The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » A bit concerned..Bizarre show for Witches Coven (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I did my bizarre themed "The Exorcism" for a pagan/wiccan group. Based on Jim Magus' "The Number of the Beast", it could be considered offensive by some (either Christians or pagans). However, this was a sophisticated group that understood Theater. They could handle and enjoy it.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
SO, WR - How'd the show GO?

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
"Inquiring Minds Want To Know!"
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
It will be in OCT. I am working on a new twist where I tell them "Tonight we are going to confront your fears...We shall rip them from your soul and leave them in plain view..." I am working on The Hanging today.
The fears I will cover are Being Buried alive, hung to death, Ghost, Losing ones soul, Jack the Ripper, Vampires, Wearwolves etc....
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
antiquity

Hanging? Burried?

These are hardly modern or pertinant fears.

Here are a few that come to mind;
Congratulations... you're being audited.
We've decided to terminate your position
Pecadillos made public
Unknown children trying to make contact
It's not addicitve... really
It's a medication so it's okay
Bovine hormones are safe
Irradiated food is safe

We seem to have an imagination problem around here. Even Harlan Ellison noticed the need for modern 'gods' and new takes on 'burnt offerings' to these and smaller 'household gods' over twenty years ago in his stories.

Are there preconsios entities in the internet trying to communicate with us? What's on their minds? Can they make the phone ring?

So much to explore.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I will tie them in with a history of fear. I like the idea of modern fears. Good tie-in. Thanks Jon!
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
lyndonwebb
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of lyndonwebb
Well i hope your show goes aswell as mine, i opened with my version of Peters Bell,Book and Candle
Straight into a bit of Rope magic (themed to Wiccan rope magic) and then straight into a hanging, (rope through body (well neck).
The only thing that bothered me was there was only silence after my first routine and i thought, that i did'nt go well, until i realised that it was STUNNED SILENCE.
Well they absolutely loved it, and i get a few more bookings after including a Seance on All Hallows Eve, that is if i don't have to go somewhere Hot and Sunny(Day job)
Anyway Good luck WR and if you need anything Pm me. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Please post about what you did and how it went.

Real curious about their appreciation of material and any feedback they offer. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
Good day to all,

Being raised Pagan by my parents, I believe that any references to witched made to witches will usually only be met with enjoyment for the most part. Only when you are offensive to a group will they get offended and most references to witches as evil creatures are met with understanding that it is simply theater. And besides, we love a good magic show. Smile

Pleasures to you all,
Malak
++++++++++++++++++++
"Witches: Not just for burning anymore!"
++++++++++++++++++++
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Quote:
On 2003-07-28 02:17, Malak wrote:
Good day to all,

Being raised Pagan by my parents, I believe that any references to witched made to witches will usually only be met with enjoyment for the most part. Only when you are offensive to a group will they get offended and most references to witches as evil creatures are met with understanding that it is simply theater. And besides, we love a good magic show. Smile

Pleasures to you all,
Malak
++++++++++++++++++++
"Witches: Not just for burning anymore!"
++++++++++++++++++++

Agreed, Malak! Every time I have performed for Wiccan and neo-pagan groups the responses have been uniformly great. Of course, being one myself helps.

Whether at Merry Meet (the international convention of the Covenant of the Goddess, the largets networking organization for pagans in the world), Pan Pagan (the Midwest Pagan Council's annual camping convention) or Magickal Weekend (the St. Louis area pagan gather), the responses have been wonderful.

Wiccans and pagans are, in general, great audiences and more than willing to have a good time at a good show.

Play it from the heart, whether light-hearted or "heavy" and they will show their appreciation - thoroughly.

BB,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The main thing when you do something like this is to go in respectfully. It couldn't hurt to do some reading up on the subject. Books by Buckland, P.E.I. Bonewits and some of the other authorities will give you some knowledge.

JonTown wrote:
Quote:

antiquity
Hanging? Burried? (sic)
These are hardly modern or pertinant fears.

These things still occur, and they are part of what one would call "group memory." The occurrences are rare and seldom legal, but it can happen.

However, the modern references are an excellent idea.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Bill Palmer has it dead on as usual (Hi Bill!).

Reading up on the topic is always a good idea.

Some suggestions:

Adler, Margot - Drawing Down The Moon, considered by many to be THE definitive overview of the neo-pagan and Wiccan movement.

Farrar, Janet & Stewart - The Witches Bible, an excellent overview of the major rituals and tenets of the Wiccan (Alexandrian) religion and a basis from which many others have sprung.

Starhawk - The Spiral Dance, an excellent philosophical and practical manual.

Bonewitz, P.E.I. Practical Magic (IIRC), an overview by a fellow who actually has his degree in Witchcraft from Berkeley and contains serious comparisons between the Wiccan and Satanic paths and a superb cult threat awareness profile system.

Fortune, Dion - just about anything, especially her fiction, which tips more than her teaching texts.

Cunniham, Scott, Wica: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, an excellent general text.

People to avoid: Leo Martello, considered too commercial by many and mostly a watered down rehash of several of the texts above. Stanley Modrzyk, repetitive materials in his two books and considered by many to be far too paternalistic and pedantic an approach. Gavin and Yvonne Frost seem to advocate some things sexual that are illegal in all 50 states. Raymond Buckland, he has freely admitted that he has made much of his stuff up and has tried to pass as a Romany Gypsy and a member of the British aristocracy.

These are JUST opinions, please feel free to form your own opinions, of course.

I would suggest checking out Covenant of the Goddess on a Google search as well as Circle Sanctuary (in Wisconsin).

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Mina
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto Canada
101 Posts

Profile of Mina
I m with mstrhypno, If your unsure then reading up on it is a good idea.
The list of book mstrhyphon has suggested are great books.. Or at least I think so. Personally speaking anything by Scott Cunniham is a great book/

With that said I m Wiccan ( Not in a coven however) If you respect your audiance no matter what their relgion is everyone will have a good time!

I know I enjoy a good magic show!!

So go and have fun!!!

Look forward to finding out how everything went

Mina
OMG Did someone say Richard Sanders!?
Kenn Capman
View Profile
Regular user
Southwestern Michigan
196 Posts

Profile of Kenn Capman
You may want to consider a quick reading of "Magic & Meaning" by Burger & Neale.

I've dealt with these performance conditions and audiences quite a bit in the past and I've found that if you stay to themes and plots that focus on archetypes and symbolism, you'll do fine.

You mentioned doing routines with vampires and other supernatural critters which I think is a good idea as long as you don't offer explanations for the origins/true nature of these critters.

You may also do well to play on some universal fears. Death, disease, crime always make good backdrops for bizarre/non-traditional magic performances.
"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents."
- Salvador Dali -
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of ventman
Well said mstrhypno and Kenn. Universal fears draw universal attention and interest.

Coldthorn
BearMage
View Profile
New user
Kalamazoo, MI
26 Posts

Profile of BearMage
Quote:
People to avoid: ...Raymond Buckland, he has freely admitted that he has made much of his stuff up and has tried to pass as a Romany Gypsy and a member of the British aristocracy.

These are JUST opinions, please feel free to form your own opinions, of course.

I would suggest checking out Covenant of the Goddess on a Google search as well as Circle Sanctuary (in Wisconsin).

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
hhttp://www.leedarrow.com

Q: How many Buckland witches does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: (spoken sternly) Why do you ask that question 'initiate'!

Truth has it, there are some fellow pagans that consider use of the word witch as in 'wicked witch' to be offensive. The situation is usually easily remedied by subsituting the word "sorceress or sorceror".

As for the show, scare the bejeebers out of 'em, they'll love you for it.

Blessin's

Bear
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that the savage has,
because we know how it was made. We have lost as much as we gained by
prying into that matter."
Mark Twain
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Bear! Nice comments and a great joke!

I hope these bring a smile to your face and a laugh to your day.

To continue in that vein (or is that "artery?")...

Q: How many Witches does it take to change a light bulb?
A: (General) Into what?
A. (Gardnerian) That's Third Degree material, ask your High Priestess!
A. (Alexandrian) Let me take a look in Gardner's Book of Shadows!
A. Asatru (Norse) Dark?! We're not afraid of the dark! Pass the mead!
A. (Dianic Separatist) That's a typically MALE joke - and it's NOT funny!

If Alastair Crowley had been a brewer, would we have had Bibbity Bobbity Booze?

If he'd been a apiary (beekeeper), would we have had Blessed Bees?

And just how large WAS Dion's Fortune?

Is it true that Witches have big Besoms? (The Besom is the ritual broom)

Q: Why do Witches meet in Circles?
A. Harder to get cornered by the Inquisition that way!

"Remember, if one is not secure enough in one's beliefs to be able to laugh about them, then one is not secure enough IN their beliefs!" - me.

With respect to All and malice toward None, Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet, again!

Lee Darrow, C.Ht.
Kenn Capman
View Profile
Regular user
Southwestern Michigan
196 Posts

Profile of Kenn Capman
Three more for the fire:

Q: How many gamer wiccans does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: Roll two D20 and consult the appropriate table.

Q: How many skyclad wiccans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: As many as will fit!

Lastly, (and mercifully)

Q: How many solitary practicioners does it take to screw in a light bulb?
"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents."
- Salvador Dali -
BearMage
View Profile
New user
Kalamazoo, MI
26 Posts

Profile of BearMage
I can't believe that this topic turned into a rash of bad pagan lightbulb jokes....

Oh.. btw.. .you missed this one

Q: How many Family Traditionalists does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Candles were good enough for our grandmothers. Candles are good enough for us!

Blessin's

Bear

PS... the point being "Pagans are People" treat 'em with respect and entertain 'em!
"We have not the reverent feeling for the rainbow that the savage has,
because we know how it was made. We have lost as much as we gained by
prying into that matter."
Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » A bit concerned..Bizarre show for Witches Coven (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL