The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Elderly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Just to give you a little info about my background so what I say might have more impact, I've been a building manager for a senior center since 1977, performed at most senior centers and nursing homes in western Pa and eastern Ohio. Anything colorful done with music works. I suggest using big band music as I have had a lot of success with it. You can actually see them tapping their feet in time with it. Most of them love to see animals. If you are unsure of using a senior as an assistant, use a favorite aide. They love it.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I did my first senior show only a few weeks ago for about 35 "residents" and staff at a rehab center/nursing home where my 88-year old mother was at the time. I wanted to do it just to cheer them all up and not being a pro at this, I don't have any set standards yet.

Not in this order, I performed the magic teapot and produced lots of silks, a large blendo silk production, a dove pan where I produced a bunch of hard candy for them (one of their favorites, I think), vanishing bandana, sucker die box, crystal milk pitcher, six card repeat, mis made flag, and a few quickies from a fire wallet. All seemed to work pretty well and I received some nice applause.

However, on the down side, I invited a young close up magician to perform with me (he wanted some performance experience) and it proved not to be a good idea.....He did several card tricks, and didn't project his voice well. Being used to working in bars, he had a natural low key voice. He was very good, but the folks simply couldn't hear him. In this sense, the seniors can be brutally honest....at one point during one of the card routines, an elderly gent in the audience of mostly 70+ to 80+ year-olds, uttered loudly, "You oughta be shot!"

It was devasting to the young guy, and me too, yet I saw it coming. But he learned a good lesson about card tricks and voice projection when working with seniors. It was a great experience for me because my mother had never seen me perform until that day. And having recorded the performance, I found many of my own mistakes as well. I actually want to concentrate on seniors for free shows because I'm not in this for the money, and it's time for me, at age 62 to give something back. Besides, like another contributor to this thread, I'm closer in age to them myself!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Good for you! Just remember, 'ya oughta be shot' is a compliment to the old folks. You are lucky they didn't say 'ya oughta be shot after walking in the snow five miles just to get a bullet!'.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Gotta tell you though I had one elderly lady going nuts with the sucker die; she fell right into it and DEMANDED that I open the whole box! Which I did of course. Smile And believe it or not, the crystal milk pitcher was a hit because I told a story about how we all hate to get our Sunday paper after it's rained all night, yuk, all wet and soggy......they identified with that and the dumb thing got a great applause! I love these folks!

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Bob, you hit it on the head (with a wet newspaper) a very important part of my(our programs)

It is crucial that we connect the right bits, jokes, and even "heavier things" with our audience in an age appropriate (both for the performer and the audience).

Low volume can be just as bad as talking to fast. I learned the latter from listening to feedback from my delightful in-laws after they view other entertainers.

Be safe, well and creative.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks Harris; the one thing we read over and over again in here: You can take the finest illusion or effect, but without a good story, it will not be real magic. I try very hard to create a good story for each effect. It takes a lot of experimentation, but in the end it pays dividentds.

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Stories from our own life (at least mine) are easier to remember.

Now what did I come in here for..(thought as I stand in front of the open fridge)

References to Ed Sullivan...Price is Right...(Bob Barker or Drew Carey??)..Wheel of Fortune....

If you come to our House of Joy..(my families home) it will only cost 2 bits to ride the carnival ride. (chair lift for Mama Ruth...creator of baby ruth the candy bar puppet)

Harris
a 1953 model
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I had avoided this for a while, but this is actually a really good thread. Lot's of great advice.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Happy Hank
View Profile
New user
Winnemucca, NV
34 Posts

Profile of Happy Hank
>they're 80, NOT idiots

I must be unwell, because I laughed like heck when I read that! The nice thing about nursing homes is you'll never die/bomb, I've never seen such a more appriciative audience (f they show it or not). I never ask people to 'come up' to assist me, I work the front row (sympathetic silks, egg bag, rope, et al) for effects that require helpers.

Assisted living & independent living is a whole different kettle of fish.

good luck and break a hip, er leg...

HH
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Staff as volunteer can be wonderful.

Last time I used the Activity Coordinator as the volunteer for the human puppet.

An aid helped me into the straight jacket. They were a hoot, and as you said the residents loved it.

As I took off my sports coat to get ready for the escape, a woman whispered.."take it all off".

It is wonderful to be alive.

Be safe, well and blessed.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
You didn't say where these elderly persons are living. It is one thing to perform for those in an assisted living unit, a Seniors Center and another for those in a rehab unit, with medical issues.

I've done all three it took me an hour to get my flowers back from the rehab group. It was tough with this group because I didn't expect outbursts, some coming up and taking my props, strange noises, and other unusual actions. Their actions were expected by the staff and most did enjoy the show. It might have been frustration for someone who has not experience these things before with handicap persons or children. Expect anything and treat with kindness. (On a comical note I was asked to come back the following week because the group would not have remembered anything I did an hour after I leave.)

The other groups were no different than performing for adults. They do like comedy, and it does help a lot to have a speaker system. If choosing assistants, do so ahead of time. Productions are good, and the French Arm Chopper, Pro Viper were well received. I did a comedy rope trick they liked that too.

It's been years since I performed for this group and I don't seek out this venue any more. Adult Senior groups are a good group to do because they are looking for ways to entertain their members. Expect them to try to get a senior discount. The one I recall was they had thousands of dollars to send there members on a cruise and wanted me to give them a seniors citizen discount. (I just happened to know the township give a hefty donation to that group every year, so I stayed firm with my price and they were OK with that.)

I hope my experience helps.
Dennis Michael
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Check out Activity Directors websites for your area for the president of the system. Like librarians, they talk and communicate with each other.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2010-09-28 22:32, Bob1Dog wrote:
However, on the down side, I invited a young close up magician to perform with me (he wanted some performance experience) and it proved not to be a good idea.....He did several card tricks, and didn't project his voice well. Being used to working in bars, he had a natural low key voice. He was very good, but the folks simply couldn't hear him. In this sense, the seniors can be brutally honest....at one point during one of the card routines, an elderly gent in the audience of mostly 70+ to 80+ year-olds, uttered loudly, "You oughta be shot!"

It was devasting to the young guy, and me too, yet I saw it coming. But he learned a good lesson about card tricks and voice projection when working with seniors. It was a great experience for me because my mother had never seen me perform until that day. And having recorded the performance, I found many of my own mistakes as well. I actually want to concentrate on seniors for free shows because I'm not in this for the money, and it's time for me, at age 62 to give something back. Besides, like another contributor to this thread, I'm closer in age to them myself!

Again, it's not card tricks. It's the selection of the routine for the audience, as well as the performer. Some routines shouldn't be shown to laymen - they only work for some finger flingers. Some performers aren't good in selling an effect. Some should never perform under certain conditions. If you're decent, you can have people glued to the action, in a dark nightclub with loud music pumping - I do.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I think if I were to select a single card effect to include in any elderly group it would be six card repeat. It's pure simplicity, funny and magical at the same time. It was well received by the group I wrote about above.

Dr. Lexx
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Dr. Lexx
Do some pre-show work to find out the favorites and personalities of the staff; one of the most successful ( in terms of audience delight) senior shows involved teaching two staff members how to use the D'lite.. Then at the end of the show ( dimming the lights ) we caught & threw the Delites' light around the room to some wonderful swing music; had the light multiply and land in a cascade in several translucent bags; had people mime throwing light until no one was sure who had light or not; the sheer number of lights landing and cascading in the bags in a crescendo of music made everyone feel included; Then I had a track of audience clapping from a public television special augment their applause to end ; it made people feel they had been part of something much bigger; energized the air. People were very happy and energized as I mingled after show.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Dr. Lexx, brilliant on the D'Lites! You just gave me a good reason to purchase about four to six more of them! I love it! Thanks!

Happy Hank
View Profile
New user
Winnemucca, NV
34 Posts

Profile of Happy Hank
Another deleted post
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Elderly (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL