The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 11 miners to the surface so far (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
I watched the first two on live TV last night. What an experience. It reminded me of watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. A bunch of waiting while watching mundane equipment, but what anticipation! This was truly the most exciting TV I've seen in a very long time.

All the best for the final 22.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
In the newspaper this morning, they wrote about possible problems that the miners could face. Several were understandable - lack of vitamin D, skin fungus, etc. A couple, however, seemed a bit far-fetched to me - problems after experiencing higher-than-normal gravitational pull, and the possibility of getting "the bends" as they were pulled to the surface.

Can these actually occur within just a half-mile of the earth's surface, if you are not in water?!?!?!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
ClintonMagus,

I agree that decompression sickness seems a bit far-fetched, since the mine is not pressurized. Decompression sickness (or "caisson disease") used to occur in "sandhogs" who worked in underwater "caissons" that were highly pressurized in order to keep the water out.

Any problems due to changes in gravitational pull sound like nonsense to me.

Woland
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

13 up now. TV time-fillers notwithstanding, this is a very exciting achievement.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Very exciting!

Paulo
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I wonder- is the miner who's wife and mistress found out about each other due to this disaster going to come up last? Or just stay down there and have them keep sending him sandwiches?
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-10-13 14:09, EsnRedshirt wrote:
I wonder- is the miner who's wife and mistress found out about each other due to this disaster going to come up last? Or just stay down there and have them keep sending him sandwiches?

You will probably have to check out the gossip papers for that info. I just hope and pray they are all in decent condition both emotionaly and physcialy.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Michael Daniels
View Profile
Inner circle
Isle of Man
1469 Posts

Profile of Michael Daniels
Best levitation ever?

Mike
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think it is great they are getting 'em out. I love Chile and the people there.

I'm not sure about underground bends but I would think that clotting etc could be a problem. Just a note, you don't need deep water for the bends. My old ship, the USS Simon Lake (Balducci, go look it up) had the only decompression chamber in the region so we got the people if they were civilians or military, unfortunately many died and others were physically damaged for life. What interested me is we had a Navy Diver who had the bends from a very long period in 12 feet of water. I don't understand it all but it is a serious problem when it exist.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

22 up 11 to go. Fantastic progress!
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
It does seem to be going more quickly.
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
197 Posts

Profile of R.S.
I heard that once rescued, none of them will be allowed to go to the bar across the street for a celebration. Because they're all miners (minors). Smile

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
See what happens when a company can't handle the situation and hires people who can? If this happened in Minnesota they would still be getting FEMA into position and deciding who would be a good spokesperson.

Here is the question...when the miner gets out and see's his wife and his girlfriend which does he hug first?
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Just watched the clip of the guy with the wife and mistress come up. The mistress was there but the wife boycotted!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Mistresses like tube time more than wives.

(Note: Tube is slang for television for you puritans)
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If this happened in California they would have had to file an enviromental impact statement prior to drilling the escape tunnel. If it happened in New Orleans the miners would have looted the mine and the press would have tried to pump water into the shaft. If it happened in New York they would have claimed that the shaft was part of the underground railroad and that it was where jazz was created. If it happened in Pennsylvania the people would have checked to see if the miners could see their shadow when they came out. If it happened in Texas the populace would have found out there were no little girls trapped in the mine and gone home.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
VIVA CHILE!

33 MINERS SAVED !

IM SO HAPPY Smile
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yes! Viva Chile!

I have to go back to Chile again.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4978 Posts

Profile of landmark
And if it happened in Washington DC, Congress would vote to spend a few more trillion on war, cut taxes for the rich, and steadfastly uphold the freedom to make unsafe mine shafts.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I had chili dogs for dinner in their honor!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 11 miners to the surface so far (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL