We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » New website starting to come together (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
I have put up my front page and my second page on my new web host. I`d welcome any comments. (There are some stray bits on the bottom of the second page; reminders to me of links to add.)

I`d also welcome any CSS help for the first div on the second page. It looks great in IE - tanks in FF! Also the font in the divs after the first two looks like a typewriter with a bad ribbon in FF. (I did use W3C validator and fixed all errors.)

Ed
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22516 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
To many boxes, shuts off the flow of the page.
You should have some pictures with your titles, next to the wording.
Use the whole wide screen, not just the middle.

When subject changes put it on a new page, people no longer want to scroll down pages with the new screen formats.
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Wmhegbli: Since you've got so much to say about web sites, what's your website address so we can look at and compare what you've created??
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1589 Posts

Profile of Futureal
What's that got to do with it?

Millions of people seek out Roger Ebert's opinions on films before deciding to go and see them. He hasn't written, directed, or starred in any films.
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Quote:
On 2010-10-12 04:20, Futureal wrote:

Millions of people seek out Roger Ebert's opinions on films before deciding to go and see them. He hasn't written, directed, or starred in any films.

There's one small but important difference.
Roger generally knows what he's talking about.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
The box concept was an attempt to mimic the page turning of a book, because it's all the same story - this is the magic I deliver. Step by step, I lead you (hopefully!) into deciding you like it enough to buy.

If they don't like it enough to scroll down, they won't buy. I've scrolled all over huge pages that I was interested in.

Some photos might work in the second box, but I think I'd rather keep the top "title box" with just the colored text. A photo might distract from that. (And it took me a lot to learn the correct html to get that shading!!)

Narrow width was an attempt to (a) accomodate the smallet netbook screens, and (b) create a focus. Spreading out menas the eyes have to wander to get the whole message; narrow and centered means everything is right there in front of them.

Ed
wiggenhorn
View Profile
New user
Minnesota
6 Posts

Profile of wiggenhorn
Quote:
On 2010-10-12 04:44, bubbleburst2004 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-12 04:20, Futureal wrote:

There's one small but important difference.
Roger generally knows what he's talking about.

I'm getting close to being off-topic, but Roger Ebert actually did write a film: Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1077 Posts

Profile of Nash
Ed ... I said this with love and respect.
But it seems like you're building your own website, yet it doesn't seem like you are an expert in this field.

I'm in the same position as you Ed. If you have the resources, I'll say go with a professional my man. A lot of customers shop on the internet these days, they'll judge you by how professional of a website you have, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot with what you have right now.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

NashFung.com/virtual-magic-show
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Ed -

In my opinion, you use too many different colours on the page (highlighting text, etc.) I've also read copyrighting experts who cautioned against too many different colours.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22516 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-10-12 02:25, LVMagicAL wrote:
Wmhegbli: Since you've got so much to say about web sites, what's your website address so we can look at and compare what you've created??

As stated previously, I designed http://www.dickstoner.com take a look.

My point about not scrolling, was if the page stops at blank area, and they do not see the side scroll bar, then they will think that is the whole page. Mentioned in another string here, design a 960 pixel page. Microsoft also has an automatic compatibility view built into I.E. which adjusts for your screen.

Just some suggestions, being you asked.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On 2010-10-12 16:34, wmhegbli wrote:
My point about not scrolling, was if the page stops at blank area, and they do not see the side scroll bar, then they will think that is the whole page. Mentioned in another string here, design a 960 pixel page. Microsoft also has an automatic compatibility view built into I.E. which adjusts for your screen.

Ah - excellent point about the blank areas - didn't think of that.

Don't think that 960px is gonna work too well - this is eventually going tino a static WordPress page, and the header graphis there is 990px wide, with space on either side. Given that, I might adjust my div widths to match that.

I'm also trying to design to work in IE, FFox, Chrome, mobile WAP, and Windows mobile (those being what's available to me). The mobile is kinda worrisome, since I know lots of people just use their phones, especially in a spur-of-the-moment situation.

I'm not a professional web designer by any means, although I do have a decent background in Visual Basic. Wish I could afford a nice designer - maybe when I get my taxes back (_if_ I get any back!!).

Ed
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
My First impression is that it's honest, it shows your target market exactly what you do and it looks like it fits your style. Your photos have enough life to them to "tell your story". Add more photos as you get them. People having fun is your message. To fluff it up, I would add a page of "10 suggestions to make the party go better" and add testimonials as you get them.

At least you have a site. You'd be surprised at the number of clowns, out there, who don't.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
I would add a page of "10 suggestions to make the party go better" and add testimonials as you get them.

Oh yeah! Thanks for the reminder, Jay. As well as the kind words. (Though I'm really trying hard not to be thrown to the clowns!)

Ed
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
HI Ed,
long time since we talked ( I am the guy who helped with your Biz card.

I too am working on a new website I hope to have done before the end of the month.

I am no expert but let me say this first with your site remove any flash as we are in digital times and flash does not work on many if not almost all mobile devices. plus its just not cool anymore at least that is the trend these days.

VIDEO must have a VIDEO be it 90seconds or more it is a must! I am sure you are planning to get one soon:)

also I agree too many things make it look like a clown site.
some good artwork with magic hat and wand would serve you well for what you are doing. check istock.com or shutterstock.com ( I hate to offer them up but they are great resources and this is magicians helping magicians RIGHT?!)

I think the landing page should be centered and then links either down the side or above or leave it where it is and put links to the right.
and maybe instead of "click here for magic" maybe "enter the magic HERE"
making the HERE a hyper link

as for the next page just my feelings but I am not thrilled with box after box of info. its easy to read yes but there are too many colors and make sure you stay with in 2-3 fonts per page! feel free to use bold, italic, large and small just don't use too many fonts.

again not liking the links being at the bottom of the page.

Ok that all being said I will say this Great job for taking the effort to learn and design your site as mentioned before many magicians and clowns don't have one at all!

and finally have you thought about purchasing templates you still design the site but you get some nice templates that will make it much easier to create your site.

I wish you the best.

my old site is still up feel free to look at it and hope to have the new one up real soon.

magically yours
sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
The facts as I see it:
- The cost of building a website by a freelancer who knows what they are doing will cost you about the fee that you get from one show. If your fee is $100, there are people out there who will build you a decent to good site for $100. If your fee is $500, you'll get a top-quality site. And so on for as high a fee as you get.
- The time it takes a person to try to build a site on your own when you don't already have the knowledge and talents is easily (and I'm going to guess here) 40 to 80 hours. This includes research, discussions, trial and error, and the continual development to perfect everything that will be ongoing. I know that it would take myself at least this long or more as I don't know how to build a site (technically speaking anyway).
- If you spend the 40 to 80 hours NOT building your own site but, rather, to pick up the phone or knock on some doors to sell yourself to potential clients, you will have easily sold (making a reasonable assumption here) between 3-10 shows in the process (depending upon the market). The result is that you will have a professionally made site (costing you only 1 of those 3-10 shows you booked), significant extra cash lining your pocket, additional performance experience, and you will be better positioned to sell more shows in the future. To me, this is a better result than building a site yourself, having earned no money, and having a site that, honestly, isn't really up to a reasonable standard.

I urge people to serious consider where they are putting their time and make sure to figure out the opportunity costs associated with their chosen activities. This is a business afterall.

Of course, this is just my opinion and I really do wish the best for Ed.
Flymo
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of Flymo
Ed, I have to say I completely agree with Mr. Burtons logic here. Can you imagine a web designer deciding to create a one off hour long magic performance. Perhaps you could even source an IT student to create it for you at a discounted price (or trade your entertainment services).

However, if you decide to continue making your own site, I think you are on the right track. My initial suggestion is that perhaps the background is slightly hard on the eyes though.

All the best.
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Scott you are very right in what you say. I did suggest the templates as it would speed up the process big time however you are so correct with your analogy

its like buying the knock off magic you think your saving some money only to find you have to replace it 2 times a year

yes time could be better spent then trying to create something your not familiar with

FLYMO I like your anology the best I would liek to see a web guy try to put a 30 minute show together!

any way ED if you having fun doing it yourself then go for it however if the goal is to have a really good site and time is tight get a pro or at least soem one that has the experience
try craigslist in the barter section - I have found all sorts of great services to barter with there
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
monstercreations
View Profile
Regular user
England
116 Posts

Profile of monstercreations
Hi,
If I wanted a great Kids Magic Show for my 9 year old son, I wouldn't cut corners and do it myself, I'd get a professional magician in. Can you see what I'm getting at ? You don't have to hire me but do hire any half decent web designer, look at thier portfolio and see what they offer. I think there is a saying relating to crash helmets but can be applied to this... "10 dollar head, buy a 10 dollar helmet".
Web coding is the easy part, you can learn to code css and html in a couple of days, It's the design that's the hard bit, you need to have an eye for it.
Ade
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Okay - it's up!! Yeah, there's some bugs: a few links not working yet, some IE/FF CSS issues. But it'll get me going - kinda like my first car ... gotta get the wok to get the money to get a _real_ ride, y'know?

(Speaking of which, I've got two major gigs coming up:
-- next Saturday, at our Children's Fesitval of the Arts, I'n on stage for half an hour in front of - oh, about 1,000 people!
-- two weeks later, a show at the local Army base library, which is where I work (the base, not the library).

Moving this beast to the launching pad! Yahoo!!!

Ed
(I'm a bit excited, if you couldn't tell!!)
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ed
Where is the big head shot of you with a smile on your face welcoming visitors? A lot of magic web sites do not tell you just where they live, and yours says it all on the cover page.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » New website starting to come together (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL