The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New item alert!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that my new item is very close to being released. If your passion is straight jacket escapes.... go elsewhere as this isn't for you! However, if you are into key bending and creating a real piece of emotional theatre then this *is* for you!

There's no surprise in the main effect - a key gets bent. However, the routine that comes with it and the motivation for bending the key is what makes it special for people. There's a second routine created between myself and Gregory Wilson which not only leaves them with the key as a souvenir but your business card as well. It will also explain what I call "The OMG Bend" because that's what people have said when I have shown them the method. You will not believe it!

I am going to be editing the instructional DVD this week and hope to have it all finished in the next 2 weeks. I just wanted to let you know it's on its way and I'll let you know more soon regarding price, availability etc.

Thanks,
Jon
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Sounds great Jon! Motivating the key bend has always been a problem. Look forward to your solution.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
When I say "motivation" for the key bending, I don't mean it gets bent to stop anyone breaking into your house or to stop someone taking your car. It's more a case of the key bending as a result of what the person is thinking about. I'm not bending the key and it's not just bending because someone is concentrating on it and 'willing' it to bend.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
David Klass
View Profile
Inner circle
Beckenham, England
1204 Posts

Profile of David Klass
Jon, all your products are great and I'm sure this will be too.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts as to why someone would perform a key bend rather than a coin bend though?

The obvious advantage of a coin bend is you can borrow the coin.
It is unlikely that you would be able to borrow a key.

Also, carrying a pocket full of keys is a bit odd compared to a pocket full of change.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jon Allen AND Greg Wilson teaming up? WOW!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi David,

Why would someone perform a key bend ove a coin bend? Because it doesn't matter! Smile

The key that gets bent is simply a physical representation for what someone is thinking. Magicians can get caught up in the idea of borrowing objects. Of course, this is the right thing to do for some effects but sometimes it really doesn't matter. The key is metal and won't bend. When it ends up bent, it's impressive. Does it make it more impressive if I borrow someone else's metal key? No. They get to keep everything anyway. As I mentioned, the emphasis in the mind of the person for the main routine is not about the key bending anyway.

Magicians carry round rubber bands, half dollars, playing cards etc and do amazing things (usually) with them. Why carry half dollars around with you when everyone has coins on them you could borrow? How about "Borrow my thick red rubber band and small thin blue one and link them"? In this instance, I don't see borrowing coins as an advantage over bringing out keys for this particular effect.

I don't particularly want this to be a coin vs key thread but it is an interesting topic. I'm sure that signing vs non-signing will come up in due course as well Smile

I forget to mention that there will also be a section on the DVD for an effect that has nothing to do with key bending but uses the gimmick in a novel way!
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Hi guys, just thought I would jump in on this one as I have witnessed Jon perform this, the reactions were very very powerful, the presentation behind this is strong, you really do take the audience on an emotional journey.

I bumped into one of the audience members the following week and she still had the bent key and told me that she shows it everyone when she speaks about the effect it was classic she said and I quote 'i cant believe I did that' what more do you want, she bought into it.

Personally I LOVE the effect with the business card, really strong.

anyway I'm sure you will love this, its well worth having in your pocket for those moments when you just want to leave your specs dumbfounded.

just my thoughts

Ash
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Key bending has always been a very powerful effect for the reasons that Jon has mentioned. This is why it was a feature of Geller's act and continues to be a feature in the hands of performer's who understand the psychological and emotional impact of the matter.

Metal bending has, sadly, become a mere juggling act in the hands of many of today's younger magicians. It is lovely to see Jon returning the focus to the emotional side of the effect. Yes, everyone carries coins and they are only worth, on an emotional level, their very face value (ie :10p). They key to your front door or car--that's worth a lot more! (Yes, they can be bent so that they are still useable). I look forward to see how Jon's gimmick differs from that described by myself in 1985, and other gimmicks, such as the original "Bongo Bender", etc that were prevalent in the late 1970's - 1980's.

Bravo Jon.

Ben Harris
(Author, Gellerism Revealed, 1985).
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Ben, I agree that many metal bending effects are simply, "Look what happens if I do this" or less. They are left wondering how the magician did the trick rather tan wondering how the object bent in their hands. Ash summed it up perfectly when describing what someone told him the following week.

As for other key benders, I think it is very different!

I have now got the online trailer uploaded. You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBsa8sQdqzQ

For those expecting to see me doing the bend, you will be disappointed. What it will show is the routine and the effect it has on the people involved. With something like an in-the-hands key bend that is what's important.

I should point out that although the trailer says you can buy this directly from me... you can't just yet. The DVDs are being finalised and need to be duplicated. I am away from 19th - 26th October but once I return, it will all be finished and I will be able to send them out to people.

Thanks,
Jon
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Xcellent, Jon. I really look forward to this. Enjoy your U.S. Tour, and travel safely.

Cheers

Benny
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
The idea to wirte the name of the person they hate on the key is CLEVER!
A key bending routine with a sense!!!
This why I love the Jon products..you can tell that are for working performers!
I look forward to this!
:)
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Hey Jon
You say you'll be away from 19th
That's my birthday!
Has my wife planned a surprise party and hired you to come over to Holland?

Wow what a birthday present that is.

Don't worry.
I'll pretend I don't know anything.

Steve
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Wow Steve! You need to invite me than...
:)
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
You're always welcome Luca.

I'm sure you'll see some stuff you recognise!

steve
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2010-10-14 08:07, steveline wrote:
Hey Jon
You say you'll be away from 19th. That's my birthday!

* Has my wife planned a surprise party and hired you to come over to Holland?

Wow what a birthday present that is.

* Don't worry. I'll pretend I don't know anything.

Hmmm Smile A Surprise Birthday Party Smile Smile

Smile
P.S. 'Man Who Loved Baked Beans' is just a light hearted joke which fits beautifully for a 'Surprise Birthday party'.
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
You are tooo bad Ustaad !!!

steve
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Quote:
On 2010-10-14 08:11, steveline wrote:
You're always welcome Luca.

I'm sure you'll see some stuff you recognise!

steve

...lol....
;)
billfromoregon
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of billfromoregon
Jon - Great premise! Even though I own the QB 2, I'll be picking this up, as I love the storyline. Best of luck -

Bill

PS - Do you have a price set for this yet?
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
That looks excellent Jon. Great presentation.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Thanks guys. It's great to see how people react to the request for names!

The price will be $55 / £35
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New item alert!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL