The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Quick Invisible Deck question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Learning my ID and I have a couple of quick questions,

What do you do with the joker if you need to fan "the other way"?

I've been just nonchalantly turning the deck over while retaining the joker in my palm. is this what everyone else does? is there a better way?

Secondly, I find I have naturally dry hands and it doesn't work very well for me unless I wet my fingertips. Does anyone else lick their fingertips before doing the reveal? Do you find this is reasonably natural, like someone would lick their fingers before counting bills? Is there a better solution?

Thanks

JK
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Dear Cyberqat,

Please don't lick your fingers. It spreads disease and is really off putting. Nowadays I don't see how anyone would find that OK except Magicians who have become blind to it. I can honestly see that one habit precluding you from working some of the nicer venues. I know a lot of people do it and some of them are excellent Magicians. Over time though, I see this habit as becoming less and less acceptable.

There are various lotions (do a search). I use a tip Martin Nash gave me. Put a bit of Sortkwik (for counting money) behind your ear. Then it's available at need and your hands are clean otherwise. Put it on maybe 30 sec. before to give it a chance to dry a little. It will last a while after. Experiment.

- Mary Mowder
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Most ID's could use a little de gripping when you first get em which can be achieved by lightly rubbing em together a few times! More than anything it's a feel thing (usually LESS is more)and after working with it for awhile you'll get to where you can make "it" happen with just about any deck! I male my own R/S decks and set ups and like em pretty firm in their grippage!

As for the Joker, I leave it on one side as my indicator (face up so I know which is which) and I simply toss it on the table or box it saying we won't need this as I get the deck in whichever way I want it! I don't make any big deal about it at all!

MMc
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
460 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
Get rid of the joker - you don't need it.

Tim
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I'll look for some sortkwik. Thanks Mary et al for the suggestions.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8474 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
My hands are very dry. I mentioned this at all my lectures - I dampen a napkin before I go on and keep it on my table. And, I simply pick it up when I want to "moisturize". Pick it up and drop it, that's it. Better than licking your fingers. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Thanks Harry!

P.S. Do you still do lectures? If so will you be doing any in the NYC or Boston area any time soon?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2010-09-27 23:28, Cyberqat wrote:

Secondly, I find I have naturally dry hands and it doesn't work very well for me unless I wet my fingertips. Does anyone else lick their fingertips before doing the reveal? Do you find this is reasonably natural, like someone would lick their fingers before counting bills? Is there a better solution?

Thanks

JK
Try some "Skinner's Edge Card Creme"...Google it to find it. A little goes a long way BTW...If you can get some "Chamberlains Golden Touch" hand spray try that too, or last but not least go to to a drugstore (Walgreens) and get some "Neutrogena Norwegian Formula" hand cream.

I use all of the above and they all work!

Drink plenty of water also...and please, for goodness sakes, don't ever lick your fingers in front of your audience! Smile Smile

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8474 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
No, Cyberqat: Unfortunately, most magic groups don't have the budget for me.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
That makes sense. Oh well, I have a DVD of your to watch and when I finish that, there are others. Smile

Thanks again guys.

A bit of sortqwik and learning a *very* gentle touch seems to be working. Now it's just practice. Smile

Okay guys, one last question....

I've got the handling down well now except when the target is one of the top few. Then I can't get a good enough grip with the fingers below because the thickness of the deck is in the way.

I was thinking in that case I might do a quick cut to cut the target to the middle.

Is this what others do? is there a better way?

Thanks again for all the pointers.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Quick Invisible Deck question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL