The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Cartoon Network - Houdini Dog (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
So last week I was contacted by the cartoon network to do magic for a short commercial project called Houdini Dog. Basically a dog sits at a table and does magic. The dogs hands would be my hands, and I am actually hidden under the table.

They told me they had bought some props like cups and balls, but didn't know how any of it worked. They also asked me to bring any other props that might work. So with zero time to prepare and practice a routine I thought that simpler will be better.
So I brought some invisible thread for a floating biscuit, a change bag for what ever I could think of and set out to the studios.

They had a decent set of cups and balls and some small dog biscuits that surprisingly worked well with the cups. I talked to them about the floating biscuit idea and they loved it. We even used the change bag to turn 3 small biscuits into 1 jumbo biscuit.

Now comes the real fun. We have our routines, but no one had worked out the logistics of how my arms would become the dogs arms! Turns out it wasn't as simple
as they thought it would be. The dog weighed about 100lbs and sat on 4 apple boxes. the table was lifted up as well and I was under the table sitting indian style.

They put a black tshirt on the dog and I had to reach up and through the arm holes. But that severely limited my range of motion so they cut the shirt down the front which freed my movement. They added an extra black bib piece to the dog to cover the hole they just cut. They strapped on a top hat to the dogs head and a cape to his back. It actually looked ok. (I had a monitor under the table so I could see what I was doing)

Now imagine you are under a table and your motion is limited because you are attached by your shirt to a dog behind you and there are dog biscuits on the table.
The first thing the dog did was DROOL! yep right onto my HEAD! Yuck!!!

The first thing up was the cups and balls. I kept it simple and did the basic routine in the instructions with no final load. I was then instructed to give the dog a biscuit at the end of the routine. So now I have crumbs and drool falling on me.

We then did the floating biscuit and that actually went off without a hitch. The biscuit floated up from the table and the dog leaned forward and grabbed it out of mid air and ate it just like we had hoped. Again though, more drool and crumbs on me.

Next was the change bag and I dropped 3 small biscuits and turned them into 1 large one. I was again instructed to give the dog the large bone. He took it and chomped into it and started choking. Ahhhh now imagine I am connected to this dog and under the table and cant really move. The dog starts choking and about 10 people run to him and struggle to free me before he barfs, but to no avail. Before I could get out he lets loose and I get doused!

After they apologize to me repeatedly, they ask if I would do one more trick. So reluctantly I agree and we decide to do Paul Harris' great effect, Fizzmaster. Mostly because the sodas were readily available and no gaff was required. So, I am
back under the table and strapped to the dog. We did the trick once. The soda drenched me, and the dog started to lick it up. Was really funny.

So that was my day yesterday.

What was yours like?
alpha alex
View Profile
Special user
774 Posts

Profile of alpha alex
Hahahaha Great story, man.
Congratulations on getting the gig!

Please post a link of the video when it comes out... I'll love seeing the video knowing what you went through.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Cool, can't wait to see the final product!
My day wasn't as adventurous, but my dog did drool on me. Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2205 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Well my "Houndini: Dog Magician" spots are finally starting to air. I saw 4 of them today. I think we shot 5 spots. Best time to catch them seems to be between 3-6pm on Cartoon Ntwrk. The spots last about 20sec each. I did a very abbreviated cups and balls, a floating biscuit, a change bag effect, fizzmaster, and a dog toy appears in a hat.

They added sound effects to spice up my magical gestures and the dogs expressions are priceless.
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Great story and a good read!

It sounds like the kind of story that'll entertain generations to come.

Definitely post some links if your spots ever surface on YouTube (or anywhere else).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Cartoon Network - Houdini Dog (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL