The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My First Rejection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
CRMagius
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of CRMagius
This isn't much of a story, but for the very first time in my experience, a potential spectator expressed his desire to NOT see any magic.

I of course pressed no further.

I find it surprising that this was the first time - I was expecting rejections to come more frequently than this, but I guess I've been lucky. (I've been doing magic for about 6 months)
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Ya know, CR, if I got a tip every time someone told me they did NOT want to see my magic, I could buy a car! (laughing)

Doug
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
You know.. .we magiciains tend to be a sensative lot.

I think we take the rejections far too seriously... or we did a really bad job as a kid and deserved the rejeciton.

Either way I think people who "don't like magic" are by FAR the minority. We tend to think there are lots more then there really are.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I get this sort of response every day...from my wife.
You get use to it.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
You married the wrong girl Smile
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
Don't be shocked. These are normally the same people that do not appreciate any performance art. Face it bud, the guy who has a stack of VHS tapes of amateur mud wrestling probably won't give a hang if red cards are heavier than black...

We are in a capitalist world that rewards and encourages being an ignorant slob. The television and all other forms of media are controlled and designed to breed as many ignorant slobs as possible. That's because those people are easy to enslave.

They'll p1ss away their existence handing out happy meals and smile like a moron when they can p1ss away their paycheck on this years air jordan tennis shoes.

All performance art is suffering because we are raising up nations of zombies and vagrants. One fat global coal town.

Don't take it personally when some meat puppet doesn't want to see a performance. I've learned to spot these people for the most part and I don't even talk to them. You'll learn to. They have a vacant look in their eyes and trip on three syllable words.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Hey, CR! Congratulations on an outstanding six months of good luck! Hope you get yourself another six months!

Bill
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Love the i-i-i-icon Perry.

I wonder how many people get that today.

It was a magnificient show, doomed to die a quick death because it regularly bit the hands that fed.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Hey, Perry, don't be so wishy-washy. Tell us what you really think. Smile

CRMagius, the fact is, I think many people who DO watch the tricks are either being polite or just don't know how to say "no".

From reading your other post, I'd say you're going about this the right way, creating an opening for them to approach you. I would NEVER take the initiative myself, because it IS an interuption. They're out to have a good time with their friends, not be badgered by some clown with the manners of a two year old.

If you've been hired by the establishment to do walk-around, it's a different matter, because people see you at another table and expect that sooner or later you'll get to them. But to just walk up to some stranger and short-circuit whatever fun they had been having, well, I'd take it personally.

However, I have been known to slip a m****t into my soda straw and do some "impossible" balances. When they come over, I know they're interested. If they're not interested, I never even meet them.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2010-10-13 17:08, professorwhut wrote:
I get this sort of response every day...from my wife.
You get use to it.


You too???
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Quote:
On 2010-10-13 17:09, Cyberqat wrote:
You married the wrong girl Smile


She thought magic was cute 25 years ago. Smile
Oh well.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Quote:
On 2010-10-14 09:49, professorwhut wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-13 17:09, Cyberqat wrote:
You married the wrong girl Smile

She thought magic was cute 25 years ago. Smile
Oh well.

LOL! Thirty five years ago I was closing up the Magic Shop and spotted these three cute girls leaving the mall, so I called them in for one last trick. They were entertained, but didn't buy anything, although I did get one of their phone numbers. She even became my assistant. Five years later was ugly, painful and VERY expensive!

I used to wonder about that "fateful five minutes"; if I'd just kept my mind on my business...

Yes, there are some rejections that matter. Magic isn't one of the big ones! Smile Smile Smile
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Hi
I really think some people's ego won't let them enjoy magic. Maybe they feel like they're being made out to be a fool. And some people just don't like lose ends,and need an answer to what just happened.
My daughter for example, is a math teacher and she likes/hates magic.She told me that she likes it but doesn't like not knowing how an effect is done.I guess she's so used to finding the answer to a math problem, that she feels frustrated when she can't find the answer to a magic trick.
I enjoy doing magic for people who are amazed at what they just saw.I don't bother with people if I see they're the type who looks at it like a puzzle. If they like puzzles then let them get a rubics cube!
I realize that the people who respond with WTF are going to look for a solution way after the effect is done. Its just that the people who respond with hum,how did he just do that, are no fun at all.They didn't just see magic, they just saw a puzzle.
Sorry if I got a little off track with my post.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
I find magic is highly intellectual. not that you have to be Richard Feynman to understand it, but that the more you know the more you can feel comfortable with not knowing. Its essentially this: remember when you were 18 and the world made sense, up was up black was black and white was white. Now add a few years and if you took your teachers advise and kept learning everyday, growing as a person, and maybe even gone to college you know a lot more then you did but you know that you know less then you thought you did at 18. To these people magic is great. Look who has magic as a hobby. we have doctors and lawyers, veterinarians and engineers. its no coincidence. the sad fact is, some people never grow up, never get smarter, never learn more then they have to to fasten 4 bolts and collect and hourly wage. while we need these people its not a big deal if they don't get magic. there are other splendid and engaging people that do. Good luck finding people who like to see what you do! its a great art.
CRMagius
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of CRMagius
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I really didn't take it "hard" or "seriously" at all. As stated, I was expecting this to happen sooner/more. I've gotten enough good reactions to more than balance out one single rejection.

The most memorable so far:
- While leaping up from his chair and stumbling backward away from me, "OH! OH! OH! OH MY GOD! OH! OH! OH!" The trick was a simple Do As I Do, but he was a little tipsy at the time.

- "How did you do that? You can't do that! How did you do that? You can't do that!" (repeated several times) I could almost see the gears in her head turning - she kept mentally going over the trick to answer her question, but coming to the same conclusion each time; "You can't do that!" This one was a prediction in which the spectator does about 95% of the handling - very fooling, because there is so little handling, they can't even conceive that any sleight of hand was involved.

- My Dad, after I PK'd a fork at a restaurant, "Wha? Wha? What are you doing!?", then shaking his head vigorously as if trying to clear the proverbial cobwebs he began repeating to himself, "It's an illusion, it's an illusion, it's an illusion!"
lisheng
View Profile
New user
nowhere
61 Posts

Profile of lisheng
Quote:
On 2010-10-14 09:49, professorwhut wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-13 17:09, Cyberqat wrote:
You married the wrong girl Smile


She thought magic was cute 25 years ago. Smile
Oh well.

My girl never liked magic, but learnt the charlier because she thought it was cool
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Oh, and CR...I apologize for missing this, Welcome to The Magic Café!! Glad you joined us!

Quote:
On 2010-10-14 14:06, ralphs007 wrote:
Hi
I really think some people's ego won't let them enjoy magic. Maybe they feel like they're being made out to be a fool. And some people just don't like lose ends,and need an answer to what just happened.


Ego. Yeah, that IS the problem sometimes. The need for superiority. I showed a colleague I recently met, a sort of Twisting The Aces routine of mine. When the first card mysteriously "turned over", he said, "Whaaaa? That ain't possible! Do that again?" Well I did it four times, as the effect requires, and he walked away muttering to himself. The next time I saw him, I asked him if he wanted to see something else I was working on. He immediately said, "NO!! I HATE magic!" Okie dokie.

Quote:
Sorry if I got a little off track with my post.


No,no Ralph. You are right on track!

Doug
trouser
View Profile
New user
Texas
82 Posts

Profile of trouser
I talked my wife into going to see Lance Burton a few years ago when we were living in Las Vegas. I told myself in advance that I was going there to be entertained and not to bother wasting any time trying to figure out how he does anything. Seriously, putting my ego aside made it one of the best shows I've ever seen. It was like being a credulous little kid all over again. Too much logic and reason makes Jack a dull boy.
NexusMagicShop
View Profile
Elite user
Sunny California
434 Posts

Profile of NexusMagicShop
I have a couple of violent experiences to share. I had one guy who witnessed me performing for another group, He came up to me after, and demanded that I tell him how I did that. Of course I said the standard well if you don't know then I must have done that pretty well. I started to walk away with a smile and he grabbed me by my lapels and forcefully flipped me around and threw me against a wall. And then said I wasn't really asking, I was demanding. I looked at him right in his eyes without taking my eyes away I said in a firm voice, you need to let me go. You must be quite embarrassed. After a long pause with what seemed like forever. He released me and put his head down apologized, and walked away. And I must admit my knees were weak. I realized later my that was my first successful Induction. Smile And thank God it worked. He would have cleaned the floor with me as his sponge.

The second situation is pretty funny. I was out with a pretty well known magician performing for patrons in a local watering hole. (I won't say who as you will soon know why) He was performing for a beautiful girl, and her girlfriend. I was a couple of feet away watching as a spectator. The girls were really into his magic. With each effect the magic was becoming more and more powerful. He decided to close with his version of the invisible deck. And his version is the best I have ever seen. I have never seen this kind of reaction before or since: Her reaction was a stiff slap to his face, and in in a crowded bar. The Slap was so loud it snapped the entire crowds heads directly to him, and it became silent. She instantly started to cry for the embarrassment she had just caused and ran to the bathroom. He was left stunned with a defined red hand print developing on his face like a Polaroid picture.
A Bar full of College students thinking he said something very rude and inappropriate to a very beautiful girl, now wanted to kick his ass. I calmed the bar down, and had my friend escort him outta there. That was a close one. . . Has anyone ever heard of this kind of reaction before....

We laugh about it now, but it really wasn't that funny to him then.

- Jason
Image
Jason of BackroomMagic
www.BackroomMagic.com/| Mobile friendly magic forums and blogs
www.twitter.com/Nexusmagicstore
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Quote:
On 2010-10-13 18:48, Perry D Winkle wrote:
Don't be shocked. These are normally the same people that do not appreciate any performance art. Face it bud, the guy who has a stack of VHS tapes of amateur mud wrestling probably won't give a hang if red cards are heavier than black...

We are in a capitalist world that rewards and encourages being an ignorant slob. The television and all other forms of media are controlled and designed to breed as many ignorant slobs as possible. That's because those people are easy to enslave.


All performance art is suffering because we are raising up nations of zombies and vagrants. One fat global coal town.



No, I disagree

Read this month Magic Magazine for the article titled "advice" from Lance Burton

Not everyone will want to see your work but

If you can entertain that spectator in your audince who got dragged there because of whatever ..... If you can reach him, interest him in some way (and you won't every time)
.... you will be a much better entertainer

and that is what we are

Not magicians
but entertainers

Most people appreciate performance art IF YOU CAN MAKE IT ENTERTAINING!!! MAKING IT INTERESTING FOR THEM
for me it has taken years and playing for some of the toughest crowds you can imagine


and I don't care if a red card is heavier than a black care UNLESS

You and your performance (and skills) give me a reason to


and if that is your first rejection, you are doing pretty good
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My First Rejection (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL