warts," Psychosomatic Medicine, 22:68-76
Rulison, 1942, "Warts, A statistical study of nine hundred and twenty one cases," Archives of Dermatology and Syphilology, 46:66-81.
Asher, 1956, "Respectable Hypnosis," British Medical Journal, 1: 309-312.
R.F.Q. Johnson and T.X. Barber, 1976, "Hypnotic suggestions for blister formation: Subjective and physiological effects," American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, 18: 172-181.
Mason, 1955, "Icthyosis and hypnosis," British Medical Journal, 2: 57-58.
http://www.scientificexploration.org/jou......elli.pdf
M. Ullman, 1947, "Herpes Simplex and second degree burn induced under hypnosis, American Journal of Psychiatry, 103: 828-830.
Clawson and Swade, 1975, "The hypnotic control of blood flow and pain: The cure of warts and the potential for the use of hypnosis in the treatment of cancer," American Journal of Clinical Hypnosis, 17: 160-169.

Since the people here are avid researchers and investigators, I'm sure none of them would fit into the "Who the F... are you?" category or the fear of their limitations category.
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Fantastic work sir!
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
212 Posts

Profile of JonChase
No, it's bloody stupid.

There isn't a living hypnotist alive that can do more than cause slight blushing. The subconscious mind is powerful. It isn't that powerful.

Okay so it can be taught to ignore pain, maybe even to reduce blood flow by keeping the blood pressure down. That's what happens when people stick pins through their arms, they still bloody bleed and it still hurts. Or rather the nerves fire, the pain signal however is ignored. I'd lie to see the pain reduction and stop bleeding hypnotists do it when a major artery has been pierced.

A blister is a product of the exchange of heat melting the skin and producing protective mucus. IF it could be produced by suggestion I for one would **** loads of videos everywhere doing it. But there isn't one. Likewise there isn't a genuine video of the reverse happening.

It's a myth, however it is great to include the line in your suggestion as it adds drama, and hypnosis should be dramatic.
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I don't know some of my skits can cause very severe blushing.

I can't say one way or the other. If there is academic research claiming it can be do we just ignore it?

I remember on the news many years ago there was a gang war with the chinese in glasgow I think it was Glasgow? One guy had been seriously slashed by a meat clever. They said on the news the only reason he survived was because he slowed down the bleeding using his mind. Otherwise he would've been dead before arriving at the hospital. Was on the news.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I thought stigmatism was a proven fact, no?
My beliefs were that it happens all over the world. The interesting thing being the personal belief of the individual as to how Christ was penetrated, ie: through the hands or the wrists. If the stigmartyr believed it was the hands then they had it in their hands also and if the wrists then the wrists.
Does anyone know if there is particularly strong evidence on this?
If it can be totally scientifically proven (then that would mean it is based on the individual's beliefs) then hypnosis would be able to play a part in this.
BUT... whilst I know that under hypnosis the individual can control pain (to the degree where they don't even believe it's there) making holes in flesh is...... BIG!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Quote:
On 2010-09-23 07:04, JonChase wrote:
No, it's bloody stupid.

There isn't a living hypnotist alive that can do more than cause slight blushing.

That's an interesting limiting belief you have.
Blessings on your for having your set of beliefs.
I wonder why you feel it's necessary to infect others with your own limitations?
Well, that's your business, I suppose.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, it's bloody stupid.

There isn't a living hypnotist alive that can do more than cause slight blushing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought you told us you broke somebody's leg?
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4100 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On 2010-09-28 18:42, mindpunisher wrote:
Quote:

No, it's bloody stupid.

I thought you told us you broke somebody's leg?

I'm pretty sure the incident Jon mentioned was a stage management issue as opposed to an issue with the hypnosis/suggestion.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Its still hypnosis. You can't separate it it. It's all part of the the same activity.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4100 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On 2010-09-28 20:15, mindpunisher wrote:
Its still hypnosis. You can't separate it it. It's all part of the the same activity.

Not at all. Jon's example is more akin of forgetting to have the stage/spot light shined onto the stage steps on a very dark stage and then having the spectator accidentally trip on the steps, causing a fall, and voila, broken leg/hip/whatever. It's like forgetting to suggest "sleep and stand, sleep and stand" along with being ready to catch the person, and instead just commanding sleep without anticipating a subject who slumps/falls like a sack of potatoes, yes they took the command sleep and followed it but it's entirely the hypnotitst's carelessness for not being acutely aware and anticipating such a normal occurrence. Can't blame the hypnosis as being dangerous, it's basically an example of horrible stage and audience management. It's like if I was to do a card trick, like Jim Pace's the Web, but perform it with the spectators right at the edge of a curb. Now, the effect makes a lot of people jump and accidentally a spectator jumps into oncoming traffic, can't really blame the effect since I already know the possibility of spectators jumping and running off as being a normal reaction to that trick but I was stupid enough to perform it right on the edge of the curb with active traffic. Bad audience management.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » How does this happen? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL