The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Above the Fold by Rich Aviles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1130 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Rich Aviles... Rich Aviles... Rich Aviles

It's probably a name you haven't heard before. Well, now you have... three times. Get used to it; you'll be hearing it a lot more from now on. Why? Let me tell you.

I first met Rich at the SCAM Convention in January of 2008. When we sat down to session, he proceeded to fry me with great idea after great idea. Since then, we've become good friends. He has continued to impress me with both his humor and creativity when it comes to magic.

A long while ago, Rich told me that he was working on writing up some of his original routines. I was so excited to get my hands on his material that I continued to hound him via email about when it would finally be released. Much to my chagrin, he was patient about making his first impression to the magic community. He didn't want to make the mistake of rushing into the magic market like so many others do these days. So, he continued to work and I continued to wait... and wait... and wait.

Imagine my excitement when I heard a rumor that Rich would be the "newcomer" lecturer at the annual Tri-C magic convention at which I was performing. Imagine my further excitement when I got the news that Rich would be publishing his new book through Vanishing Inc Magic. My wait was finally over... and it was worth every minute.

Rich gave an outstanding lecture at the convention. It truly had something for everyone. From a KILLER self-working prediction effect to a CRAZY color change (that looks more difficult than it is), all in attendance were impressed with the material offered. After the lecture, I rushed to the table and made my purchase of Rich's new book, Above The Fold.

If you've ever been to a convention, you know how crazy busy you are the entire time you're there. It's a wild ride that doesn't include much time for the simple things... like sleep. This convention was no exception. So, after only two hours of sleep on the final night, I headed to the airport to catch my flight home. I boarded the plane and with a bag full of new books from the dealer's room, I pulled out Above The Fold. Over the next few hours, I poured over the contents constantly amazed at the quality of the material. Here are a few of my favorites.

Fax Machine Change-
This is one of my favorite color changes. It's funny to see in action. It's magical, and not that difficult to do. In effect, a card changes as it animates through the deck. You can download a free preview of this color change by checking http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/.

Pocket Protectors-
This is the killer prediction effect I mentioned early. Rich has taken a relatively unexplored idea by Alex Elmsley and turned it into a real showpiece. It is self working; it plays equally well in close up or parlor situations; it will fool magicians; it will entertain laymen; it seems absolutely impossible. A lot of guys are going to start doing this. I will be one of them.

Bystander-
The magician hands the cards to the spectator... and they do everything. They select a card and lose it in the deck all on their own. The magician announces that earlier he placed two Jokers face up in the deck. Amazingly, when the cards are spread, it is revealed that the spectator placed her selection directly between those Jokers. Finally, the magician reveals that he predicted everything from the very beginning.

Big Black Arrow-
This is a trick with an iPod or iPhone (or any other device that supports video) that mixes technology with sleight of hand. There are plenty of trick apps on the market, but most of them just make the audience believe that the technology is responsible for the magic. This is not the case with Rich's trick. The audience will have nowhere to run.

Overall, the book features seven moves, ten full routines, and two quick ideas for handling a couple of common problems for cardmen. The explanations are clear and fun to read as Rich infused the text with his clever wit and personality. He also has a background in design which means that the illustrations and layout are top notch. I'm totally impressed with everything about this book. Highly recommended.

- Available from http://www.richaviles.com/ and http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/

For more reviews of magic books, DVDs, e-Books and more, visit http://www.CalebWiles.blogspot.com

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4216 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I'm very proud to have pre-ordered this. I shot him an email and he answered on my questions in length. He's a stand up guy.
JohnG
View Profile
V.I.P.
367 Posts

Profile of JohnG
Lovin' this book. Rich is the real deal. I had the opportunity of seeing many of the effects from Above the Fold during Rich's superb lecture in Charlotte, NC. So much great card goodness in here. Attendees were immediately playing with Fax Machine, Asher Twitch and Pocket Pocket Protectors. And these are just three of many awesome effects!

Rich is a great writer, teacher and thinker. I appreciate the touches of humor and entertainment tips along the way. Fantastic book!

Highly Recommended.

John G
John Guastaferro

Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/MagicJohnG
Twitter: twitter.com/johngmagic
YouTube: www.youtube.com/johngmagic
Email: johnGmagic@mac.com
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
602 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
I also saw Rich perform his material in Charlotte and can attest to how good it really is. There is material appropriate for hard-core move monkeys all the way to those who enjoy virtual self-workers. Pocket protectors, for instance, is and effect that is very simple to perform, but also very powerful. It would be appropriate for walk around or even in a mentalism show. Asher Twitch is a fantastic version of Twisting the Aces for those who like the look of the Asher Twist, but not specific moves involved or the angle restrictions. As John G. says, there are many other great moves and effects between these pages waiting to be discovered by the masses.
Mike Davenport
View Profile
New user
Charlotte, NC
27 Posts

Profile of Mike Davenport
Rich is a great guy and Above the Fold is a great book. There's something in there for beginners with no card skills and experts. I agree with the above posts. Pocket Protectors is so simple yet so powerful. Rick also makes the book easy to read by keeping it funny and entertaining (just like him).

With the book you also get a do it yourself Fire Wallet! I can't believe no one has mentioned this. I saw Rich perform this for Tony Miller and no one could stop laughing.

For just such a great price this is a no brainer for any level magician.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1524 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Ok I'm slowly being convinced..I just find that reviews of books often sound just
like the advertisment!

I suppose if an effect is described too well it will be re-constructed.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4216 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Got mine today, Loving what I see so far!
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Mr. Aviles has penned a great, great book.

I would have paid the cover price for a manuscript of Bystander and Pocket Protectors...and there is SO much more superb work.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
Hey guys,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm happy to see that you're enjoying it!

Denis Behr just added the book to his database with notes about each item. Check it out here: http://bit.ly/dty96f

Rich Aviles
http://richaviles.com
Joshua Jay
View Profile
V.I.P.
196 Posts

Profile of Joshua Jay
My favorite two items from the booklet: Pocket Protector, in which a freely chosen card is predicted in a most unusual way

and...

2 Legit, a sweet little double-color change.

BEAUTIFUL booklet and cheers to Rich for writing such a from-the-heart, funny, and interesting collection.

Josh
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3611 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Pocket Protectors is great. I added something that I think makes it even cleaner and stronger. All you Boris Wild fans will know what I added.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
It's possible to be a Boris's fan ?
I don't think so ! lol
Anyway, it's a great book !
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Does Pocket Protectors use a mexican turnover ? I read somewhere that it was based on Alex Elmsley's Mexican Prediction
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
Hey magicphill,

One of my goals when creating Pocket Protectors was to allow it to be performed standing and without a table so the Mexican Turnover is not used. Hope this helps.

Rich Aviles
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Thanks for the heads up definately intrigued by this so I'll bite the bullet and buy
KyleMacNeill
View Profile
Inner circle
2760 Posts

Profile of KyleMacNeill
Great Book.
I got it for Xmas, all the material is GOLD.
Seriously, GOLD.
An absolute BARGAIN considering the amount of brilliant thinking there is in this little bad boy of a book.

Best wishes,

Kyle
rich aviles
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of rich aviles
Hey Gang,

Shane over at Online Visions just posted a review of the book. Since this is a review thread, I thought I'd drop it in. Check it out by clicking here: http://bit.ly/gX24Ld

Thanks, again, for your continued support!

Rich Aviles

P.S. If you'd like to support my efforts, please order directly from http://www.richaviles.com Smile
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Asher Twitch. So that third Ace doesn’t magically turn over, correct? Or am I reading it wrong
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Above the Fold by Rich Aviles (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL