The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review - (Nomad Pad, Imagine, The Hook, Doc Hillford and Eyeokinesis) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bietfriek
View Profile
Special user
Bye, bye after
502 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
I don't believe laypeople will discover the secret while surfing the net. When magic wasn't my hobby I also didn't search and never heard of magicshops or magiccafé.
Fact is, by exposing the method in the vid. people will try to build it themself instead of buying it.
There are also a lot of people who are running while they are not being chased who (by this reason) wil not buy the NOmadpad.

Magic is more then a g******ed thing or m**e. It's your personality, story the people you are performing for etc.etc.
Right patter,people,story will take the heat of certain things.
Writing a name, fold it and name it is much too simple...
Leave a gap between the writing and 'the moment'.
Once I performed in a Flash from Sankey and people really thought it was the Sharpie!
You could call it dumb...but it had a lot of impact, especially when they can check everything.
GhostSurfer
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of GhostSurfer
I don't see anything wrong with the demo at all. It's a demo of the effect. What is fundamentally wrong is posting it on-line to all-and-sundry. It should have been kept in this form for the supplied DVD only.

I think I prefer the good old days when all you had was just ad. copy of the trick and a Dennis Patten cartoon in a magazine to illustrate the effect you were just about to send a postal order away for. Kept you wondering for weeks just what the hell you'd ordered...

just checked the price for this thing... £64 in the UK!!!! - you're kidding, right? I bought a similar effect from Brian Halliday on the Café years ago, you'd be hard pressed to discover the method and it cost a few pounds only...

GS
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2010-10-03 10:11, GhostSurfer wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with the demo at all. It's a demo of the effect. What is fundamentally wrong is posting it on-line to all-and-sundry. It should have been kept in this form for the supplied DVD only.

I think I prefer the good old days when all you had was just ad. copy of the trick and a Dennis Patten cartoon in a magazine to illustrate the effect you were just about to send a postal order away for. Kept you wondering for weeks just what the hell you'd ordered...

just checked the price for this thing... £64 in the UK!!!! - you're kidding, right? I bought a similar effect from Brian Halliday on the Café years ago, you'd be hard pressed to discover the method and it cost a few pounds only...

GS

GS, you really have me confused as to your opening statement. Then again, that can happen all too easily with the typewritten word. You state that you don’t find anything wrong with the demo, but then you say it is fundamentally wrong for posting it on-line for all to see and that it should have only have been in its present form with the supplied DVD! Which is it? There is nothing wrong with it, or it should only be as it’s currently presented in the DVD when you purchase it? My whole argument is obviously that it should be the later.

As for its price I certainly have to concur as I also feel that it is indeed way out of line. Yes, I’m 63 and I remember only reading print on descriptions of various tricks, being lulled in and then hoping for the best after I sent in my check and waiting an average of three weeks to get it! I think there is a good portion of those here who have never known what it was like without a computer and DVD’s ! Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
GhostSurfer
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of GhostSurfer
Gaffed, What I meant to say was that the demo should be for purchasers only - not for the YouTube brigade who want something for nothing (albeit they won't necessarily be able to manufacture a pad). Utter madness to post the method online. Yet, bizarrely, if the price was a lot cheaper I would have bought two of 'em!

GS
MagicDamo
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of MagicDamo
As mentioned previously the only people who are going to find the demo are people who are specifically searching for magic videos on youtube even then it will be harder to find this without knowing the name of the effect.

Just imagine that you do happen to be performing with the NoMaD pad to an audience and among them was someone who had seen the video and knows the secret, the chances are they would also have found out how you did other effects which use card and coin sleights which have also been exposed on youtube. Even if you are using a different device like the Parapad for example and the spec has seen the NoMaD video they will assume it's the same thing and works the same way. Therefore if this video puts you off buying the NoMaD pad then it should put you off buying most other pads too for the same reason.

Unfortunately even Ultracinese has been exposed due to the photos of imitations on Ebay and I had heard some idiot even uploaded the instructional DVD onto a torrent site - but that doesn't seem to have put anyone off buying it.

I am as greatly annoyed as anyone else at the exposure of secrets of magic however I will not let that put me off buying an effect I really like. The odds of coming across someone who knows the methods of the effects I perform are very low in my opinion so I will take my chances - if I am unfortunate enough to come across someone in the know, I guess I will just have to hope that they are aspiring magicians themselves and are considerate enough not to blurt it out in front of everyone.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Incase you guys missed these in the forsale section I am selling:
The Nomad Pad by Nikola Pelletier & Mathieu Bich
brand new £55 GBP ono
and the David Regal 4 DVD Set £35 GBP ono
paypal matt_wainwright@hotmail.com
PM for more detals
thanks
matt
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
I have mixed feelings about this. First off, I wouldn't let the demo sway me from buying a product that really works well. I think I would be hard pressed to find a single person in any of my audiences that would have ever seen this demo.

Additionally, if your focus is on the pad itself during performance, that's where THEIR focus will be as well. I have seen bad performances do more harm than any youtube video out there. IF you treat the pad indifferently, it will become invisible just like any sleight or billet if done correctly. Many will probably even forget any pad was used at all. We all know this.

That being said, my gripe wouldn't be that this particular pad was exposed. It would be that we are educating the public as to how these things might be accomplished in general. And that's a whole other topic.

Personally, I would rather know exactly what I am buying prior to purchase so that I know it is right, or isn't right for me. I have been disappointed far too many times. I do think they might have been better served to have this "full" demo on their own website with maybe a password protected area for serious inquiries to view it. But at the end of the day, I don't think much harm has been done here.

But like everything else said here, that's just my opinion.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
john oleson
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of john oleson
So how is using the Nomad Pad by Nikola Pelletier & Mathieu Bich - is there a good return on investment with audience responses?

Thx .. john from tropical Michigan
john oleson
View Profile
Loyal user
296 Posts

Profile of john oleson
Just put my glasses on ... correction ... So WHO is using the Nomad Pad by Nikola Pelletier & Mathieu Bich - is there a good return on investment with audience responses?

Thx .. john from tropical Michigan
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2481 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
One question, when will Eyeokenises be available?
Engine
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Engine
So all that aside I noticed on the clip that the impression is actually superimposed on the pad - that's right added on afterward during editing. So I'm wondering if anyone can speak to how clearly it appears in real life. Cold I you this for a single work written normally or must it be a design that's traced over several times?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Wizard Magic Review » » Wizard Product Review - (Nomad Pad, Imagine, The Hook, Doc Hillford and Eyeokinesis) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL