The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Tales of Enchantment by Walt Anthony (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
fraughton
View Profile
Veteran user
of books
327 Posts

Profile of fraughton
I recieved my copy of this book yesterday, and while I have not completed the read, I am compelled by the quality of the ideas and the writing to post my thoughts.

As a serious bizarrist I put great value on creating Miracles. This is an elusive and subtle art that Walt Anthony both understands and communicates well.

The volume is not specifically a "Bizarre Magic" book per se, but understanding Walt's ideas and theory of magic is certainly beneficial (actually critical, in my humble estimation) to bizarrists, and it would be a very beneficial source for any other performer that wishes to create a genuine emotional connection with the audience.

Aside from the more practical ideas I have gleaned from Walt's writing, I have really enjoyed the reading.

This is the first magic book I have obtained in some time that merits real study.

I recommend this book to any magician wishing to turn his/her performances into profound personal experiences for audience members.
Beware of this and that.
cairo
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of cairo
Where is it available?
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1588 Posts

Profile of gmeister
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Thanks for the great review Michael!
(your check is in the mail LOL)
Walt
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I was going to buy this at the pre-sale but watched a video of a rope trick that I guess was met to help the sales of the book. The video made me re-think of what was really in the book so I didn't buy it.

Ray
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Ray,
I'm sorry to say you've watched the wrong video.

There are no absolutely no videos of me, or anyone else, performing anything from the book anywhere to be found.

It's interesting you've run across someone with a similar name in magic, would love to know who they are.

Please reconsider purchasing the book on its own merits,
you can download a sample PDF from Leaping Lizards Magic,

Thanks!
Walt
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have had the book for a few weeks now, and it is definitely worth getting!

My favorite authors (those whose books I buy sight unseen) can be counted on one hand - Jim Steinmeyer, Mike Caveney, Mark Parker, and a couple more. In all cases, I sit down over a few days and read the books cover-to-cover, making notes about those things that particularly interest me. Later, I will go back and re-read those sections, sometimes making additional notes and, in the case of illusion books, making preliminary sketches and planning how I could fit some of those ideas into a show.

With Walt Anthony's "Tales of Enchantment", though, I was not able to do this. I have owned the book since it was first released, and I still haven't made it through the first time.

Now, before you jump to conclusions, this was NOT because the book is boring or tedious - quite the opposite. I will read a section, finding myself drawn into the routine. I will finish one of his "stories", and sit and think of how I could use it as-is, or modify the story to fit an effect I already perform. Some of his ideas have made me re-think some things that I own but never cared for or think about purchasing other things that never caught my eye until I had a "framework" in which to use them.

Homestly, this could easily become the next "foundation" book, joining the ranks of Strong Magic and others.

If you want some new ways to see your magic, this is a "must-read".

Highly Recommended.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
My copy arrived yesterday; I began reading it last night. Based on the Foreward (by Robert Neale), the Introduction (by Kostya Kimylat) and the Author's Preface, it promises to be a stimulating, thought-provoking study.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
Im a close up magician...Will I get anything out of this - getting my close-up magic to a higher level?
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Author here, Yes I think you will, all the theories and technique apply to all types of magic, there are examples of close-up, parlor, stage, and illusions.

However, it is also the first book that looks at theatrical/storytelling/bizarre magic from a stage perspective, as most of this work has historically focused on close-up.

I've tried to put in something for everyone, and my aim was to assist people to up the level on all magic.

Thanks for asking! Walt
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
My opinion? Just seeing the demo with the chapter dealing with The Floating Ball (Okito's Zombie's & Astro's...plus Merlyn's Enchanted Orb & The Mystic's Dancing Sphere) is enough to make me buy the book, if I had the money.

Really, this is cutting edge. Plus all the other theories, and technique included! I hope this book stays in print, because when I finally find a job, and get back on my feet again, this one is going in my library!!

Doug
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Any more reviews?
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I might get this but I do wish they had previewed the first chapter not the first 20 pages of praise and set up. The preview only gives you the table of contents, forward, intro, and backgroud of the author and no real idea of what the book will be like accept that it is supposed to inspire you.

It would have been nice to read the first 20 pages of meat. Out of the 250 pages would this have been so bad for sales?

Gee even 10 pages into the start of the book would have been more enjoyable and give a better idea how how the book read and author teaches.

Just my Two Cents
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
So far, I have come up with new presentations for five different effects, based on ideas from this book, and NONE of them have anything to do with the effects for which Walt uses them. That shows the flexibility of the presentations in this book.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
This is probably a great book with some very useful material but

page 2
What Is Story Magic?
Doesn't tell me what story magic is, or at least not how it is accomplished? Or any theory behind it or why to.

page 3
9 out of about 267 words are I, not counting the mes and mys. Looks to continue on about the same path (admittedly this is a somewhat autobiographical portion of the book) for the next 3 pages (which is where the preview stops before the reader gets any real content and a feel for the book)

Truly would like to see Walt Anthony's work, some video so we can see him weave the story telling magic. To be moved by a great presentation.
To see and experience something that reaches my criteria for art ... it makes one think and feel and shares something to take with them after the performance (that is what I aim for in my work)

The hope is Walt's work would be amazing (I thoroughly enjoy Robert Neale's work). From the small sample it feels only like fluff, a hint at what may or may not be

Walt, would you please consider pulling back that curtain a little more for those of us looking and wondering?

What would S.H. Sharpe say?
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

As you suggest I’ll address some of your concerns.

They say “you can’t judge a book by it’s cover”
and I’d add
“you can’t judge a book by it’s first few pages.”

(Although, I’m quite fond of the cover, and would not mind anyone judging the book by this one.)

I am NOT a legend like S. H. Sharpe or Punx or Robert E. Neale, nor did I intend to be such a voice for our the craft. This is my contribution to magic literature from my (opinionated) perspective, as I’ve grown in the art over the decades-- that’s all I purport it to be.

My publisher is solely responsible for the marketing of the book, and I was not consulted on what would be in the PDF preview, however I now rather agree with him, as I’m amused by the curiosity and opinions it has elicited.

Yes, frankly The PDF is “fluff” I hope the next 250 pages will provide you more substantial material. However, I was privileged and honored to have two of the greatest living magical thinkers contribute my Foreword and Introduction, and though I was surprised and somewhat embarrassed by their praise, I trust their honesty and opinions.

Funny, you should mention the Author’s Preface, I did not intend to write one, but both my editors, insisted that it would be valuable.
So yes, I must agree it is littered with the “I’s” and “My’s” in my intent for the text to follow.

It was a very last minute addition, and therefore not as smooth as the rest of the text. As the book’s intent is to journey through the practice and theory of Magic, by nature, it also parallels my biographical growth and journey through decades of magic and earning a living through that art.

I have always jealously guarded my work, it is unique (see the back cover of the book) I’ve only previewed it for potential clients, and never, ever to magicians. There are no public videos –anywhere- of my performances by intention, it was only a near death experience that prompted me to finally share my work with the magic community.

I also intentionally chose a book format, as Mr. Neale suggests, few would be able to carry off my personality or personal style, and the pieces are meant to inspire not be duplicated. Of course any reader may perform the pieces, but I doubt without alteration, therefore a DVD of my performances would not be appropriate.

“What is Story Magic” was originally intended to be my preface, before I wrote an Author’s introduction, it is but a one-page piece on my overall impression of the genre, not a blueprint of how to accomplish it-- that’s later in the text.

I am surprised that a few people have reviewed a substantial book based on the first pages and table of contents. My criteria for art is also “something that the audience can take with them,” so I agree with you 100% --if not the pages are a waste of paper.

At the first book signing a younger magician asked to take several photos of use together, and had me autograph a playing card from his collection. He then said that he could not afford to buy a $35 book-- he next asked the shop owner (in his words) if he had any “DVD’s on show-off card manipulation” and bought three $35 ones.

That is what I anticipated, my book is not everyone’s cup of tea.

As to S. H. Sharpe… I suspect he is rolling in his grave <grin>.

Magically,
Walt
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Did you really count all the words as well as all the "I"s?

FWIW, this is a "review" (my impressions really) that I posted on the bizarre forum. I garauntee that anyone who is even a little interested in the subject of bizarre magick or storytelling magick will find tons of useful tips, ideas and philosophies if they actually take the time to read and think about the book.

I wrote:
This book covers theory, practice and gives examples of storytelling magic. Character, set and setting are covered. Walt does this type of magic as a full time professional for corporate clients and he shares his experience.

Do you work full time doing storytelling or bizarre magick? No? Then you probably need this book.

I think only one trick is actually taught, but the routines given for "standard" (and not so standard) magic are amazing. They range from funny, to beautiful to very powerful. There are also several tricks that are given multiple presentations, I really appreciate this and I think that it really helps the aspiring storyteller get a sense of what can be done.

Walt wants us to enter a world where magic is real, to respect that world and make it real. Then to bring our audience into that world, let them experience it and guide them back to their regularly scheduled lives, richer for the experience.

This is the book I wanted and looked for I first returned to magic. I came back to magic as an adult after seeing a very good trick, but I stayed with it after I read a short chapter by Jeff McBride in "Grimoire of the Apprentice," where I was shown that magic could have some level of meaning. This was followed up by "The Death and Resurrection Show" and some of Eugene Burgers. But I wanted a book that actually showed me how it could work, and gave specific advice on how to do it.

Now the negative part of the review. There's always something bad and here it is: ...I already have two show I'm working on, this book is giving me far to many good ideas, I want to go back, re-write my existent shows and start working on one or two more! Gee, thanks a lot!

So if why haven't you bought the book yet?
Do it now!
Order the hard back while your at it, it really is a beautiful book. It's also signed and numbered (does anyone else compulsively analize an author's handwriting when they sign a book?)

Get it now!
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Seadog93
Nice review.....

Ray
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Thanks Walt

Sent you a PM that I'll spare everyone here, it's positive much as the one you sent me and posted here

Have a feeling that Tales of Enchantment might be a very significant piece of literature concerning our art

Still would really like to see Walt performing live, it would kind of be the culmination of the hard work and care that goes into the efforts

"enter a world where magic is real, to respect that world and make it real. Then to bring our audience into that world, let them experience it and guide them back to their regularly scheduled lives, richer for the experience."

That is close to the place I try to live within the art and to create for audiences
:coolspot:

and I think makes for a much better entertainment and can help return magical entertainment to the lofty place in once held

Anyone have any more on Walt's book or .......
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I was not one that reviewed it from only reading the intros. My point still is that I have no clue of the quality of the writing from what I read in the preview and still feel the preview is not a preveiw of the contact just praise that even the author feels was over the top.

If the publisher wants to offer a preview it should be in the actual book not all the set up. They could have easily taking excerpts of what they did release and use it on the ad copy. But do not offer a preview and then not preview the content.

All positive reviews are well and good but I would have rather make my OWN decision whether I would enjoy the book or not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Tales of Enchantment by Walt Anthony (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL