The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first real performance - AUDITION – Post-mortem (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WV
View Profile
Loyal user
South Africa, Durban
293 Posts

Profile of WV
My heart was racing and I could feel the adrenaline pumping through my veins. I embraced this feeling and took the front as I opened with RED HOT MAMA.

As luck would have it, I messed up with the first phase of the trick. They already saw the red card, so I did something with out even thinking about it. I showed an incorrect card. "I think I messed this one up" I said. One of the ladies on the committee who happens to work with me probably felt sorry for me and said the first spectator did not touch the deck hard enough (I had the spectator do a "magic touch" in order to "reveal" the card, i.e. turn it red). I showed the red card, but it obviously wasn't the chosen card, but I showed them the incorrect card and left it on the table. I was still set up for the second phase. I shuffled until they called stop (well I stopped)and showed them the chosen card. I turned to my colleague and had her touch it. "I'll touch it harder" she said (This really rescued me, because it made it seems as though I intended for It to happen that way). One of the other spectators said something along the lines of "Oh! So you just pretended to mess up". I was not going to tell them otherwise.

I moved on to perform THAT'S IT (also a "magician in trouble" trick that added nicely to my "mess-up") and a SPONGE BALL ROUTINE flawlessly. The spectators really enjoyed themselves.

I ended with the SPONGE BALL ROUTINE and left the room. My colleague told me at first after witnessing my "mess-up", they weren't too impressed, but after I did the last 2 tricks they very impressed. I'm assuming the second phase of the first trick also impressed them, because the one guy was saying "But that red card was the 3 of Hearts and now it's the Queen of Spades".

After I left the room they were still talking about me and trying to figure out how I did it. I asked my colleague if they could see how I did nay of the tricks and she said that they couldn't.

So it is all systems go for 27 November for "My First Real Performance"!

Click here to read the original thread.
Vernesto

"I'm not perfect, just forgiven!"

"I'm finding everything I'll ever need, by giving up gaining everything."
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Great!

And that's a very valuable lesson. There is ALWAYS an out. At worst, you treat it as a humor piece even if it wasn't intended to be.

A magician should always have an attitude of a cat, "I *meant* to do that!"

The other lesson is a general performer';s one and it sounds like you already know it.

EVERY performer is nervous before they go on stage. that's the nature of the beast. Seasoned performers just know hot to take that nervous energy and turn it into performance energy on stage!
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I always open with a trick that I know like the back of my hand.
Less chance for goofing up right off, and it builds my confidence and sets the tone for everything else.

I am sure your "real" performance in November will be great.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
CRMagius
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of CRMagius
Quote:
On 2010-10-15 09:24, Cyberqat wrote:

And that's a very valuable lesson. There is ALWAYS an out. At worst, you treat it as a humor piece even if it wasn't intended to be.

A magician should always have an attitude of a cat, "I *meant* to do that!"

Yep, I learned that one on my first time also - flashed horrendously and then compounded the error by blurting, "Oh, I messed it up already!"

The kicker is, they didn't even see the flash, so at the end of that trick the reaction was, "That was really cool, but... what was SUPPOSED to happen?" (Argh!)

Now I know when to just keep it shut. Smile (And I carry a rough and smooth for the occasional "emergency")
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Sometimes "I meant to do that" can be comedy as well, if you have a sharp audience. One of my favorite borrowed deck effects involves my "guessing wrong" twice. Each time my "success" face changes to surprise, then to recovery "I knew that" or "You're right! It's not!" with just enough brash uncertainty to get a laugh.

But you have to make up for it with the climax. Their card shows up reversed in the deck, then disappears completely, then shows up in my wallet.

(And I wouldn't open with it. As professorwhut indicated, you need to establish your competence right out of the gate.)

Sounds like you did great. Good luck in November!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
A lot of times (unless they are magicians) the audience doesn't really know what
your attempting to do. They are just looking for the magic. So the accidental
appearance of the red card could of impromptly been a gag. I think you will pick
up on this as you gain more experience...

Good Luck...and flight time is key...perform as much as possible.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » My first real performance - AUDITION – Post-mortem (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL