The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Has anyone here used the 'make anything vanish' gimmick? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gonche
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Gonche
I was reading through this: http://www.abra4magic.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=magic&Product_Code=E162, and for some reason, my snake-oil senses flared up.

Has anyone used this? Should I purchase it? If it does what it says, I can think of so many ways to use this...
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Looks like a p*** with a c**p on the end.

Whats the big deal?
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I should note that such things often look cleaner on web video then IRL thanks to limited frame rate.

Even then though I think I saw a "tell".
Gonche
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Gonche
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but it claims that the item can 'be made to reappear', which would be beyond what a $20 reel could do, I think.

However, after reading through the website, the whole thing just screams out snake-oil to me. All the sales-language and over-sensationalised phrases are putting me off.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Pass on this one. You can make any holdout reappear with a piece of fishing line.

Jim
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I wonder. My Jack Miller Holdout and Raven have served me fine for years. This still looks like you need a jacket, as in the Topit, but the sleeves worked much better for me, as my holdout can be done surrounded. The Raven has the advantage of not touching the object to be vanished. Just a wave of your hand over it...gone!

$20 is really not bad, since you get many ideas, and a beginner could do well with this, since it's adaptable. If he/she works with this, it could become a valuable tool. This is not really for me, though. I already have a Raven, a Holdout, and a small pull I made myself, but never use any more. My vanishes are usually coins, and they are usually impromptu, these days.

Hey, your mileage may vary. This might be a good value, for $20! I wonder, though, if Steve Dusheck gave permission for his WunderBar to be sold as the Floating Silver Bar? >

http://www.abra4magic.com/Merchant2/merc......ry_Code=

Just sayin'...

Doug
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I dunno. Looks to me like a basic j***** p***. (Watch the j****** and the way he holds all the objects, which isn't entirely natural in all cases,)

$20.00 seems pretty expensive for that. And if he's overcharging for the prop I wouldn't lay odds that the DVD is very useful.

I smell stinky fish here. Not that I am right all the time when I do.
Gonche
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Gonche
...Why do you keep putting asterisks in your words?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi, Gonche! Welcome to the Café!

This is a public forum, and revelation of methods and magic secrets are forbidden. Those of us who have been here a while understand this "shorthand". Most of the more detailed discussions are held in a forum, called, "Secret Sessions", which you will be invited to access after 50 legitimate posts, here.

I hope this clarifies it! Smile

Doug
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
And also, I'm from New York originally and have a new York vocabulary.

So SOME words, the boards put asterisks in replace of for me Smile

But unless its a curse word, Doug's explanation is 100% right.
Gonche
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of Gonche
Ah, I see. I asked because I've seen a few people on the boards use the words I think you're using.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I bought the "Make Anything Vanish" effect/gimmick quite a few years ago and It actually was not the actual effect/gimmick I was upset with but it actually was what ELSE I bought from that shop that got me a little mad. Let me explain. First of all I have used abra4magic.com plenty of times in the past and the customer service has always been excellent. UMSI seems to be a company that a lot of their products are sold at Abracadabra magic. Now without trying to reveal anything like I know I am not supposed to, the FIRST thing I ordered was the "Snapple Cap in Bottle" effect. I recieved the item and then I ordered "Make Anything Vanish" a week later and with the exception of one tiny object, both items were exactly the same. The items were basically a p**l. The same exact p**l. Now I understand that when you purchase things in the "magic world" you are paying for the secret, but these items were totally identical. It should have been sold all as one, the gimmick and a few effects with that said gimmick as one, not seperately. Their customer service was very understanding as I said and took one P**l back and gave me a refund. They explained that you are paying for the secret but this just didn't make sense. Then some time later I had my eye on an effect, "Deck Penetration Through bottle". I recieved "the secret" and something a little different this time.............TWO p**ls, yup, the exact same ones as before.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Question:

Is this the same "Abracadabra" Magic, that used to be: ABRACADABRA MAGIC SHOP 280-T81 HAMILTON • RAHWAY, NJ 07065? I used to order from them back in the 70's!

Doug
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Yes, I believe it is.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Thanks, Nattefrost! That is amazing! I have so many good memories of that! It was 1971! My first "real" magic prop, The Vampire Block was ordered from them! Man, so long ago...
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
687 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Dougini, closing in on almost 3000 posts you obviously are a veteran in the magic world. Maybe you will understand this---- Abracadabra Magic was the FIRST online site I started dealing with a long time ago....I didn't even realize that there were tons of other online shops that you could purchase magic effects from. I used Abracadabra magic for almost a year before I started discovering all of these other online magic stores. Like I said in a previous post, UMSI seems to be a main company that Abracadabra uses. MJM has a small line of UMSI products, too, but I don't really see them anywhere else. It was after dealing with Abracadabra Magic that I started learning about other sites like Mjm, Penguin, Elmwood, Magic Trick Store, Magic Warehouse, Bob Solari, Denny & Lee, Magic Place Usa, Alakazam, Ellusionest, and many, many others. When a new product comes out, for example, like "The Hawk", "TKO", or when "The Extractor", or "Tarantula" came out a few years ago, or any of the trillions of effects that are supposed to be "the next big thing" in the magic community, all of these sites will have these items, EXCLUDING Abracadabra. Why, I don't know. They seem to have their own line of effects, UMSI products being one of the suppliers, and unfortunately their product list has not changed much over the years. It has pretty much been the same. They also carry products from "Werry", who is- from what I understand- a magician from the past (I think in the 50's or 60's) that has his own line of "criticized" products, (and I have a bunch of them). Abracadabra Magic does have some products, though, that I have NOT seen other sites advertise and sell, like "The Show Stopper Card" and a few others, but that's about it and it's too bad they don't get some new things to add to their site every now and then. I have been checking their "NEW PRODUCTS" list from time to time, and it has been the same items that were on their site many years ago. But like Dougini, it was my first Magic Shop I was using and it does bring back some memories.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Has anyone here used the 'make anything vanish' gimmick? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL