The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Head Twister at Costco (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I don't see it as exposure. Selling magic to those interested in magic is not exposure.

My problem is: I'm trying to sell a four hundred dollar head twister now.
Asking two hundred but that's still way more than the cardboard one. LOL

But here is a very serious thought:

The Childs dream is to one day move up in magic (and life) enough to own a Zig Zag.

If you start putting cardboard Zig Zags and other large illusions in kits, what happens to that dream?

Tom
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
This post seems to go on forever ..

Anyway, I just did a family party the other day and after the show they pulled out this very set of Fantasmo Magic. They brought to my attention that the set has a smaller set of Linking Rings like I just performed .. but, "They have a crack in the side."

Good thing I was using a different method of course ...

Steve

P.S. It just goes to show you that if you perform an effect well .. the secret will be intact.
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
But surely people forget about the exposure the Masked Magician did on TV? I am not for exposure, don't get me wrong but people do forget. Therefore I think it is quite hasty to sell a Head Twister just because it has been in a set. What are the odds of performing it to a some child who also bought the set? I am sure it is pretty slim Smile
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I'm not selling it because it's in a kit. I'm just selling it. Smile

This thread reminded me I had one packed away that I never use.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie......ESELX:IT

Anyway, now they have a choice. Cardboard or wood.

Tom
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Ah ok. Misunderstood. My aplogies.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
No problem.

My point with the first post was, it could make it hard on those selling the better items. Because unless you get the opportunity to explain the difference, most never know. They assume that all work the same and think, why own a wood copy of a cheap trick.

Thanks
Tom
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1480 Posts

Oh.. I see I missed an O. Tut tut!
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
==>"Quality today in most any merchandise is lacking. Everywhere. $27 Electric Can openers work for two weeks to a month, and quit working. Cars are recalled by the thousands. We even have food recalled now, due to glass shards, etc."

the general quality of manufactured goods is vastly better today than ever before. cars? when exactly were they better? and food is perhaps the worst example you could have offered.

b.f.d; a mediocre 'illusion' is exposed to a few costco dolts who didn't somehow figure out that people's necks were not in fact being rotated 360 degrees. the outrage is as self-impostant as writing sh*** when talking about the billiard balls that are in every kit at target and wal-mart
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
My interest in Magic was sparked my Mark Wilson and pre packaged magic kits.
Have we forgot that Steinmeyer released the Wakeling book to the general public a few years ago, but that's ok, he's part of the magic elite.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"If a Head Twister can't be included in a magic set then that means a thumb tip can't, a Svengali deck can't a pen thru bill can't etc as they are still used by professionals too!"

not quite. though I don't share their outrage, those opposed to the head twister's inclusion are taking that position because they have paid a lot for it, and its inclusion in the Costco kit in an inferior, cheap form threatens to nullify the value of their investment, without there being any countervailing benefit from the proliferation. a thumb tip is distinguishible on numerous grounds. foremost, it is far less expensive. additionally, there is a long history of thumb tips being included in magic kits, and a corresponding history of magicians working around that. thus much as innovative performers have given the thumb tip continued vitality, those who do the head twister can (and have) done the same. perhaps it requires buying two and merging it with other illusion principles, for instance. if so, then the low Costco price might ironically be the source of both the head twister's demise and its revival. in any event, the premise isn't that anything that's merely "still used" should be excluded from all kits; their point is a bit more nuanced than that.

the indignation about the head twister is dumb; just not as dumb as you suggest.
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
Many years ago, right after the masked magician exposed the sword basket, I had a client that had to use our "Modern Sword Basket" for a show that weekend. The quote some in the audience was, "I saw that on TV, but I don't know how YOU do it.
Remember, we as magicians make the magic, we all started buying magic kits, and some of the effects in those kits are of course still performed by magi today.
If you buy the kit, you buy the secret. I personally have to say that I wish I had the quality of kit that Criss Angel has out, when I was a kid.
majik_1
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of majik_1
Is the head twister still for sale at costco? I can't find it on there web site.
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"Is the head twister still for sale at costco? I can't find it on there web site."

I had the same thought, and came up empty, too. I'm thinking of finding a kid who bought it, and confiscating the head twister, along with anything else I might own or perform.

apparently the new marshall brodien kit uses an elmsley count and a bunch of roy walton moves, and it comes with a cardboard floating table, which some are calling a losander rip-off.
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1378 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
I am waiting patiently for the "Head Chopper/salad shooter" combo from Walmart that can work in your kitchen between gigs. Smile
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
Pretty sure there are already several threads on the WalMart Head Chopper/salad shooter; please do a search in the future, especially when it's a topic that's clearly come up already
R.E. Byrnes
View Profile
Inner circle
1206 Posts

Profile of R.E. Byrnes
"I just did a family party the other day and after the show they pulled out this very set of Fantasmo Magic. They brought to my attention that the set has a smaller set of Linking Rings like I just performed .. but, "They have a crack in the side." Good thing I was using a different method of course ...
P.S. It just goes to show you that if you perform an effect well .. the secret will be intact.""

they believed that their linking rings had a space in them and that yours did not -- without your proving that yours were different? definitely suggests a great performance.
magic patagonia
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of magic patagonia
Quote:
On 2010-10-16 11:44, Servante wrote:
Omigod. Sneaky Pete! Yes! How much fun was THAT?

This is the Cut the Lady effect from the beautiful Sneaky Pete's set:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cormatches?f......stIQhGi8
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
Patagonia,
I enjoyed seeing that, I never have before, only heard about the effect.

Thanks for taking the time to make the video and sharing it with us!

--Vinny
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Ah, memories! Mine had yellow pantaloons, I think. Other than that, same deal.

-Philip
rsylvester
View Profile
Loyal user
Trying to learn to BP a duck in
269 Posts

Profile of rsylvester
I still have the linking rings I got in a magic set when I was 8, 44 years ago. It was a few years before I really knew how to do them correctly and still like to break them out every once in a while.

Neal! I saw your paper bag version of the head twister on YouTube and it was hilarious. Great performance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Head Twister at Costco (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL