The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning to be more bizarre (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gypsyprince12
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Gypsyprince12
I don't know how to even start this topic , but I'm going to try my best to express . I'm really wanting to get into bizarre magick. It has been eating me UP inside not knowing what to really start with.I have to come up with atleast one short tale I can perform..Everyone mentions getting acting classes and such.
I don't know if that's for me , I feel that somethings that the bizarrist do is already natural behavior and thinking for me. I have always been interested in some very strange and magical types of things. I want to be able to share with people strange things that are ,I guess mystical and magical. I want to express this way because I have always thought of myself being pretty bizarre . I have a very easy time speaking with people and telling strange stories or sharing some new strange thoughts that could exist like pixies being tricky lol. I have always believed in weird and magical things. I really want to tap into this mystical or magical feeling and express it through enchanting and weird tales or stories. I want to start practicing something so bad. ADVICE Please!!! WHAT TO DO MAN!!!

Are acting classes really needed?
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Start by associating with other bizarre performers. There are sections here and many books on bizarre magic.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Check out Randi Rain. She'll help you get started.

Jim
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
Question? If you've always been interested in the bizarre and you consider yourself pretty bizarre already. what do you need to improve on to be "more Bizarre"?

If its ideas for presentation, read bizarre fiction. I recommend Neil Gaiman specifically "Star Dust" "American Gods" "Neverwhere" and any of his short story collections like "Fragile Things" that should lead to other authors that will get you similar stories.

Is it a presentation problem? Are people not buying your interest in the bizarre?
try looking into more topics on the topics you like, big-foot, ghost, faeries, leprechaun, and all manner of cryptological and para-normal phenomena. That will give you credibility. become a subject matter expert as we say in the army. The weird things podcast is great for sparking interest in topics, a bit to hokey for my taste but its great for ideas. The way you appear may effect this as well. I'm not saying dress like Chris Angel, but some off beat accessories may help. Odd cuff links, a vintage watch something that unusual. that is entirely up to your personality don't go crazy.

A lot of bizarre magic comes from the props themselves. For example " I found this old box in my grandfathers attic" "This is the logbook from a sunken ship" "This is the head of Harry Houdini" ect. Find strange props to use outlaw effects has great stuff expensive but great. Or you could always just adapt props to your ideas, age cards, distress objects. bend skeleton keys ect. Darwin Ortiz recommends asking questions to heighten interest in your effect, "Do you believe in ghost?" "have you ever had the feeling you were being watched?" then use your effect to explain or demonstrate a phenomena.

You may also want to do some research into the Coney Island amusement parks, Luna park, Dreamland, and the like. I find those fascinating, and it will lead you down the rabbit hole into freak show stunts and performers of that genera and era. fascinating stuff. Ricky Jay, I believe, has some good books out about that. Maybe some circus research might interest you, learn about that life and performers.

In a nutshell. read, do the research, spark your imagination, and find people to talk to about it and you'll be on your way to more bizarre magic.
m_debrot
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of m_debrot
Please excuse the question But,what would be considered bizarre magic?

Mike
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2010-10-11 10:46, m_debrot wrote:
Please excuse the question But,what would be considered bizarre magic?

Mike

Click on the following link and read... http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......14&73721

Cardamagically,
Dom Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Gonche
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Gonche
Well, Halloween is around the corner... It'll give you a good chance to go out and flex those bizarre muscles.
PenEnpitsu
View Profile
New user
Southern California
36 Posts

Profile of PenEnpitsu
Are you talking about performers like Dan Sperry and Chris Angel?
Tokyo Williams
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
126 Posts

Profile of Tokyo Williams
I would encourage you to spend some time reading the posts over in "The Spooky..." section of The Cellar. I think one of the big steps is realizing what bizarre magick is, and what it isn't. You'll find a huge archive of effects, stories and theory ready for your hungry consumption right here at the Café.
I have nothing to say
And I am saying it
And that is poetry.
-John Cage
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
All Bizzar. Magic is is the ability to tell a really strange story in concert with some kind of magic effect.

CAN .... you tell stories? Can you make up a story? If you can't then you may have some trouble.

Before I go on.....IF you don't know even some basic magic routines then you shouldn't even be asking this question. So I have to assume you do know basic magic, etc.

Try this as an exercise: Take 3-6 of the most mundane magic tricks you own or do. Now, make up as strange and out there a story with that routine as you can possibly come up with. I mean go on a tear. Let loose. Whatever comes to mind.

Let's take the Ball Vase as an example. Here's a great little classic trick. Tons of folks have them, but very few do anything of note with it. It "seems" so, well, blase, boring even. Lift lid take out ball, replace lid, vanish ball, show back under the lid, etc.

I am making this up totally on the spur of the moment in an attempt to show you process, etc. Ok, what could you do to a little plastic Ball Vase that might make it more interesting? How about painting it in some fashion to make it look older and more used, beat up, etc.? It could be stressed by rubbing with sandpaper and/or putting a cig lighter to it.... and so on....and on...

Now, that you have it looking interesting, what could it be? WHY do you have a small vase holding a small ball? What's it's purpose? Is it dangerous, is it nice. Does it tell the future or guarantee good luck?

What if you buy two of them and now you have an extra ball. How about loading the ball secretly into the pocket of a spectator.

"Let me show you something that has been in my family for about many generations. My great, great grandfather found it while working on an engineering project in central Europe just before the Russian revolution. It was supposedly the property of a Rommany fortune teller. But this vase doesn't tell the future, it imparts a small modicum of 'luck'. Here's how it works." You take the vase out of a neat looking little box. It's wrapped in silk, etc.

"Inside the vase is a small ball. The ball has peculiar properties. For instance if I place the ball in my pocket it will instantly appear back in the vase! If I close the vase and ask it to impart some good fortune then the person whose pocket it appears in will gain that fortune. Watch. The cover goes on and comes off and instantly the ball is in my pocket! I am liking this so far. But, watch. Again the ball goes in my pocket and again the ball travels to it's place in the vase."

"Watch one last time....I cover the vase the ball instantly vanishes....but it's NOT in my pocket! Please would you check yours?"

Etc, etc. Remember when making up patter that the audience WILL accept ANYTHING you say as true in the same way that they will suspend disbelief and watch a play. And, with magic, you have the advantage that you can make up truly outlandish stories and have them work!

Look at what the trick 'does'. What can that 'doing' ... mean? Go from there.

Good luck,
Brad Burt
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-10-11 15:49, PenEnpitsu wrote:
Are you talking about performers like Dan Sperry and Chris Angel?

Maybe he refined his act, but when he first hit the scene Criss Angel seemed more of a classic carny geek to me in his choice of material. So while the genre is right I think the spirit is off.

I see the Bizzarists more in the school of the ghost story tellers then Angel's "watch as I pretend to torture myself".

But maybe I'm wrong. About both.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Thanks Tokyo and Burt! I'm sort of wrestling with those definitions myself right now!

Maybe I make too big a deal out of labels, but most of my audience would not be comfortable with much of what I read in the Bizarre forums. I love telling stories, and it's fun to give someone a little chill, but body parts and devil books would have them up in arms, not in fear, but in outrage.

When necessary, I try to find a middle ground. I mean most effects can be done in a great way that will awaken the "Tingler" (remember Vincent Price?) but without crossing into necromancy.

Some items I recently found at a local thrift store suggested a story of an undying love, where the husband toasts his departed wife on what would be their 25th wedding anniversary. As he lifts his glass, a crystal bell tinkles softly. 'Nuff said.

(As I've read often in Bizarre, less is more.)

And you've GOT to know your audience! Smile
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Gypsyprince12
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Gypsyprince12
Thank you all for taking your time to respond to me . I really didn't think I made any sense and thought nobody would
respond. I had a hard time really trying to express what I was wanting to ask. I had a hard time sleeping all week
too, and I'm still being cursed . So that might be why I was a little confused trying to express my self. I hope everything will be somewhat clearly
written today.

Growing up I always use to make up stories and share them. I have lots of stories in my head all the time actually. I think I live in a completely different reality (but was is that anyways?)I'm constantly fantasizing and have mystical daydreams and strange perceptions of life. I use to make up stories to tell my little brother when he was younger . I made up a story once about a family of turtles and also use to tell him stories about a thinking man who worried so much the
tree he sat under absorbed all the negative thoughts and withered away . These stories were told to a 8 year old kid I know.Smile I also use to tell stories to friends . Once I get interested in a subject for instance like psychic ablities and after I've
done a lot of research, I love explaining to people the possibilities of psychic abilities. I do the same thing after reading about
a local haunting ,fairy faith or some weird metaphysical story that shares a moral or something. . I spent my entire life telling stories truthfully. I'm not saying I spent a lot of time lying ,but I use to tell some pretty tale tells when I was in High school ,and people would really listen.

I do have some experience with magic. I know quite a bit about it and spend time working on routines off and on.
There just something missing when practicing. I really want to be able to share something that I can't seem to find to share.
Story telling magick or Bizarre magick seems to be the torch to light my path and help me with the inspiration and motivation I'm looking for.

I don't want to be like Chris Angel. I respect him and hes very good at what he does, but I really get a funny feeling in my stomach watching him. I don't really enjoy
his style truthfully. So, no that is not the direction I'm wanting to go at the moment.

I also tried coming up with a tell using these mini spirit slates I have had for awhile. I also have an old teachers bell I found at work about 6 months ago
. I have lot of ideas for these two things. Maybe I can come up with something to share with my family by Halloween.

I want to say more but I'm about to crash and burn , because I'm very tired. I hope too be able to find other bizarrists to maybe see live or get to know.
So I'm making wish and praying before a actually fall asleep .

zzzzzzzzzz

thank you all

namaskar
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:

(As I've read often in Bizarre, less is more.)

Dman right! This is something you learn if you run true horror roleplay games or do horror in any other sort of medium.

The scariest things are the things you don't see. The creepiest things are not the menace itself... but the foreboding sense of the menace's presence.

Something as simple as a flickering lamp light and a dog with an odd limp can evoke real creeps if described properly.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
In the end IF you want to do what you talk about then it's all about coming up with material that you can perform and seeing what happens and adjusting from there. You need to start taking what is in your head and attaching it something 'magical' and seeing what comes of it. The more you do the more you will start to see what works, etc.

Best,
Brad Burt
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Also Read, Read, Read.

If you haven't read much Edgar Alan Poe that's pretty much a must to start with. And don't just read the stories, absorb his use of language, study his use of imagery.

I basically recommend for study of ANY media you experience it three times in immediate succession.

The first, just experience it as a consumer to get the effect and purpose.

The second time, examine the experience carefully for subtle story and presentation details you missed the first time because there are always some and you will recognize things now you didn't realize were important the first time through.

The third time, be totally analytic. Tear the media apart and examine all the details, what function they serve, and how it all comes together as a whole. Take notes. Ask yourself questions about why something is presented as it is and write it down, then find the answer in the text. In literature this is sometimes called "close reading."
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
How come so many people post on here when they are tired, on cold medicine, or otherwise out of their normal minds? If you have a serious question, and want a serious response, ask in a serious state of mind! Its the internet people. it will be here when you want it to be.
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
I would suggest starting with something as simple as PK touches. just youtube Criss Angel PK touches and watch that. nice presentation, and something very easy to do.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-10-14 16:17, othelo68 wrote:
How come so many people post on here when they are tired, on cold medicine, or otherwise out of their normal minds? If you have a serious question, and want a serious response, ask in a serious state of mind! Its the internet people. it will be here when you want it to be.

Non-sequitor?

Are you talking about the fact that a certain significant percentage of the internet doesn't know what constitutes a paragraph?

If so then welcome to the illiterate state of 21C. America.

Or were you just tired, on cold medicine, or otherwise out of your normal mind when you posted this?
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
So oen more comment, the original poster asked about acting lessons.

Although acting is certainly part of it, this is more about story-telling than it is about acting. Which is why I suggested studying great creepy story tellers like Poe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning to be more bizarre (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL