The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Woman Executed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15768 Posts

Profile of tommy
Alright so we can dole out physical mutilation in proportion to the crime. Ranging from hands to heads being loped off.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
There are places in this world where that is in fact the law.

Woland
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Quote:
On 2010-09-26 16:10, balducci wrote:

Perhaps. Then again, the woman who was executed being discussed in this thread was a devout Christian who attended Church services two nights a week.

From the article linked on page 1 of this thread:

***But by her own admission, Lewis' life has been marked by outrageous bouts of sex and betrayal even as she hewed to the trappings of Christianity.

"I was doing drugs, stealing, lying and having several affairs during my marriages," Lewis wrote in a statement that was read at a prison religious service in August. "I went to church every Sunday, Friday and revivals but guess what? I didn't open my Bible at home, only when I was at church."***

Kinda like those who pray WITH you on Sunday then pray ON you the rest of the week!

I always love the Born Again in prison plea! What was the old saying during war, there are no atheists in a fox hole during a bombing (or something to that effect)?

I will not put my views on Capital Punishment in an open forum but I will state that this broad IMO was real scum!
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15768 Posts

Profile of tommy
Such as the USA. Where physical mutilation is praticed as a form of punishment. Which you advocate.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Tommy,

I do not advocate physical mutilation as a form of punishment.

Neither is physical mutilation as a form of punishment practiced in the USA, as far as I know.

What are you talking about?

Woland
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15768 Posts

Profile of tommy
The death penalty execution is a form of physical mutilation which results in death.

Tommy
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

***Mutilation or maiming is an act or physical injury that degrades the appearance or function of any living body, usually without causing death.***
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6216 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Thanks, Mickey, you beat me to it.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6216 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2010-09-26 20:02, tommy wrote:
Such as the USA. Where physical mutilation is praticed as a form of punishment. Which you advocate.

USA does not practice mutilation as punishment, but several nations do.... but Tommy doesn't care about those nations, they're no fun to criticize.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-26 11:52, silverking wrote:
Life in prison with no chance of parole also stops killers from killing again......the state doesn't have to kill them in order to stop them.......there is a second choice available.

This is not true; prisoners serving life sentences have killed others (guards and/or other prisoners) while in prison or after having escaped.

Moreover, the fact that the death penalty is on the table, even though a tiny percentage of murderers receive it as a sentence, helps secure life without parole sentences via plea bargains; if life without parole were the max possible sentence, fewer defendants would receive it.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-26 23:18, magicfish wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-26 20:02, tommy wrote:

USA does not practice mutilation as punishment, but several nations do.... but Tommy doesn't care about those nations, they're no fun to criticize.

Don't mind Tommy; he also thinks God wants him to cheat at poker.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My friend went to prison for drugs and killed at least three (last I heard) convicts who thought they could give him a hard time. So, sometimes a non killer will become a killer by going to prison.

I still am not a death penalty fan, then again I'm a lefty.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-27 00:21, MagicSanta wrote:
My friend went to prison for drugs and killed at least three (last I heard) convicts who thought they could give him a hard time. So, sometimes a non killer will become a killer by going to prison.

I still am not a death penalty fan, then again I'm a lefty.

Of all of the myriad aims of the criminal justice system, I think it's safe to say it's least successful at rehabilitation.

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Doesn't matter in his case....I doubt they'll be letting him out. Besides, he's very high up in his...uh....club.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6216 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Its easy for some to say she was borderline retarded, (we don't use that word in canada) but if she was retarded, she would not be criminally responsible. Here's the point. She wasn't retarded- at all. She knew what she was doing was wrong, she knew the consequences, she did it anyway. She wanted them dead so she plotted their murder. She was found guilty by a jury of her peers of first degree murder, which is punishable by death. That's the law. Guess what? She didn't care....... And now she's dead. Don't wanna die? Don't murder people- fairly simple and quite logical.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-09-27 01:01, magicfish wrote:

Its easy for some to say she was borderline retarded, (we don't use that word in canada) but if she was retarded, she would not be criminally responsible. Here's the point. She wasn't retarded- at all.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think you are confusing mentally retarded with criminally insane. As of 2001 anyway, twenty-five U.S. states still permitted the execution of offenders with mental retardation:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/node/27

Apparently the woman (Lewis) tested as borderline mentally retarded.

Also, one of the killers (post-conviction) said that he duped and used the woman:

http://panafricannews.blogspot.com/2010/......esa.html

---
In 2003, Lewis pleaded guilty to capital murder and was sentenced to death by a judge who called her "the head of this serpent." One shooter, Rodney Fuller, made a deal with prosecutors in return for a life sentence. The judge sentenced Shallenberger to life, saying that was only fair because of Fuller's deal.

But Shallenberger, who dreamed of becoming a mob hit man, later told a former girlfriend in a letter that he had used Lewis because he wanted money to go to New York and become a drug dealer. He committed suicide in prison.
---
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-27 01:19, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-27 01:01, magicfish wrote:

Its easy for some to say she was borderline retarded, (we don't use that word in canada) but if she was retarded, she would not be criminally responsible. Here's the point. She wasn't retarded- at all.

I'm not a lawyer, but I think you are confusing mentally retarded with criminally insane. As of 2001 anyway, twenty-five U.S. states still permitted the execution of offenders with mental retardation:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/node/27

Apparently the woman (Lewis) tested as borderline mentally retarded.

Also, one of the killers (post-conviction) said that he duped and used the woman:

http://panafricannews.blogspot.com/2010/......esa.html

---
In 2003, Lewis pleaded guilty to capital murder and was sentenced to death by a judge who called her "the head of this serpent." One shooter, Rodney Fuller, made a deal with prosecutors in return for a life sentence. The judge sentenced Shallenberger to life, saying that was only fair because of Fuller's deal.

But Shallenberger, who dreamed of becoming a mob hit man, later told a former girlfriend in a letter that he had used Lewis because he wanted money to go to New York and become a drug dealer. He committed suicide in prison.
---

Per Atkins vs. Virginia (2002), this is out of date; any such statutes have been struck down as unconstitutional. The defendant has the burden of proof, and there are specific evidentiary findings that are required (i.e. onset before age 18, IQ at least 2 standard deviations below the mean...)

You are correct that the language that Magicfish was citing was a different standard (although the rationale is similar; a lower degree of moral culpability is imputed to various members of society, e.g. children, the mentally ill, and the mentally retarded).

balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Lobo, so what do you think happened in this Lewis case? Had you been following it? If she did test borderline mentally retarded, as numerous reports seem to claim, how was she ever sentenced to be executed?

Never mind, I just found the answer:

http://www.reprieve.org.uk/2010_09_22_teresa_lewis_execution

"With an IQ score of just 72, Lewis has the intellectual ability of a 13 year old. If her IQ score had been two points lower, the U.S. Supreme Court would have deemed her execution unconstitutionally ‘cruel and unusual’. Instead, barring a last-minute stay from the Supreme Court, Lewis will become the first woman to be executed in Virginia for nearly a century."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-09-27 01:39, balducci wrote:
Lobo, so what do you think happened in this Lewis case? Had you been following it? If she did test borderline mentally retarded, as numerous reports seem to claim, how was she ever sentenced to be executed?

Never mind, I just found the answer:

http://www.reprieve.org.uk/2010_09_22_teresa_lewis_execution

"With an IQ score of just 72, Lewis has the intellectual ability of a 13 year old. If her IQ score had been two points lower, the U.S. Supreme Court would have deemed her execution unconstitutionally ‘cruel and unusual’. Instead, barring a last-minute stay from the Supreme Court, Lewis will become the first woman to be executed in Virginia for nearly a century."

Assuming the 72 is accurate, and is on a standardized test with a standard deviation of 15, that would be enough to disqualify the attempted defense; the article may also be an oversimplification, though. There are also specific adaptive deficits (e.g. communication) that must be shown to have presented before 18. The framework appears designed to help ensure that you can't just go out and buy a psychologist after you've been arrested.

Atkins v. Virginia is interesting reading in a landmark case (actually, a number of the capital punishment decisions make good reading, tracing the development of the law through the years).

MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Pretty sharp "13 yr old" then IMO! She was able to put it together that in order for her to benefit from her step sons life insurance benefits she would have to off BOTH the step son and then the husband who was sole beneficiary of the policy in order for her to end up with the money via community property laws!

She also used her own 16 year old daughter to seal the deal by turning her out to one of the hired guns! Shall we assume she was at least smarter than the daughter or was the daughter of even lower IQ? *This is really quite irrelevant but I thought it would make her (Lewis) out to be an even bigger scumbag!*

Kids these days, they're just smarter than we give em credit for! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Woman Executed (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL