The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Just finished my Magic room (Man cave) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
obeytheeye
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of obeytheeye
Nice! where did you get the magnetic reed switch? I've looked on line but there are so many it's difficult to figure out which one would work with the animated frame.

BTW here is a link for the skull:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/Party-Season......SS185095

It run's off an infrared remote with the remote hidden in a mat. I hacked the mat and extended the wires under my rug to the table (command central)The nice thing about it is it is completely wireless. It just hangs like a birdcage and the skull goes off.

I'll post a video later.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3427 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Sounds great and a nice addition. Magnetic reed switches are pretty easy to find from any electronics parts outlet. The one I used the glass tube is about 1/2" long. You can also hack some door or window sensors for alarm systems (available at Radio Shack) to get one. Just need to make sure the switch is "momentarily closed" type.

John
obeytheeye
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of obeytheeye
Here's a better lit video and the skull is activated at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/obeytheeye#p/a/u/0/jezAQ1w9vZM
obeytheeye
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of obeytheeye
For those of you with no electronics experience here is some basic instructions on how I ran some hook ups.
All Halloween animatronics have an on off switch this usually activates either:
A sensor
Or an activation switch such as a button
To create a simple hidden switch somewhere else in your room you need to extend whichever one of these your device has.
To do this you’ll need:
Speaker hook up wire from radio shack for example. A thin gauge works best especially if your device is battery powered.
Solder and electrical tape
An activation switch (again I got mine at radio shack) they usually are very small push button switches the size of a pencil eraser.
Solder two wires to your external switch.
You simply open the device and find the switch or sensor.
Cut the wires to that and twist them to your extended wires running to your push button to check they work. Solder them if there are no problems then tape them so they don’t touch and short or continuously activate. Now you could simply twist the wires together and tape them but they could untwist so soldering is the way to go.
Hide your wires. I recommend taping the wires together every 12 inches just so they stay together.
I’ve run this hook up from a device ten feet away with the wires running behind furniture, under rugs and to my desk and all working on three triple A batteries with no problems.
S.WARD
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
251 Posts

Profile of S.WARD
That looks great, you have some great items there
obeytheeye
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of obeytheeye
My three year old loves the room, and is now into magic. The other day she demanded I get her a juice box "Get me a Juice box! I want a juice box!" she said. So expecting better manners from her I tried to get a 'Please' So I said 'What's the magic word'

She said 'Abracadabra'

I think we have a future forum member.
obeytheeye
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of obeytheeye
My cave is gone. Hurricane Sandy destroyed the first floor of our home. Almost all of my magic stuff is destroyed. Home crippled, cars underwater. No electric, heat, drinkable water for ten days. I'm on the net at the office.

I'm thankful my family is o.k

But loosing irreplaceable stuff sucks. Magic effects my father gave me all gone.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Oh, man.... I am so sorry to hear this. I just discovered this thread and was enjoying the show and tell of it, and then this latest post.

I am wishing the best for you and hope you have a fast turnaround with these problems.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of webtech
Sweet. How did the wife react? Smile
webtech
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of webtech
Also where can you get a Zoltan Swami?
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
904 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Quote:
On 2012-11-07 13:45, obeytheeye wrote:

But loosing irreplaceable stuff sucks. Magic effects my father gave me all gone.

Losing stuff you love sucks. But you didn't lose what your Dad gave you.
Peace, friend. I am so sorry.
TJ Halford
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of TJ Halford
***. sorry to hear that. I knew that there was a ton of damage, but this is the first I have heard of any of our brethren here in spooky being hit. glad to hear that your family is ok, but we all know that sentimental value can never be replaced. Try to keep your head up man, hopefully some will turn up during the clean up; even if only suitable for a display shelf. we'll keep you in our thoughts.
TJ Halford

"Imagine what is Possible"
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5266 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Obeytheeye, so sorry to hear about your loss. Yes, family is number one, and everything else can be rebuilt. But, that doesn't ease your immediate pain. I can't imagine what it must be like to put so much effort into something, only to have it taken away in an instant. Our thoughts are with you. Keep the faith.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
doctorrigormorto
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Ontario Canada
284 Posts

Profile of doctorrigormorto
Obeytheeye, I don't have words for the pain you must be feeling. I am sorry for your loss of some great memories, but I know that you will be able to create new memories and also raise your child to one day have some of your wonderful magic, so that she can cherish it as you did. Smile
http://www.diablomanor.com
http://www.theparanormalshow.net
http://www.carnivaldiablo.com

Imagination is more important than Knowledge.

Albert Einstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Just finished my Magic room (Man cave) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL