The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Performing a show for autistic children (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
Awesome! Congrats!
ColinDymond
View Profile
Special user
Gloucestershire, England
675 Posts

Profile of ColinDymond
Glad the show went well.
Dennis, great video, lots of great advise. I have a son with aspergers, most people wouldn't even know but when you know the signs it makes life easier.
I performed this weekend to a group of mentaly handicaped kids and had a great time.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Autism is a collective name for a massive array of disorders. Every kid with autism is different. IF you want to know what to avoid, I'd recommend asking the parents of the birthday kid.

My first ever gig was in front of an audience of some older children with autism. It went pretty well. One of them said he knew how every single effect was done, but his friends shut him up without any prompting from me.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I love autistic kids! They are really special, often highly intelligent, and can be very funny. My show seems to go over very well for these kids... I do quite a few of these shows. The main observation I'd make regarding choice of material, is that the autistic kids I've encountered enjoy just about ANYTHING, if it's presented in a silly way. It's very easy to keep them happy with stuff that is probably a bit "young" for other kids of their age. Puppets and balloons are big winners (I'm sure some kids with autism are afraid of balloons, though).
It's the remarkable intelligence and lateral thinking some of these kids exhibit that is wonderful. One 5-year old autistic girl asked me after the show: "Would you like to see my French Drop?" She had learned the move from a magic book, and wanted my advice on improving it. And she was just FIVE! It seemed strange to me that she was considered to have social problems - I think she is so much smarter than other kids around her, she feels more comfortable with adults than her peers.
Doug Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Performing a show for autistic children (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL