The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to introduce a trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

geoffa
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
57 Posts

Profile of geoffa
Something I don't see addressed anywhere is how to introduce a trick or routine. My typical audience is family, friends, and co-workers. I've heard, from several sources, that we should elevate this art to a level where we're not just doing tricks.

So the question. When I'm out to lunch with my co-workers and would like to show them something I've prepared, how do I introduce it? Do I say, "Want to see some magic?" Maybe, "Let me show you something." Saying something like, "Want to see a card trick?" doesn't seem right.

Would love to hear how others approach this.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Well, if you know the audience is receptive you can simply launch into your routine.

ex. (from a real workplace impromptu I did awhile ago.)

"I've been studying asian philosophies lately and the idea that changing our perceptions changes reality is something I find fascinating, let me show you something I discovered last night..."

at which point I went into a PK business card routine.

Don't feel defensive like you are asking them a big favor to watch you, and NEVER act apologetic about your magic. If that's true either your not ready or they are the wrong audience. You are giving them a gift and that's how you should think about it,

It can be as simpel as "Hey, wanna see something neat?"
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Yep Cyberqat rigth. Just to add a live example to it. I always have the Gyspy thred trick ready in my wallet. And if it some one wedding anivesry or somthing big. I say OK I would like to show you somthing. then I do the trick talkig about all the indivdual things you nedd as I tear up the thread. Then I say one is not more impotant you must bring them togther. then the magic happens.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Yes just what those two said. I myself prefer to actually bring out the trick or deck or string or whatever and just pretend like I'm messing around with it. once it gets the audience's attention (and trust me....magical items usually do) then I look up, act suprised that they ar looking at me and say, "Oh. Would you like to see a trick?"
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5887 Posts

Profile of motown
You could do something that may seem out of the ordinary to the people your with. For instance if your in a restaurant/bar you turn over a glass, then put a mysterious looking coin under it. A Houdini coin. You talk about Houdini's ability to escape from anything. You then Perform glass through table in the context of the story.

Rather then just saying "Want to see a trick?", build some intrigue with the magic.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
This really depends on a lot of items.

Is your performance personality different than your everyday self? Then you have to create a transition that people will want to follow. After that, the magic comes naturally, because there has been a transition into it.

Are the people used to you performing something? Then a simple statement that conveys the fact that you feel like sharing something is enough. Amongst the few friends that have come to see me as a magician,simply putting the cards on the table (I only do card magic) is enough. It allows everyone to finish their conversation, and turn their attention towards me. If they choose not to, I don't perform.

The real danger in proposing magic is that it can often come across as "I am bored with you, let me do something *I* find interesting!" If it is your first time, I suggest having a storyline that is genuinely interesting, that leads into the effect. Only introduce the props when you have true interest from the people present. Magic is not supposed to be narcissistic.

This is different from person to person, I am only offering an explanation of how I approach this tender topic.

To be more to the point, elevating the art beyond a trick really has only one approach; tell a story that is captivating, while illustrating it with magic. That speaks to a whole person, not just the intellect. Even if you are clumsy with the introduction, you will still entertain and baffle people.

You are NOT looking for an EXCUSE to do magic, but rather using magic to drive home a story or a point of interest.

Hope this helps a bit.

Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How to introduce a trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL