The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kollossal Killer III (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just got Larry Becker's tape with Kollosal Killer on it. Without giving away the secret, it occurred to me you could take it one more step with the spectator if you know what I mean and then the handling of the discovery could be even cleaner. Well if this is too vague I'll drop it, but if you're catching on here, maybe you could give your thoughts.
landmark
noumena
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County, CA
136 Posts

Profile of noumena
Landmark:

I do love this effect and I think Beckers contribution to Kneppers work is great. I perform this effect quite often, however, I don't think I understand what you are getting at as far as taking it "one step further." I am interested in what you have to offer and more than respect your desire to keep secrets. PM me so we might work on this together.

Warmly,
Brandon Cross
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
I'm with Brandon here, because if you take the equivoque much farther you will expose it -- IMHO! PM me and let me know your thoughts.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I've read/seen Becker's and Krenzel's versions and I always come back to the fact that what makes Kenton's original KK so striking and such a pleasure to perform is the absolute absence of equivoque. Not to say that the other gentleman's handlings aren't brilliant in their own right but, IMHO, I think KK is best left as is.
MANDRAGORE
View Profile
New user
N.Ireland
72 Posts

Profile of MANDRAGORE
I have a presentation for this great effect, where there is no equivoque and you come out as clean as you can be.
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
I have a version of it as well, something everybody would come across after a while of playing with it. A one card version, no equivoque. It's all about taking it one step further, isn't it. Please, spare yourself the trouble of asking me about it, I wont reveal it anyway. Smile
Sincerely yours,
Daniel

By the way, it doesn't work very often Smile
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
noumena
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County, CA
136 Posts

Profile of noumena
Bill,

I understand your position. Until recently I have not felt exactly comfortable with my presentation of equivoque. However, the background information I offer (though several means) to help interpret my art as well as my performance style have come to a place where equivoque sits very well with me. Having said that I still use it in careful moderation.

Moreover, I like the idea of being able to flash the prediction envelope before anything begins. These are just a few points that have brought me to a place where I perform Beckers version. Yet, I still see the strengths you point out with the original version.

Mandragore:

It's nice to recognize those who still push their creativity into great pre-existing effects. I think this is what true artists should do. I think this to be a warranted reason for us not to share each and every gem we create or discover so that just as ourselves, others may have their own journey.

Warmly,
Brandon Cross
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
The first thing that occurred to me while reading the pamphlet that came with Neil Tobin's excellent Xpert device, was that this could be used with KK and cleanly eliminate the machinations discussed in the early part of Killer Konceptions.
Smile
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Mandragore wrote: "I have a presentation for this great effect, where there is no equivoque and you come out as clean as you can be."

There is no equivoque in the original KK and you end clean. Have you reinvented the wheel?

To noumena: It is not a matter of comfort with equivoque. I, too, have reached a point where I am more than comfortable with it and it is very effective. It is more about clarity and clean handling. I will admit to liking the handling for the equivoque in the other presentations mentioned above. It is entertaining in and of itself. However, I use KK with the intention of hitting fast and hard. I find it an ideal opener this way and it allows me to frame my "claims" and make the participant the star. I have another presentation I use when someone unexpectedly asks me to "do something." I tell them that I dreamt they would ask this the night before and proceed from there. Use you imagination to fill out the rest. As for flashing the prediction envelope, I use Kenton's original suggestion to take out your wallet in the beginning. Same impact from the audience's point of view, IMHO.

To rgranville: I like that. I hadn't thought of that idea and will have to work with it. Thank you very much for sharing.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Quote:
On 2003-07-11 08:31, rgranville wrote:
The first thing that occurred to me while reading the pamphlet that came with Neil Tobin's excellent Xpert device, was that this could be used with KK and cleanly eliminate the machinations discussed in the early part of Killer Konceptions.
Smile

Thanks for the plug! I hadn't thought of that.

Vision,
A one-card, no-equivocation version with an interesting hit rate is contained in Richard Osterlind's Dynamic Mysteries.

And for a completely different angle, check out Greg Arce's all-equivoque version, Scorched, in the Inner Thoughts forum.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
A different effect but with similar results as "premonition". Although you need more of a set up it is a devastating effect when done well. The thought of card is missing from a deck of cards and you then produce the card.
c_lamby2k
View Profile
New user
Liverpool, UK
75 Posts

Profile of c_lamby2k
I do a simple version but have been meaning to get Kentons, looks *** cool Smile
CRAIG(c_lamby2k)
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
I am very aware of Osterlinds effect. My post, however, was just intended as a joke. Some of you hopefully got the point of that joke.

Have a nice day!
//Daniel
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Hi rgranville--
just got xPert and came to the same conclusion you did, before I read your post! (uhh...mind reading?). Anyway, yes it seems you could end completely "clean" and spectator could examine the card. The prediction itself can be stronger too! I'm going to keep thinking about this.

landmark
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Well, this is the place for it!
Smile
MaGiCoH
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
167 Posts

Profile of MaGiCoH
Kollossal Killer, a very good idea. Thanks Kenton...

But I , changed it a little bit, and I finish clean. Besides that we all know that is not necessary to end clean.
     ´ H `

"Seeking the purest mentalism"

http://www.omentalista.com
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
Several months ago there was a fairly lengthy thread dealing with Kolossal Killer (although I'm not sure what topic name was used). Based upon those comments, I changed the original KK version and now use only half as many cards. That has simplified things considerably, there is still no hint of equivoque whatsoever, and the hit rate remains at 100%. I can't imagine reducing it further without utilizing equivoque. I, too, prefer to avoid equivoque whenever you can have cleaner handling by using another method. I use an old wallet that looks like a steamroller ran over it. I even have to pry it open because the leather (for whatever reason) tends to stick together. Going with Kenton's original concept about the wallet, there is plenty of room for lighthearted comment. I usually comment how my wife doesn't give me a very big allowance. The wallet is very very thin and sticks together from disuse.
Nicholas
Nicholas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Kollossal Killer III (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL