The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Easier coin routine DVD's? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Hey everyone,

I'm still new to the whole coin magic foray, and I'm in the midst of reading Bobo. I've been trying to master the classic palm but it's probably one of the most frustrating things ever.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone knows/can suggest a coin magic DVD that's mostly routines using easier sleights. I'm not horrible, and technically I CAN classic palm but only for a short while before the sweat leaks it out of my hands. I was thinking along the lines of how many card magic DVD's are laid out, or something like Curtis Kam's DVD's but easier.

My modest coin magic collection is In the beginning there were coins with Noblezada, and Intro to Coins with Ammar. I also have Sick but I really just watch it because it's so incredibly entertaining.

Thanks!
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
mavericklancer
View Profile
Elite user
Tustin, CA
448 Posts

Profile of mavericklancer
My personal suggestion is to start with Ben Salinas' Modern Coin Magic DVDs. Bobo's is sometimes quite a difficult read for me too, and actually being able to see what Bobo is talking about sometimes helps more than anything else. I remember the first time I read Bobo... I had no idea how the heck the Bobo vanish worked from those pictures. Roth's Expert Coin Magic series is also great for working on basic routines and sleights.

I've watched In The Beginning There Were Coins and it's pretty mediocre for my tastes. His one coin routine and coins across are alright, but nothing else really stood out to me.

Just keep practicing the CP, and it will come. Try going a couple of days, just carrying a coin or 2 around in CP. Drop it every so often into finger palm and then bring it back to CP with as little finger movement as possible.

Also, remember DO NOT move your thumb out while moving into CP. When moving into CP, try pinching with your thumb and forefinger to prevent that.

Lastly, I suggest staying away from Curtis Kam's Palms of Steel series for a little, until you really get your basics down. It's called palms of steel for a reason... his routines tend to go beyond knuckle busting.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
The New York Coin MAgic Seminar DVD set volumes 11, 12, and 13, contain routines in the "worker" category - routines that are based more or practicality and entertainment, rather than difficulty. There are 6 hours of solid coin magic in that set, and with the other 10 volumes, over 140 rotines of hi impact, state of the art coin magic.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Aldo Colombini has a DVD of simple coin magic. Check his web site.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
AlexanderY
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of AlexanderY
I personally think that a good palm is needed to do good coin magic. Be it FP or CP.

While its gonna take time, trust me, when you can sucessful palm coins confidently, its well worth the practise.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Stick with Bobo also get the DVD's that Dr. Rubinstein suggested. Also get the Ammar Easy to Master Money Magic DVD's.

As for the classic palm issue. Keep a coin palmed in your hand as much as you can. There really isn't any reason why you shouldn't be able to walk around and do normal activities with a coin in the c.p. position. Somethings will see awkward at first with the coin palmed but you will be come use to it after a short period of time. Doing that will be a great help.

B.T.W. I have the same sweaty hand problem as well. Trust me what I just said to do works.
truesoldier
View Profile
Inner circle
1191 Posts

Profile of truesoldier
Hi CrestfallenLyric

The advice you have been given here is correct keep practising the CP it will come.

A little tip, if your hands get over sweaty try rubbing some talc onto them this should help.

I understand that while you are practising the CP, you would still like to be able to perform some nice coin magic using easier palming technique, therefore I highly recommend you look into John Ramsay's coin magic. (apparently he never used to like doing the CP)

Not only will you learn great magic using FP, TP etc, but you will also learn so much about magic, psychology, and the art of misdirection from one of the true greats.

All The Best
Jake Murphree
View Profile
Regular user
Beyond the Psychomanteum
138 Posts

Profile of Jake Murphree
Here are just a few videos that provided me with a tremendous arsenal of easy to master coin sleights/routines:

David Stone's Coin Magic Vol.1 and Vol.2

Michael Ammar's Complete Intro to Coin Magic

Michael Rubinstein's Knockout Coin Magic Series

David Roth Coin Magic Series

For Gimmicks: Dan Watkin's Coin Man Walking
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
494 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Speaking of Michael Ammar his Easy to Master Money Miracles Volume 1-3 is a great set. Has lot's of usable routines. The others mentioned are great as well. I have the NYCM 11-13 mentioned by Dr. Mike and there is a boatload of stuff in there.

Good luck and have fun!!

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Quote:
On 2010-09-23 22:41, crestfallenLyric wrote:
...I CAN classic palm but only for a short while before the sweat leaks it out of my hands.

Aside from talc powder I believe there are some lotions available that will help keep your hand dry, which should help enormously with your classic palm.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
PAUL K
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
547 Posts

Profile of PAUL K
The Mordern Coin Magic 4 DVD set is very easy.More than 170 Sleights & Tricks.It's
only $ 29.99 at Amazon and well worth it.There are so many good tricks on the DVD's.

http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Coin-Magic-......00JQQKJA

Paul
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Sankey-Tized I,II

...before his offerings were Deja Vu all over again mode.

Early Roth DVDs have all the basics and some good routines.

Doug Brewer - Unexpected visitor

Kam - Palms of Steel has some stuff that is quite attainable.

Ammar coin DVDs as well.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
crestfallenLyric
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of crestfallenLyric
Thanks for all the responses guys! MB, a user here, has kindly sent me a video to jumpstart my CP. Though it still leaks out a bit, I can hold it for a good five minutes or so while typing. Nice coin marks on my palm too ;D.

Does anyone recommend Sankey's Sleight of Hand with Coins or his Best Coin Magic DVD's? They looked pretty awesome.
"It is better for a man to honor his profession, than to be honored by it." - Robert-Houdin
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Glad to hear MB has helped you out. You'll learn a lot from him.
Everything that has been suggested I would study. I sent you a few things to hold you over until you do. I hope it helps.
My door is always open if you need anything.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
I don't know if this will work for everyone but I'll tell you how I worked wonders on my own classic palm. What I did and still do is classic palm a whole load of coins 4/5/6 at one time and just keep them there while I go about what I'm doing. This really builds up muscle/memory and strength. Then when you go to classic palm just one or two is seems like a piece of cake. It's kind of like a runner who trains with weights on his ankles. Same principle. I did this every day for what seemed like months but was probably more like 3 weeks. Improved my Classic palm no end. Like I say, I have no idea if this is the best way to train your hands and I haven't seen it written or proposed anywhere but it sure worked for me. Give it a try.

Kind regards
Sean
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
The only advise I can give you for your classic palm is, GIVE IT TIME. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 20:56, crestfallenLyric wrote:
Does anyone recommend Sankey's Sleight of Hand with Coins or his Best Coin Magic DVD's? They looked pretty awesome.

I do not. Get his early stuff.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of mrehula
I only dabble in coin work, but I'm a believer that the Classic Palm isn't a requirement for coin magic. Unless you want to concentrate on coin work. (The audience may not, but I can always tell when someone's classic palming -- there ARE giveaways.)

'Andrew Galloway's Diverting Coin Magic' is my favorite coin book, and none of the killer 'worker' routines uses a Classic Palm. The routines don't AVOID it, they just don't NEED it. Personally, I think you should concentrate on misdirection and subtleties -- those are more important than any single sleight.

As for DVD's, I don't think the excellent 'Acting Naturally - Elemental Coin Magic by Allen Zingg' has been mentioned.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2010-09-30 17:02, mrehula wrote:
I only dabble in coin work, but I'm a believer that the Classic Palm isn't a requirement for coin magic.

A palm is necessary for coin magic. It takes a long time to look good, but it's worth the effort. It's so easy to work on your palm every day..just keep a coin there as you go about in the world.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
mfeld
View Profile
Elite user
San Francisco
457 Posts

Profile of mfeld
Our buddy here on the Café, Eric Jones, is putting together a beginner's coin DVD called METAL.

I haven't seen it yet, but from everything else Eric has put out, it should be terrific. He's got some great material and he's a good one to learn from.

I'd say pick that up when it comes out.
Michael Feldman
www.michaelfeldman.com

Or follow me on Twitter - @magicianmike
And Instagram - @magicianmichaelfeldman

Check out my newest book with Ryan Plunkett: A New Angle
https://www.ryancplunkett.com/project/anewangle
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Easier coin routine DVD's? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL