We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Sources for used books? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
Hi
didn't; know where to post this so I hope its ok here. Just wondering if anyone knows of any good sources for used magic books on the web. I have only found magicbookshop.com but woudl like to find some more.
Cheers
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1265 Posts

Profile of reese
H & R magic books is a great source for used (and new) books
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Also try Byron Walker Magic Books at http://www.byronwalkermagicbooks.com
Dick Christian
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I have always had good luck and gotten good deals and good service from H&R.

When casting my net, I always check out Bradbury Books and Beyond at http://www.bradburybooks.com/

Good hunting!

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
The best source for used books at a great price is on The Café. I have never seen more favorable price anywhere BUT the selection is certainly hit or miss.

I have occasionaly found very good prices and selection on bookfinder.com
Northern California
M Petersen
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of M Petersen
Hey guys,

Marshall Petersen here from H & R. We have a nice selection of used titles, and are always looking to buy/trade used books. Let me know if there is anything in particular you are looking for.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2100 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Quote:
On 2010-09-22 12:08, reese wrote:
H & R magic books is a great source for used (and new) books

Is it a website or brick and mortar shop?
Magic comes through perception. -HS
octave
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of octave
The URL for H & R is magicbookshop dot com. I'm not sure if it is a brick and mortar shop though.

-octave
M Petersen
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of M Petersen
The website is http://www.magicbookshop.com. We have a small location where people can come by and browse the inventory. We are in the process of a move at the moment, but last night we had Johnathan Pendragon lecture. It was fantastic. Highly recommend him.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2620 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-09-23 03:50, octave wrote:
The URL for H & R is magicbookshop dot com. I'm not sure if it is a brick and mortar shop though.

-octave

IMO whether or not H&R is a brick & mortar store is immaterial in this case, unless of course you plan to actually go there. The important facts are that H&R has been around for years, has a well earned and established reputation for both integrity and quality service. It is staffed by folks who are extremely knowledgeable. BTW, the same can be said of Byron Walker Magic Books.

It would be a grave error to equate them with the recent proliferation of online "dealers" who are often no more that someone with a computer and a little time on their hands so they can serve as a drop shipper who simply takes your money, keeps their share of the proceeds and forwards you order to a wholesaler who ships the product to you.
Dick Christian
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1239 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Ebay works for me.
octave
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of octave
Quote:
On 2010-09-23 09:41, Dick Christian wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-23 03:50, octave wrote:

-octave

IMO whether or not H&R is a brick & mortar store is immaterial in this case, unless of course you plan to actually go there. The important facts are that H&R has been around for years, has a well earned and established reputation for both integrity and quality service. It is staffed by folks who are extremely knowledgeable. BTW, the same can be said of Byron Walker Magic Books.

It would be a grave error to equate them with the recent proliferation of online "dealers" who are often no more that someone with a computer and a little time on their hands so they can serve as a drop shipper who simply takes your money, keeps their share of the proceeds and forwards you order to a wholesaler who ships the product to you.

I think you misunderstood my post. It was a reply to Failed Magician's query. Now I'm not based in the US to know if a specific site is a brick and mortar store as well and hence my reply.

-octave
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
2620 Posts

Octave,

My comments were not meant as a put-down. I just wanted to point out that there two kinds of dealers on the Internet. Those who are run by folks who know their stuff and others run by folks who may not know anything and there is no way, other than personal experience or recommendations from those who have such experience to know which is which.

I recently had an exchange of e-mails with an online "shop" that was selling an item that appeared to be a duplicate of something I had acquired from a previous owner sans instructions. How it worked was obvious, but I wanted to identify its origin, so e-mailed the dealer with a complete description of what I had and how it worked -- clearly indicating that I was not interested in making a purchase -- but merely hoped that if it was the same as the one he was selling he might be able to identify its origin. His reply was that since it had already been sold he was unable to provide any information. Every dealer with whom I have done business in the past would have not only been able, but would have been more than happy to provide the information I was seeking. My conclusion is that the dealer in question is a "shop" in name only, with little or no experience with or knowledge of the items he claims to be selling and, in all probability, may not ever have actually seen or it. Therefor it is not a "shop" I would ever be comfortable dealing with.
Dick Christian
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6023 Posts

Profile of motown
Ron Alessi, had a web site.

George Daily, sells on eBay and conventions, can be reached by phone.

Andy Greggit, he works a lot of conventions. Can be reached by phone.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6023 Posts

Profile of motown
Abe books is another possibility.

You can also check the used book stores in your area.
I go all the time and have found many great books.

There's another place on the web, I think it's called Joyal or something like that.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2351 Posts

Profile of todsky
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 22:37, motown wrote:

There's another place on the web, I think it's called Joyal or something like that.

Joyalstack. I ordered from them, some good books there. Based in Montreal.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
ahobgood
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of ahobgood
Trying to find a copy of magic of eddie fechter. help please
octave
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of octave
Check MagicMethodsOnline dot com. They have this book in stock. If you are looking for a used copy try creating a thread in the Café marketplace.

-octave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Sources for used books? (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL