We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Blade Box Part Deux (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Todd:

You mentioned that the sword basket was originally conceived to be a ding in a "slightly different presentation." What was the presentation? Do you know?

--Tony
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
The Jadoo starts his street show with traditional trick such as the cups and balls. During the trick, a smart mouth kid heckles him. The kid is actually very funny and the back and forth between him and the magician is as entertaining as the tricks themselves. This continues through the next couple of tricks until the magician's frustration becomes so great that he snaps, grabs the kid, throws him into a large basket and stabs him repeatedly. The magician then jumps into the basket and tramples the unseen lifeless body of the boy. The magician comes to his senses, realizes what he has done and beings to wail, asking the goddess Kali to forgive him for his crime. The magician turns to the crowd, sobs that he is a very poor man and if he were able to buy a goat and sacrifice it, perhaps he would be forgiven. The magician collects money from the startled crowd, he promises to the goddess that he will make the sacrifice and amazingly the boy is resurrected from the dead.

Often instead of a basket, a small low tent made by driving four sticks into the ground and wrapping a cloth around it is used.
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Fantastic! Thanks, Todd....a ding is a ding is a ding! Smile
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
By the way, there is a great deal about the Blade Box in Al Stencell's new book. He may have found the origin of the routine. And the fun thing is it looks like it came from Coney Island!
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Coney what? Oh, Coney Island!!!! Isn't that like Brigadoon....it only appears magically once per century?

--T

P.S. Thanks for the tip on the Al Stencell book.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Quote:
On 2010-11-07 11:36, ringmaster wrote:
Other than Jimmy Dixion's break apart box, and Ward's stand up box, I haven't seen any worthwhile improvements in the prop.

I thought the Hull box could fit the fat lady...so I re-thunk it a little, and as soon as I can find a pic that's less than 75KB, I'll post it.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
This will get you there........it's a progression from the normal Hull thing.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbi......&theater
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I'll post some of the Folding Hull Box pix when I find them.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
More pix of the casket now up on FB, for anyone interested.
The Curator of the Unusual
View Profile
Inner circle
Tampa FL
1399 Posts

Profile of The Curator of the Unusual
Tom... Nice!!!..(casket)
You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself.
Evel Knievel

jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
I just can't get over how incredibly THIN Tom's casket is....who's inside? Gumby?
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Almost...it's a tight fit.

I used to fit in it until I discovered Trader Joe's and Little Debbies.

There are more optical cheats built in other than the obvious one.

I'm getting encouragement to have this made professionally, and well may do that if I can find a builder and put it out at a decent price..might have to go back to Tijuana for the welding.

I put out plans once, to the LHS members, and they each have rights to build one unit for themselves. Friend David Avadon had one made and ran that in a Canada tour...it has an owner tho, and a waiting list of buyers. I'll post more shots when I find them.

I also put up some more shots of the X-Ray glasses fitup. It's sort of a sideshowy thing you may like to build.
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Hi Tom,
There is always the chance that we could work together on this. You have seen my work skills. I would love to.

Dr. Solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I have indeed. Hmmm. That is an idea....Let's mull that over a bit. It didn't occur to me at all. Will you be at Alameda, or will we see each other at Kern? Hmmm....good idea...I'm trying to put up a video of it now.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
That was tedious. Anyway, if anyone is interested, here's the link to a video of just a walk around the Casket with the blades in. The video better shows the color, bronze finish wood, etc., than the FB pictures do. Enjoy. Btw, it runs about 6-7 minutes for a fairly tight show...8-9 with more talk front and back. Ideally, you would have the Marvel do a few stunts first, so that could add 5-7 minutes pretty easily.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?......86383313
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Tom,
Yes I will be at Kern County Fair again this year. I will come to Alameda to partake in the festivities but have not been asked to perform there. Will you have the box again there? I'm working on a venue in LA to happen in May. Possible I can get over your way? My daughter does great faux finishes. I can do some welding as well.

Doc
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
mysterrio
View Profile
New user
USA
14 Posts

Profile of mysterrio
Quote:
On 2010-10-08 11:07, joe faro wrote:
I didn't know that Mr.Robbins was the President of the National Magic Society of India!

HE is tonight....with the permission of Ward Hall I am sure...lol (waves at Todd)
kevinjanet
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of kevinjanet
Thought I would put in my two cents since I just finished building a blade box. It turns out I could write a book about all I don't know about illusion building.
You would think after building 6 of them I would have gained much wisdom. Here is my wisdom: If you are considering building a blade box please contact me and I can tell you most of the things you shouldn't do. After numerous mishaps, mine turned out fine and it got a incredible response this weekend!

Check out the pics on my facebook page!
http://www.facebook.com/hallsofmagic

Kevin R Hall - Halls of Magic
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Kevin, love the video and the box looks great. That Belly Blade is a killer, the audience must go nuts.

You should list the major don'ts here in the forum.

Give Janet my compliments, she does great.

Congrats!!!
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I have a blade box I was just about to sell until I saw your video Kevin. Thank you for inspiring me to keep another item to store in my garage when not in use...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Blade Box Part Deux (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL