The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Interesting stilts for Halloween. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
My 2010 Halloween project is nearly done, and enough ahead of schedule that I could actually start working on a "walk-around" costume. To make it unusual, I decided to build digitigrade stilts so that I'd not only be taller, but also have an inhuman gait. Finished the support struts and added bungee cord tendons last night, was able to give it a full test. With the struts and tendon, it's surprisingly stable, enough that I can balance on one leg (not that I intend to.)

At any rate:

(iPhones suck at night-time photography.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15771 Posts

Profile of tommy
Smile Well what one can say. Watch you don't hurt yourself and are they springy?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Is the dog showing us what he thinks? Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Don't mess with demon-dog Smile

Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
552 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Those seem like they would hurt your legs.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
How (un)comfortable are they?

Might I ask what the final costume is gong to be?
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
They're pretty comfortable, except for the right big toe, which is probably a function of overzealous nail clipping.

Final costume will be a ghoul. Foam padding will go over the stilts, shaped to form toes and cover the feet. I'll wear extremely baggy pants (left over from my "death metal star" costume.) Already have the mask, shipped earlier this week. It's a tight fit; there's a surprising amount of visibility given what the eye-holes are. (Warning: ugly.)
http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-Gooey-Ghoul-Mask/dp/B001CC3LDI

I may need to hunt down a turtle neck and some monster gloves.

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
They look awful prone to tipping. Do you feel pushed forward or backward when you wear them?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
They're actually pretty stable. I can stand fully upright in them pretty easily- the center of balance is in the middle of the base on the ground. Though it's a little easier to walk leaning slightly forward (which is to be expected- see animations of "werewolves" walking on two legs, if they're on toes (instead of the human-in-a-zippered-suit) they pretty much all walk that way.)

By the way, these are not my own design. Google "digitigrade stilts" and a ton of results pop up; almost all of them follow the same basic plan, down to including support struts and tendons.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Looks like it will be a really cool costume! Is this for use in your own haunt, will you go to costume contests with it, or do you have another plan?

The design of the "legs" looks like with specialized materials could make a really cool werewolf.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Lol, generally everyone walks leaning forward. Walking is essentially controlled falling. Though I imagine you might end up doing it more than normal with thee, or at least notice it more.

Man, I need to figure out what I'm going to do for Halloween this year. I was pretty pleased with last years go of it:

It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 13:38, gdw wrote:
Lol, generally everyone walks leaning forward. Walking is essentially controlled falling. Though I imagine you might end up doing it more than normal with thee, or at least notice it more.

Man, I need to figure out what I'm going to do for Halloween this year. I was pretty pleased with last years go of it:

Same as last year, only the opposite side of the face to see if anyone notices. Your own inside joke. Just kidding, and the make-up is really good!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
That's right, definitely a good werewolf leg. Since you can stand on only one, it would work well near fire hydrants. Smile
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 13:42, Michael Baker wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 13:38, gdw wrote:

Same as last year, only the opposite side of the face to see if anyone notices. Your own inside joke. Just kidding, and the make-up is really good!

Thanks. Sadly, many of the geeks would notice, and criticize me for not knowing which side of Two-Face's face is burnt.

EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Michael, a refinement of that design -has- been used for werewolves and other creatures in movies. For years. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Apt5AEsHaE

It's just for my halloween haunt. Though if I do refine it for next year, I may integrate it into a costume and go all out. Maybe. (See below.)

GDW, nice makeup. Personally, I'm done with face makeup- the mask is as far as I want to go. I'm to the point where I prefer ease-of-use and comfort. Plus it's easier to pull off a mask or hood so I'm not quite so scary for my son than remove and reapply prosthetics.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I also am concerned extended use could injure you.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Be careful using those.

Really.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Just added some (cardboard) cushioning to the bottom- next step is grip tape for better traction. I plan on avoiding stairs or inclines of any sort; in fact, I'll be staying off the grass and any/all uneven and soft surfaces entirely.

Only going to be wearing for half of one night, so extended use won't be an issue. If I use similar stilts next year, they're getting a redesign and a steel frame- lighter and stronger.

Hmm. Maybe I should use a crash helmet after all.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Interesting stilts for Halloween. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL