We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mirror-Image of Vlad’s “Okay, a Weird thread ;)” Post (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Which books have you bought (perhaps based on a dubious referral or testimonial) that you anticipated might contain moderate, merely decent, standard, undistinguished card effects – only to have your head explode by completely unexpected bolts of brilliance?
Mine, from a long time ago, was the innocuous title, Magic with Cards, by Garcia and Schindler.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
It's like the evil alternate universe in the original Star Trek!! (Spock did look cool in a beard and Uhura looked HOT with the dagger on her thigh Smile)

Ahem....

Though not based on a dubious referral necessarily, but rather a mistake in the name of an author led me to a pretty cool book. My dealer knew that I was a big Paul Green fan and had told me that he had Paul Green's new book. I was excited as I had not known that the esteemed Mr. Green had penned a book, so I was almost flying to the shop. As it turns out, he realized he misspoke himself on the phone and meant to say Paul GORDON. Well, I am pretty well versed with the UK magic scene and at the time I had not heard of Paul Gordon. So, being a little flush with dosh I decided to take a chance and bought Protean Card Magic. I was glad I did! There is some really nice card magic in that book. I had bought two more of Paul's releases and liked them as well. I know he has released quite a few since then (this was around 2004) but I have not purchased them. There were other books such as Mike Powers' Power Plays and Eric Mead's Tangled web, along with journal compilations, etc., that snagged my lucre Smile

Cool idea for a thread Panlives!

Namaste,
Vlad
John Pilotzi
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of John Pilotzi
I got Lorayne's Quantum Leaps (by mistake) and then read a bad review! Now I do about 12 of the tricks on a regular basis. Good mistake I guess. JP
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-09-28 12:28, John Pilotzi wrote:
I got Lorayne's Quantum Leaps (by mistake) and then read a bad review! Now I do about 12 of the tricks on a regular basis. Good mistake I guess. JP

Hey John,

I would agree! A VERY good mistake!! Quantum Leaps is SUCH an excellent book!!

Vlad
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6785 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I LOVE Quantum Leaps, its one of my favourites.
Like Vlad says, not because of a dubious refferral or bad review, but on a whim I purchased Randy Wakeman Presents. It might be my favourite card book, definitely top five. Years ago I sold my books for reasons we don't need to go into here, but when it was time to rebuild (and rebuild I did- just ask Jeff Pinsky), the first book I re-bought was the Wakeman book. Killer card magic.
If any of you are wondering about Close-Up Card Magic by HL, well... that and Greater Magic are the two books I didn't sell there was no need to "re-acquire".
Randy Wakeman magic is fantastic.
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Good call panlives! Garcia & Schindler book is my favorite non-sleight card book. Has many of the classics such as; O.O.T.W.(impromptu), simple yet odd; The Piano Trick, I Win You Lose,Poker Mental(as mentioned by magicphil in All In The Cards thread) & my all-time favorite card trick in the book; Big Ben.

Found many gems in Fulves card books, Bob Longe`s World`s Best Card Tricks surprised me with few good & new(to me) tricks, Annemann`s card tricks & of course Scarne On Card Tricks. Better get the lay-down flat HB book for that one. Lot of long descriptions for both effect & method. But you know you gotta have this one to fill in the not so classic cracks. My favorite non- gimmicked any deck, non-sleight impromptu mindreading trick is in that book.

Have fun,
John
Nothing is better than more.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-09-28 20:43, ropeadope wrote:
My favorite non- gimmicked any deck, non-sleight impromptu mindreading trick is in that book.

Have fun,
John

...and the name of the trick is...?
ropeadope
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
453 Posts

Profile of ropeadope
Gee, I hate giving this gem out. And the name of the trick is....(suspense) #51 Braude`s Mental Card Trick p. 91. Let`s keep it to ourselves, O.K.? ;>)

Enjoy,
John
Nothing is better than more.
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Nice to see Ben Braude get some props here, since (as has been discussed elsewhere) he ghostwrote the book for Scarne!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8521 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
The one bad review (among all the great ones)for Quantum Leaps, all those years ago, was by a jealous, spiteful, person whose name I'd better not mention. His initials are Jeff Busby! It was strictly a hateful jealousy thing - one reason,among others, being that he had sent me a 4-ace routine for the book, to which I said "Thanks, but no thanks" (because it was awful). Then in part of his spiteful review, he said there were too many 4-ace routines in the book! Ha. Which, of course, there aren't. Gotta know with whom you're dealing, folks. Many have told me that Quantum Leaps is the best of my books - don't know if I agree with that, but it's nice to hear. (Thanks for the "plug" opportunity - Quantum Leaps is the first book that I've re-written, updated, etc., for Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Vol. 3 (along with Trend Setters, Dingle's Deceptions, Numero Uno, The Great Divide). If you want to be notified as to when and if it will be available, send your email address to my email address, listed under this post (with the word "earthlink" in it). Best - HARRY L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8521 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
John P. - Just curious...is my Best Gosh Darn Impromptu Linking Card... one of the twelve? I just threw out two full cartons of old letters from people all over the world (not much email then) - from when the book first came out - telling me that that alone, among quite a few others (the other eleven you're using?!) was worth more than the price of the book. Just curious. Best - HARRY L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Richard Paddon
Quote:
On 2010-10-02 16:47, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Just curious...is my Best Gosh Darn Impromptu Linking Card...

It certainly is for me. Along with The Illogical Double Lift, Lorayces and Impromptu Psychic Poker.

Richard
Bietfriek
View Profile
Elite user
Bye, bye after
500 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
I really like the stuff from Dave Forrest, Card Classic of Ken Krenzel (by HL), Books of Wonder and Diplopia (great!)
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
I had the advantage of many people who are a whole lot smarter and more schooled than me who tipped "Quantum Leaps." The title says it all and Mr. Lorayne is, simply put, a frickin’ genius.

Another book I approached with scepticism, more recently, is “One Degree,” by John Guastaferro. This is going to be a modern classic. Buy it before it vanishes. You have been duly warned.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Mirror-Image of Vlad’s “Okay, a Weird thread ;)” Post (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL