The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Greenpeace (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2010-09-21 11:26, critter wrote:
I knew someone years ago who was considered an environmental terrorist.
He used to sabotage logging equipment.
I'm afraid if I say any more about him nobody would believe it.

I believe you, more, more!!
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I watched a documentary last night on the French bombing of the Greenpeace boat Rainbow Warrior in New Zealand, in which a photographer died. I don't know how aware Americans were of this incident, but it caused a huge commotion in Pacific countries.

The French were conducting underwater nuclear tests in the Pacific and those of us who live here were very unhappy about it. In Cairns where I live all the tourist attractions with the flags of many nations flying in welcome out front, took down the French flag. I took home the one from where I worked and burnt it nightly in my cabaret show for easy applause. I was very pleased to discover that if I lightly misted it with metho only the metho burnt and the flag survived for repeated immolation. Local French restaurants and pastry shops changed their names to become 'Swiss' or anything but the dreaded 'French'. We didn't have to rename 'fries' because until the recent domination of the American Agency for Imperial Expansion (joke guys, joke), usually known as Macca's, fries were called chips here.

The Rainbow Warrior was scheduled to sail for the testing area to protest or even disrupt the testing - I think, a worthy aim. The French military, in a terrorist action, bombed it - and a couple of their agents were jailed for a short time. This new documentary discovered that one of the French military officers involved who was not prosecuted is now working in the US for an arms company, selling weapons to your military, and ironically, also to the New Zealand military.

While I haven't watched the clip above, Greenpeace have done some worthy things and I'm glad they are fighting to stop the Japanese harpooning whales in the Southern Pacific for so called 'scientific research'.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm all for stopping the whale hunting and dolphin killing and all that. I just figure if that kid is going to make threats we should be allowed to beat him with a baby seal.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I watched the clip - not hard to dislike the kid - but what is it with the bags under his eyes?
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2713 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Destiny the blowing up of the Greenpeace Ship Rainbow Warrior made very big news here in the The U.S. as well. I don't know how many here remember that however. The French were wrong in that act and should still get you know what for it.

I agree that some of the causes Greenpeace is for are worthy ones for them to take action on. I don't agree with everything they stand for. The commercial with the kid was very over reactionary and I doubt if the kid even really knew what he was talking about. I didn't believe a word he said either. Not just because he was a child still. He could have been a 55 year old man and I would have still called B.S.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I support Paul Watson and the Sea Shepards.

Rammin', jammin, smashin, and anything else they can do to disrupt the Japanese who hunt whales illegally.

Watson used to be with Greenpeace, but left to go ram some illegal fishing boats.

http://www.seashepherd.org/

Because they FIGHT for what's right.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Silver, never would have guessed you for being passionate about this subject.

silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Paul Watson's and the Sea Shepard home port is close to where I live.

I like the fact that while the others talk, he fires up the engines and goes and "does".

I will say however, that there is an element of hidden danger to Watson, and to the Sea Shepard bunch.
I wouldn't be surprised one day to read that they were involved in something quite nasty......perhaps deadly.
(something far nastier than the recent "ramming off the bow" of one of the Sea Shepard boats by a Japanese whaling vessel).

It's important to note that Watson has never been one to screw around.....he's meant real, down and dirty, dangerous business from day #1.

As for the whales themselves........I've always maintained that any living thing that actually thinks, reasons, and displays what humans might call an abnormally high IQ doesn't deserve to be killed by mindless Japanese money-grubbers in order to fill some kids school lunch box with "meat".
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm with Silverking. I think sea mammals like whales and dolphins are not equal to cows, which kind of stand there. As one against phony agendas it bothers me that they say it is scientific hunting, no, it isn't, it is for the high end food market.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
It's always ripe for debate (and I don't presume to "know for sure"), but once you start getting into the sort of intelligence levels of whales and dolphins....you have to wonder if they experience rudimentary (or advanced) emotions.

As soon as you get into the concept of "emotions"........it's just wrong to kill them for food......it's even worse to kill them for science.

But I agree with Santa 100%.......to lie about why you're killing them just adds salt to the world-wide-wound, and insults the rest of the countries in the world that find Japan's whale hunting disgusting and really not something that one needs to do in this day and age in order to put something in your kids lunch, or offer up as an appy with your Saki.

And thus we have a need for Paul Watson and the Sea Shepards .......gettin' ready to ram some scum-bag Japanese whalers.
I like to think that when that huge, pitch black Sea Shepard comes over the horizon, the Japanese whalers hearts beat just a little faster.....wondering if this is the night they're going to spend bobbing around in the Atlantic Ocean.

Obviously Watson doesn't ram every boat he comes across.......but he rams enough of them that the rest of the whaling fleet have to wonder if they're to be his next target.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15772 Posts

Profile of tommy
I like fish. I have just aquired a Bar & Bistro that is fish heaven. They call themselves the smart set.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think most people, well clearly most people, have not seen whales or dolphins in the wild. It is a great thing and there is absolutely no reason at all to kill these animals.

If someone wants to ram a ship and sink it in the name of science what can ya say about it? @%@^ happens.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
As to the intelligence of dolphins, that was pretty much confirmed by John Lilly and others long ago. And every day still more surprises.

I remember taking my son to the New York Aquarium, and at the end there was a snack bar which sold pretzels, drinks, and . . . fish sandwiches.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Fish ain't no dolphin....dolphins eat fish too.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4755 Posts

Profile of landmark
Probably at the NY Aquarium snack shop.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Before Balducci gets back let it be known that we are aware there is a fish called a dolphin aka Mahi Mahi....which is yummy
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Dolphins are the smartest life forms on the planet.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15772 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well you can't argue with Prince Charles.

You Should Live in Shanty Towns to "Save the Planet"

http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/32137858
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
It was always fun to see the gasps of outrage when Key West tourists saw "dolphin" on the menu.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Quote:
On 2010-09-23 13:16, tommy wrote:
Well you can't argue with Prince Charles.

You Should Live in Shanty Towns to "Save the Planet"

http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/32137858

That's a great idea! We could all move into Clarence House when the banks steal our homes.

Thanks for the invite Chuckie!
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Greenpeace (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL