The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Just bought Fiber Optics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
What would be some good rope to buy?

What do you guys use?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Se the previous posts with this discussion.
http://www.rope.ws

Posted: Oct 4, 2010 9:43am
Se the previous posts with this discussion. Softer rope.
also try "Dances with Ropes", blends well with the optics routine.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I have not tried all ropes but have used the rope Richard advises which I believe is now available from some shops in the states. That is the Camirand Academy 10mm rope. This a thick rope but with no core. It will lay flat (which does not look quite normal) and soften up after you use it a bit. The lack of a core makes it easy to prepare the ends as Richard recommends by folding them in, you don't even really need to glue them. This flat rope and the the thick ends I admit does not look quite natural but makes many of the "intertia" moves in Fiber Optics much easier to do and is worth the trade off. No disrespect to other posters in this and other rope magic threads but Fiber Optics on the whole was the most magical thing I had ever seen with ropes and it remains in my opinion the very best non-card, non-coin trick I do. I recognize that not all of these moves are original with Richard but he does add a certain something. It does get gasps. I do all the moves, the sliding ends etc and it is not very hard. I think many rope tricks are confusing and boring to lay people. I have seen the Tabray work and although beautiful is probably too much rope for a lay audience. I cannot stress enough how cool it is to be able to practice and perform the routine many many times and not have to replace rope as in many standard cut and restored routines. I wind up replacing the rope eventually because I use this so much the rope frays and starts to get dirty. I do a version of the "one rope routine" I used to do the PF nightmare start but decided it was more trouble then it was worth although reserve the right to switch back, good luck
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-10-10 18:19, Xcath1 wrote:
I have not tried all ropes but have used the rope Richard advises which I believe is now available from some shops in the states. That is the Camirand Academy 10mm rope. This a thick rope but with no core. It will lay flat (which does not look quite normal) and soften up after you use it a bit. The lack of a core makes it easy to prepare the ends as Richard recommends by folding them in, you don't even really need to glue them. This flat rope and the the thick ends I admit does not look quite natural but makes many of the "intertia" moves in Fiber Optics much easier to do and is worth the trade off. No disrespect to other posters in this and other rope magic threads but Fiber Optics on the whole was the most magical thing I had ever seen with ropes and it remains in my opinion the very best non-card, non-coin trick I do. I recognize that not all of these moves are original with Richard but he does add a certain something. It does get gasps. I do all the moves, the sliding ends etc and it is not very hard. I think many rope tricks are confusing and boring to lay people. I have seen the Tabray work and although beautiful is probably too much rope for a lay audience. I cannot stress enough how cool it is to be able to practice and perform the routine many many times and not have to replace rope as in many standard cut and restored routines. I wind up replacing the rope eventually because I use this so much the rope frays and starts to get dirty. I do a version of the "one rope routine" I used to do the PF nightmare start but decided it was more trouble then it was worth although reserve the right to switch back, good luck

dances
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsWClZ2rkEk
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Matthew Jones
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Matthew Jones
I actually bought the Extended DVD a couple of years ago and about 1 year ago I found some new Camirand rope that is amazing, it's called the Camirand Stage Rope and I've found that the best way to keep the ends from fraying is to either glue them or what I do is get a tealight candle light it and wait until there's some liquid wax and dip the ends into the wax and they stay unfrayed for a long time.
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
BaronianTrading.com...your #1 source for magicians' rope.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Mr. Baronian's rope is very nice. I have used both the rope with core and the rope without core.

Woland
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Talking of Fibre Optics... I can handle it all except the "gravity" bit, with the ends. Tried Camirand rope, and other types, but can't get consistency. The rope has to be smooth, in order for the slide to take place... anyone else come across this problem? I can't seem to get a nice smooth run.. however, I'll go back and try it again. I've worked a rope routine during the summer, without the gravity bit, which I think is a bit of a mind boggler... so.. comments welcome!

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
DCB
Don't beat yourself up over that move. I went to a Richard Sanders lecture, and he also missed that big slide two out of three times. I use some fiber optics moves in combination with others that I have learned from other magicians, and I am quite satisfied with MY routine.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
The gravity move: Let me say I have good but not great hands no Dan and Dave for me but I never miss this move and it is a jaw dropper.
1. The Camirand academy stage size rope - 10mm you need the thickness and weight.
2. You need a long small piece, I think the piece Richard uses is a little longer than 9 inches, maybe 10 or 11. It has to be long enough and heavy enough to fold securely over the rope with the ends hanging down nearly to the lower rope. This makes the grab easier also.
3. It should happen by itself but make sure the short piece is fold "flat" over the long rope.
4. Need to be willing to change ropes when they get worn, you are correct is does not work well once the rope starts to fray although you can moisten the rope. This holds down the "nap" and makes the move easier in general.
I am not a pro so if you did this 20 sets day 5 - 6 days a week I have no idea how long the rope would last but I replace mine when it stops moving smoothly.

Good luck
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Forgot to add keep the long rope loop taught.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
863 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Al - thanks! Comforting...!

Xcath.. I figured the ends had to be long, just for the reasons you say. That's a long piece to handle for the rest of the routine, I always figured it looked un-natural. Perhaps I wasn't looking at it with the eyes of a spec. I'll work on it and give it another go...

Thanks, guys.

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
For Fiber Optics , Professor's nightmare, I like a soft , dense rope that is not too limp. I personally use Camirand Academy Stage Elite.

Not cheap but you never cut it. One package will give you at least 3 sets of professor's nightmare sets that will last you a very very long time.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-10-29 07:12, Woland wrote:
Mr. Baronian's rope is very nice. I have used both the rope with core and the rope without core.

Woland

I agree, I sell and use Baronian rope. I have to try it with loftus.
Mach
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Mach
Hi all,

I plan to purchase fibre optics extended in the next day or so. As I don't want to make two trips to the magic shop, I plan to also purchase the rope needed for the routines at the same time. How much length of rope should I buy as a recommendation in order for me to have a sufficient amount to be able to do the prep (I am just under 6 feet tall)

Thanks

Mach
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2012-03-01 08:19, Mach wrote:
Hi all,

I plan to purchase fibre optics extended in the next day or so. As I don't want to make two trips to the magic shop, I plan to also purchase the rope needed for the routines at the same time. How much length of rope should I buy as a recommendation in order for me to have a sufficient amount to be able to do the prep (I am just under 6 feet tall)

Thanks

Mach

In my opinion: The cheapest thing you will ever buy for your successful rope routine is rope. Buy 50' length or 300' length, it will never go bad.
I sell baronian or loftus and either will work. The key with fiber optics, is flexibility. Not too limp (Pardon the expression) but not too sturdy that you can't fold it. Both of the best ropes to use are at least 10mm ad hollow core.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Magic stores sells good rope by the bundle, so buy a small (25', or 50') bundle.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TheGreatNancini
View Profile
Veteran user
Ohio
373 Posts

Profile of TheGreatNancini
I just bought Fiber Optics and am using Camirand Elite Rope and it works great!

~Nanci
-- Nancilee N. Jones --
Website | Facebook | Twitter
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Quote:
On 2010-10-30 15:10, Al Angello wrote:
Don't beat yourself up over that move. I went to a Richard Sanders lecture, and he also missed that big slide two out of three times.

I'm kind of glad you said that, Al. Now I don't feel so bad for not having mastered the move yet. Sometimes it's nice to know that even the greats mess up every once in a while.

(Reminds me of when my dad told me that there was a news segment on TV that showed the Japanese prime minister eating dinner with chopsticks. Just as the prime minister was bringing the chopsticks up to his mouth, the food slipped off and splattered onto his shirt and then fell into his lap. It made my dad feel a little better to know that even the Japanese prime minister has some problems with chopsticks now and then.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Just bought Fiber Optics (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL