The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My First Rejection (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
You never know what is going on in people's lives. It could be a bad time to see a Magic effect. It might be your approach but you can't be sure so you shouldn't take it too personally.

- Mary Mowder
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
[/quote]

No, I disagree

and that is what we are

Not magicians
but entertainers

[/quote]

This seems to be the new Café mantra, but I don't agree with it. To me, we are magicians first, then entertainers. Why conflate what we do with how we do it?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
What is getting lost here is the definition of entertainment. Try doing some of your magic in Beaver Dam Ky and ask them how entertaining you are... That'll be a yuk.

I'm consistently told that I'm an entertaining individual. However, I'm told this by a select group in our society. Those that value what you take for granted as entertainment.

I'm not a 50 mile magician. I travel all over my state and perform for a wide variety of people.

I've seen places where kids will dig my scrap balloons out of the trash and carry them away like prized possessions (Typically upper class and metropolitan areas).

I've also been to places where kids dig my scrap balloons out of the trash and make a game of stomping them to pieces (Typically coal towns).
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 15:12, Mr. Mystofelees wrote:

No, I disagree

and that is what we are

Not magicians
but entertainers

[/quote]

This seems to be the new Café mantra, but I don't agree with it. To me, we are magicians first, then entertainers. Why conflate what we do with how we do it?
[/quote]

It's not a new mantra anywhere, I'll leave you to do the research for when you find the source materials yourself it will mean much more to you

We are artists and entertainers.

For me, magic is the medium my art is expressed in, where the entertainment I provide springs forth from.
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 15:57, Perry D Winkle wrote:
What is getting lost here is the definition of entertainment. Try doing some of your magic in Beaver Dam Ky and ask them how entertaining you are... That'll be a yuk.

I'm consistently told that I'm an entertaining individual. However, I'm told this by a select group in our society. Those that value what you take for granted as entertainment.

I'm not a 50 mile magician. I travel all over my state and perform for a wide variety of people.

I've seen places where kids will dig my scrap balloons out of the trash and carry them away like prized possessions (Typically upper class and metropolitan areas).

I've also been to places where kids dig my scrap balloons out of the trash and make a game of stomping them to pieces (Typically coal towns).

What are scrap balloons and why is your material in the trash?

What is a 50 mile magician? Only traveling state wide? You only work in one state in the US? If it were Texas, California, New York or Alaska that would be a large and diverse area I suppose

Did you read the Burton article in last month's Magic Magazine? It might really help and give some perspective

I'll do my show in Beaver Dam, Kentucky. Love to learn and to have to work to reach people, to make them think and feel, to be entertained. No matter what, we are entertainers.

In the beginning of my career I worked some of the most challenging crowds any one could every imagine. I worked very tough bar crowds, movie patrons and some really crazy shows.

AND IT WAS THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAVE EVER HAPPENED TO ME AS AN ENTERTAINER.

I had to learn to entertain people who didn't care about my show, they weren't there to see me. At least not at first

So instead of saying they can't be entertained what about trying to reach them, elevate them to your show or make a few of your effects something they can relate to.

It will make you a better, more rounded performer

This could be a really great opportunity for you to learn, grow and become a better entertainer.

Just a different perspective, you can walk away from people you seemed to be stuck in front of trying to entertain (you mentioned coal mining towns twice already), blaming it on them or ......

You can have some fun, wrap something their mind will appreciate

Almost everyone wants to and needs to be entertained at some level and at some time
Illusions By Vick
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
One final thing before I go

The most important thing about your show, about every show.......

The audience has to like you
Get the audience to like you
The audience has to like you

Please try to understand this if you don't already,
it doesn't mean you have to bend over backwards to kiss anyone's anything

But you have to have a likability factor, it is so important to having a successful show. Once the like you ... you're on your way

Think about every show, any movie, any book you read, any entertainment you take in

Even the anti-hero ..... you have to be able to like

Be well gentleman and make your journeys serve you well
Illusions By Vick
CRMagius
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of CRMagius
You've said some wise things, Vick.

Some audiences will laugh at a comedian's scatological humour (i.e. fart jokes), while others will need something more refined. A good comedian knows which material to deliver, while a poor one blames his audience.
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

@CRMagius

I'm a poor magician now? You don't even know me. I can tell you one thing, I will walk away from someone before I deliver a fart joke.

The point that I'm making is that there are some people that do not want any performance art. Unless you consider a fart joke performance art. I do not.

@Vick: You realize that the premise of this thread started on street entertaining right? Walk around work?

It seems like you had some things to say about that in the past...
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Read through this post, all of these words keep coming up; Intelligence, refinement, art.

@Vick, I've seen you talk in the past about cheapening the art. As you can see from the poster above me that's clearly the direction this conversation is taking. But let me be clear, I will not modify my act to deliver slapstick or crude humor. I sell myself as a family friendly magician.

Yeah, I stick to my state. Magic is part time for me. In the morning I'll still be a global software architect.

I do walk around magic and balloons. Balloons get damaged and they go in the trash.

I'll let you have last licks because I've been on here long enough to know that there's really no point.
CRMagius
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of CRMagius
Quote:
On 2010-10-18 19:17, Perry D Winkle wrote:
I'm a poor magician now? You don't even know me. I can tell you one thing, I will walk away from someone before I deliver a fart joke.

I wasn't trying to imply that YOU are a poor magician.

On the other hand, I don't think we need to be too hard on those who can't appreciate our magic. After all, someone has to pump our gas and flip our burgers.
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
424 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
People have preferences. They like what they like, REGARDLESS OF WHAT WE LIKE. To enter anyone's world for conversation, performance, etc, must be done with empathy.

The "Puzzle" aspect is the curse of magic; we must strive to prevent the puzzle characteristic of magic distastefully fooling the participants disagreeably.

For example, Jazz musicians play for themselves and other jazz musicians because much of the polyphony is beyond the masses / commercial market's understanding because of the complex musical lines or themes as presented. Likewise, Mozart's "Musical Joke" would only be understood by those musicians who are educated in the principals of harmony in relation to classical music.

The Commercial Market must be considered by the performance artist in the goal of sales in order to make money from the masses; on the other hand, small markets exist for those performance artists that love classical, jazz, bluegrass, gypsy jazz, blues, magic, etc, etc, etc . . . .
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
realhumanmagician
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of realhumanmagician
I had a table that was a disaster... Old guy sitting with his family, I go and introduce myself and everyone smiles and the kids look excited... He didn't look at me and I went to shake his hand, and he just looked at me and said "i'm drinking my tea"... He subsequently told me to p*ss off to which I replied with my stock line "no problem, I'll be around, just give me a shout if you changed your mind, thank you"...

I then did all the tables around theirs and made sure people were having an amazing time, I saw him trying to look over - I just kept my back to him, there was no way I was going back to that table no matter how much interest he started to have. Fair enough, some people have a bad perception of magicians, but there's no excuse for being that rude... ever.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
That's the downside of any public service or performance. You will always meet people who will take whatever is bothering on them out on you.

Blowing it off and moving on was the right thing to do.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
pepita
View Profile
New user
Paris
71 Posts

Profile of pepita
As it has been said, some people have different tastes, others have been brain-washed, and sometimes too, some have just received the worst news they could get, and there's nothing you can do to make them feel like being entertained.

I remember attending a lesson about 'entertaining with balloons' by a great clown.
One of the first things he said was 'there is always a percentage of people who don't like you or your show, whatever you do; concentrate on those you like the show'.
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Quote:
On 2010-10-14 18:57, CRMagius wrote:

The most memorable so far:

- My Dad, after I PK'd a fork at a restaurant, "Wha? Wha? What are you doing!?", then shaking his head vigorously as if trying to clear the proverbial cobwebs he began repeating to himself, "It's an illusion, it's an illusion, it's an illusion!"

I loved this!

And from a different post I also wonder what the heck was going on in a spectators mind that they slapped the magician for doing the invisible deck?!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My First Rejection (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL