The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Cool Vampire Flick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2438 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2010-10-11 01:11, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-11 01:08, Payne wrote:
I've been told that in the book the little girl is actually a little boy who can pass for a girl. Which makes the story just that much more creepy and disturbing.

I've seen the original Swedish version and enjoyed it immensely. Thus there is no reason to go see the remake. I here they are trying to do an American version of "The Host" as well. Sad.

Why is that sad?

In the book, long ago in his human life, Eli (a boy) was castrated by a vampire nobleman, which is how he got to be a vampire. It's quite an issue (though never explicitle explored) as to why Eli chose to live the centuries as a girl instead of a preadolescent boy. The rest of the book and the film, Eli never answers direct questions, and hints several times "I'm not a girl" (which the audience is left to think means "I'm not a human girl, I'm a vampire".) In Sweden, where the book was written, Eli is a boy's name. In that light, it's sad because she's "neither here nor there" both in the human/vampire sense and the gender sense, and it mirrors Oskar's situation: a boy whose treatment by the bullies includes abusive comments that he's a girl, and whose likely fate (and the only way he can really wind up loving Eli) is to become the next in her long line of once-human servants.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-10-11 00:24, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
My daughter (who loves such things) caught Let Me In at the Edmonton International Film Festival last month. She reported that the film is an excellent remake , but that it is an equal of the original. Very good, worth seeing, but given the choice see the original.

I'll take her word for it.

John

Typo: I meant "not an equal of the original". My apologies.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Cool Vampire Flick (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL