We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Let's Be Honest . . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
When working with event planners, it's very easy to lie, cheat, and steal your way into temporarily achieving success at their expense (i.e. trying to steal their clients). But this is all short lived. I thought that I would share this story with all of you in case you find yourself in a similar situation:

A couple months ago, one of my favorite event planners booked me for a corporate show. Their client was a destination management company, who in turn was booked directly by the corporation. In other words, CLIENT --> DMC --> Event Planner --> ME. Which means that I was asked to hand out no business cards, and to refer anybody to the DMC if they were looking to book me for work.

Long story short, somebody was impressed and interested in flying me out for a performance at their upcoming event. I let them know that I was working through an event company, and asked for their business card instead.

Unfortunately, I couldn't contact them myself because of my obligations to the event planners. No email, no phone call, nothing. As you can imagine, this can be very frustrating. The client had no definite date in mind, and had let me know that they just "wanted to discuss the possibilities." I notified both the DMC and Event Planner because it is the right thing to do, even though I thought that it might cost me the show since they wouldn't be actively staying in front of the customer's mind like I would.

Yesterday I received an ecstatic call from the event planner. She was pleased that I had "made her look like a hero" to the DMC, since most entertainers and event planners that the DMC had worked with had been very dishonest. In fact, the DMC was so impressed that they gave me the go ahead to pursue the client independently.

So what I'm trying to say is always do the right thing in business. Word travels fast, and a reputable performer will always be booked first. Remember that event planners are directly responsible for much of our business, and we should treat them accordingly.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
You did the right thing and it payed off.

It wouldn't hurt to send out a fruit basket or two around the holidays. Keep that good will going and it will keep your name at the top of the list.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9976 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Congratulations. What you described is exactly the proper way a relationship with event planners and agencies should be executed. There are so many stories of unscrupulous entertainers as well as planners/agents who often taint this type of relationship. You must understand your role and professional position and remain committed to the arrangement. As someone who has owned and been on the board of several agencies, I can tell you many entertainers do not focus on the long term goal and sacrifice it for short term gain. I would estimate that out of twenty acts, only one, maybe two would remain committed and fulfill there obligations properly. It's good to hear the nice guy did what he was supposed to and received the direct benefits. We are all tempted, and doing the proper thing isn't always favorable, especially in tough economic times. Good for you, You ultimately got the best of both worlds - you have the direct contact and permission to pursue it AND you are in very good graces with that event planner who will surely keep you at the top of their list for future possibilities. Good job!
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
As long as they don't pay you in pennies.
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
That would be a lot of pennies!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11989 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yeah, some event planners are very strict and others do not have that clause in your contract and never mention it.

PS: If the client knows your stage name, they can always google it. Anyone can find anyone these days.

DC
Kevin Viner
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, CA
203 Posts

Profile of Kevin Viner
This is true, but I still try to turn them back over the event planners, or at least give them their due commission. The more fair we can all be, the more business we will all have.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Let's Be Honest . . . . (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL