The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Good news for Apple, bad news for Apple users (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Apple has topped 10% of the US market

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/pc-demand-......=nl.e539

If you are an Apple user and you aren't running virus protection software, you are officially a fool.

At not just 10% of the market, but a very complacent 10% who are used to believing they are "virus proof" you have become a very viable target.

My Advice: Don't be one of those who learns that the hard way.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
10% of the market? The way those Apple users brag you'de think that they had at least 50% of the market. 10% of the market, and most of the hot air.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Tell me about it. Smile
They'll clam up if you mention design flaws though.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Y-A-W-N. Platform wars are so 20th century.
lisheng
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of lisheng
What's new....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why would ANYONE not use virus protection again?

Forget platform wars that is just dumb.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4955 Posts

Profile of landmark
If you don't think viruses are a major concern--and right now for Mac users they are not, yet--then there are lots of reasons not to use an anti-virus program. Most of them are truly annoying. They are notorious for slowing down systems and clashing with other programs. It would take an actual virus outbreak that affects Macs in the wild -- not just proof of concept--before I would put on an anti-virus program.

Maybe dumb, but I see it as don't run if you're not being chased.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Landmark
I got no warning before my hard drive crashed.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-10-14 22:27, landmark wrote:
Maybe dumb, but I see it as don't run if you're not being chased.

Really? It takes one to crash the drive. ONE. So if you are behind the curve when that one hits, where are you then?

Hey do what you want. No biggie I just would not do it. Dumb may have been out of line sorry.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
In Minnesota they have a date in the Spring time which snow mobiles are no longer allowed to ride on their lakes, and everyone follows these rules right after one poor sucker takes a plunge into a lake, you can't legislate stupidity.
jeffdell
View Profile
New user
Nashua, NH
66 Posts

Profile of jeffdell
I think I need to geek out here just a tiny bit Smile. Let me first say that Apple really makes some innovative and creative consumer products. To Cyberqats point, I'm surprised there hasn't been more of a consorted effort by people to find exploits in Mac OS. I think the two biggest reasons for this is that Apple's two biggest products are not their computers. The Ipod and the Iphone are really apple's two biggest products right now (and for the foreseeable future) and while they want you to believe all their products are selling like hot cakes, PCs with Microsoft Windows are still king of the hill in the PC market for now.

Really, Mac OS like any other piece of software has its own fair share of issues. The fact that its a BSD based kernel now does not inherently make it more secure than anything else and eventually all the kiddy hackers out there will start to try and find the exploits in the Mac OS software.

Not trying to dump on Apple here or their products, just my two cents on their products.

Jeff
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4955 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2010-10-15 09:43, Al Angello wrote:
Landmark
I got no warning before my hard drive crashed.

Al:
1) was your crash caused by a virus, or was it failing hardware?
2) If a virus, were you on a Mac platform?

Though I don't use an anti-virus program, I do regular backups. I agree that the Mac hardware quality is often only fair. And certainly with the ubiquity of the iPhones and iPads, it could well be that we will see a spate of computer viruses that are passed back and forth from those devices. That's what I think a Mac user will have to be most careful about in the near future.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My crash was because of a virus, I use a windows computer, and I was using an inadaquite anti virus program. I went to the store for some groceries, and when I got back my hard drive was blank.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
When I was a computer tech guy I ran into two Macs with virus' and couldn't help either. There were days when all I did was deal with PC virus' that actually was a file loaded not a virus.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-10-15 11:18, jeffdell wrote:
I think I need to geek out here just a tiny bit Smile. Let me first say that Apple really makes some innovative and creative consumer products.

Why do you think Microsoft forwarded them so much money when they were having troubles? Where else would they get their innovations from? Bill Gates had to keep his R&D group solvent.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ha!

There is a weird little respect between Microsoft and Apple, those guys go back a long way. Besides, they bost ripped off other companies ideas as well as each other. Let 'em do as they want as long as they are hiring folks in the US. Cute lil' companies.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2055 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I've used Mac's now for 10 years and to date no viruses. I won't open emails from unknown sources and I tend to be picky on web sites I go to. I have found Mac's to be reliable and fairly simple to use.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I think us Mac users brag because of the quality of the product. Yeah, I paid $2200 for my computer, and it has yet to fail me once. I edit video on it for hours on end, watch TV on it, it is NEVER slow, and it works. I had more crummy PC's than I care to think of, and I will never buy one again. I simply have found them to be not nearly as reliable. I'm sure people have owned Macs that crashed. I'm sure people have owned PC's that work perfectly...but having gone through at least five PC's before buying a Mac that has lasted longer and run faster than any of them, I'll never look back. I would spend that $2200 again in a heart beat.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-10-16 12:16, Andrewzuber wrote:

I think us Mac users brag because of the quality of the product. Yeah, I paid $2200 for my computer, and it has yet to fail me once. I edit video on it for hours on end, watch TV on it, it is NEVER slow, and it works. I had more crummy PC's than I care to think of, and I will never buy one again.

How much did each of those crummy PCs cost? Did any one of those cost as much as the $2200 Mac? What I mean is, if you are comparing a low end, say, $600 PC to a Mac, it's not a fair comparison. You get what you pay for, to some degree.

A friend of mine purchased the highest end Mac laptop (I don't know what it is formally called) a few years back and it gave him nothing but trouble. To be fair, most other people I know with Macs seem to like them.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Twenty five years ago, it would take well over a million bucks worth of editing equipment to accomplish what a single iMac with Final Cut Studio can do today.
I have 2 PCs and 2 Macs, dedicated to video and graphics (they don't go online).
Over time, I have come to despise them all equally for different reasons. Each one does something really well but no single one does everything well.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Good news for Apple, bad news for Apple users (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL