The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Good news for Apple, bad news for Apple users (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4954 Posts

Profile of landmark
^^Sounds right to me.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2010-10-16 13:20, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-16 12:16, Andrewzuber wrote:

I think us Mac users brag because of the quality of the product. Yeah, I paid $2200 for my computer, and it has yet to fail me once. I edit video on it for hours on end, watch TV on it, it is NEVER slow, and it works. I had more crummy PC's than I care to think of, and I will never buy one again.

How much did each of those crummy PCs cost? Did any one of those cost as much as the $2200 Mac? What I mean is, if you are comparing a low end, say, $600 PC to a Mac, it's not a fair comparison. You get what you pay for, to some degree.

A friend of mine purchased the highest end Mac laptop (I don't know what it is formally called) a few years back and it gave him nothing but trouble. To be fair, most other people I know with Macs seem to like them.

The company I used to work for *sob* went from dedicated typesetters to PowerMacs. We had six of them in the office. Five worked with no problems, one guy had nothing but problems with his. We never did figure out why, it just stopped after a while.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I paid $1100 for an HP laptop that was slow as could be. I tried everything...increasing memory, defragging the hard drive, putting files on an external hard drive to free up space...and the thing would just crawl along. Yes, I paid twice as much for an iMac, but I could have gotten something nicer in the Apple brand. I could have certainly paid a lot less for that laptop as well, but I wanted something I thought would be decent, yet after all that maintenance it still wasn't worth it to me. The Mac, on the other hand, has been entirely maintenance free. It updates itself when needed and operates quickly without my needing to run any kind of program to keep it that way. It just works better.

My one gripe with Apple is that you are limited in some ways with what you can run on it, because so many programs are made for PCs. That said, I have what I need on here, and I run Final Cut Studio all day long without issues. Again, I know Mac computers fail. I know PC's fail, as mine did. Just my personal experience.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2010-10-16 14:16, jazzy snazzy wrote:
Twenty five years ago, it would take well over a million bucks worth of editing equipment to accomplish what a single iMac with Final Cut Studio can do today.

To be fair, Adobe Premiere does it all too and predates Final Cut.

I have an Imac and love it. I'm also Virus protected and it gives me zero trouble.

I occasionally need to use a Windows program. Rhapsody, for example. My solution to having one machine that does everything I need is to run Win 7 in Parallels COherence mode.

A bit expensive in memory but otherwise a quite adequate solution.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4954 Posts

Profile of landmark
What anti-virus program do you use? I know that, at least a while back, Mac owners were complaining that Norton was screwing up their computers.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Intego Virus Barrier X6

Recommended by my local Mac store and significantly cheaper then Norton.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-10-16 14:16, jazzy snazzy wrote:

Twenty five years ago, it would take well over a million bucks worth of editing equipment to accomplish what a single iMac with Final Cut Studio can do today.

Yes, but I imagine that something similar is probably true for most if not any computer platform.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-10-16 15:56, Andrewzuber wrote:

I paid $1100 for an HP laptop that was slow as could be. I tried everything...increasing memory, defragging the hard drive, putting files on an external hard drive to free up space...and the thing would just crawl along. Yes, I paid twice as much for an iMac, but I could have gotten something nicer in the Apple brand. I could have certainly paid a lot less for that laptop as well, but I wanted something I thought would be decent, yet after all that maintenance it still wasn't worth it to me. The Mac, on the other hand, has been entirely maintenance free. It updates itself when needed and operates quickly without my needing to run any kind of program to keep it that way. It just works better.

All I can add, is that my experience with (near) top of the line Dell and NEC (are they even around anymore) computers sounds much like your Mac experiences. No problems whatsoever. I think if you are willing to spend the bucks, any platform works. If you go for the bargain platforms, you get what you pay for.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Good news for Apple, bad news for Apple users (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL