The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg and Oriley » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Perhaps it should be noted that even O'Reilly quickly modified his statement, to make it clear that it was only Muslim extremists who acted on 9/11.

http://lybio.net/whoopi-and-joy-fight-wi....../people/

[Bill O'Reilly]
If anybody felt I was demeaning all Muslims, I apologize!
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:07, balducci wrote:
Perhaps it should be noted that even O'Reilly quickly modified his statement, to make it clear that it was only Muslim extremists who acted on 9/11.

http://lybio.net/whoopi-and-joy-fight-wi....../people/

[Bill O'Reilly]
If anybody felt I was demeaning all Muslims, I apologize!


It was a nice clarification for the benefit of idiots and political opportunists, but the initial statement was not ambiguous.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Of course it was extremist. The one thing I keyed in on that he said wrong and those dumb arse women accepted was that they wanted to build a mosque two down the road from where the WTC stood. It is an Islamic community center not specifically a mosque. It is bad enough they walked out but the fact they did so being ignorant of what was being said says a lot....I think it was staged between the two walkers.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Balducci, seriously...yes or no...if the Koran-burning had gone off, and someone had said, "Christians burned Korans down in Florida today," would you say with a straight face that statement demeaned all Christians?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:10, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:07, balducci wrote:
Perhaps it should be noted that even O'Reilly quickly modified his statement, to make it clear that it was only Muslim extremists who acted on 9/11.

http://lybio.net/whoopi-and-joy-fight-wi....../people/

[Bill O'Reilly]
If anybody felt I was demeaning all Muslims, I apologize!


It was a nice clarification for the benefit of idiots and political opportunists, but the initial statement was not ambiguous.

Would you mind quoting verbatim exactly which initial statement you are talking about?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Or to put it another way, they could have pinned him down and gotten him to admit that they were extremists; instead, they acted like the fact that they were extremists somehow falsifies the statement that they were Muslims.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:14, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Balducci, seriously...yes or no...if the Koran-burning had gone off, and someone had said, "Christians burned Korans down in Florida today," would you say with a straight face that statement demeaned all Christians?

I think you are making exactly my point. One shouldn't tar all Christians for the actions of a few extremists, just as one shouldn't tar all Muslims for what their extremists do.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:17, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:10, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:07, balducci wrote:
Perhaps it should be noted that even O'Reilly quickly modified his statement, to make it clear that it was only Muslim extremists who acted on 9/11.

http://lybio.net/whoopi-and-joy-fight-wi....../people/

[Bill O'Reilly]
If anybody felt I was demeaning all Muslims, I apologize!


It was a nice clarification for the benefit of idiots and political opportunists, but the initial statement was not ambiguous.

Would you mind quoting verbatim exactly which initial statement you are talking about?


I haven't played the video; the statement I was referring to is one I've seen in quotation marks in multiple sources: "Muslims killed us on 9/11." I'm assuming it's verbatim.

I mean, I guess we could have a linguistic pseudo-argument about "us," which is first person, and obviously O'Reilly isn't dead, but the semantic content of that statement is, "The people who carried out the 9/11 attacks were Muslims."
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:21, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:14, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Balducci, seriously...yes or no...if the Koran-burning had gone off, and someone had said, "Christians burned Korans down in Florida today," would you say with a straight face that statement demeaned all Christians?

I think you are making exactly my point. One shouldn't tar all Christians for the actions of a few extremists, just as one shouldn't tar all Muslims for what their extremists do.


Sorry, was that a yes, or a no?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:21, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:14, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Balducci, seriously...yes or no...if the Koran-burning had gone off, and someone had said, "Christians burned Korans down in Florida today," would you say with a straight face that statement demeaned all Christians?

I think you are making exactly my point. One shouldn't tar all Christians for the actions of a few extremists, just as one shouldn't tar all Muslims for what their extremists do.


I'm not making your point (at least intentionally). The point I'm attempting to make is that the statement "Christians burned Korans down in Florida today" DOESN'T tar (or demean) "all Christians." It's a sentence that on its face only refers to those Christians who were burning Korans in Florida. Moreover, it doesn't inherently "demean" even THOSE Christians; it's a descriptive statement of fact.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:24, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:21, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:14, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Balducci, seriously...yes or no...if the Koran-burning had gone off, and someone had said, "Christians burned Korans down in Florida today," would you say with a straight face that statement demeaned all Christians?

I think you are making exactly my point. One shouldn't tar all Christians for the actions of a few extremists, just as one shouldn't tar all Muslims for what their extremists do.


Sorry, was that a yes, or a no?

To be honest, your question was phrased ambiguously enough that I did not want to give a simple yes or no. Yes, the phrase you used would demean all Christians. Would it have legitimate reason to do so, No.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Ok, I'm honestly surprised, but I respect that answer. Apparently there's more room on that for reasonable disagreement than I had perceived.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:27, LobowolfXXX wrote:

I'm not making your point (at least intentionally). The point I'm attempting to make is that the statement "Christians burned Korans down in Florida today" DOESN'T tar (or demean) "all Christians." It's a sentence that on its face only refers to those Christians who were burning Korans in Florida. Moreover, it doesn't inherently "demean" even THOSE Christians; it's a descriptive statement of fact.

Yeah, but the other part of O'Reilly's comment WAS demeaning / dismissive to all Muslims. Yes, only a few Muslims were responsible for 9/11. But, as a result, he is essentially saying that all of them should be punished and not be allowed a Mosque anywhere near the new WTC site.

I'm not saying it is the exact same thing, but it somewhat analogous to saying that "Christians burned Korans down in Florida today" means Christians have lost the right to have churches in that area of Florida.

Well, I'm off to sleepy sleepy land. G'night.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:33, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Ok, I'm honestly surprised, but I respect that answer. Apparently there's more room on that for reasonable disagreement than I had perceived.

It's possible that I misunderstand the emphasis you placed on certain words. The way it read to me, it seemed your question was ambiguous. In print, it is sometimes difficult to determine exactly what someone means. As we all know.

G'night^2
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:10, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:07, balducci wrote:
Perhaps it should be noted that even O'Reilly quickly modified his statement, to make it clear that it was only Muslim extremists who acted on 9/11.

http://lybio.net/whoopi-and-joy-fight-wi....../people/

[Bill O'Reilly]
If anybody felt I was demeaning all Muslims, I apologize!


It was a nice clarification for the benefit of idiots and political opportunists, but the initial statement was not ambiguous.

Exactly, not ambiguous. One indeed would have to be an idiot not to understand Bill's meaning. The pilots all were Muslims, therefore Muslims should not build the mosque (though they have the right to . . . Thanks, Bill.) Wonderful logic. I wonder if any men's rooms will be allowed since they were all men--but I don't worry because I know Bill will defend my right to have a men's room, it's just that it would be so insensitive to the families of those who died.

Of course, he could mention that it might be even more insensitive to 9/11 families to keep propping up the Saudi government, but that might be messing with Mr. Murdoch's friends.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
It would be pretty cool to let the peaceful people of Saudi Arabia have full access to the royal family, you know, to express their peacefulness.

Let 'em build the *** thing, it's America and if they get the permits they can build what they want.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2304 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
To get back OFF the subject again…

Quote:
On 2010-10-16 19:15, MagicSanta wrote:
Do you have a website? I want to see if you are another of the number one magicians in New Jersey.

Of course I have a web site. All you have to do is click on my profile.

While I don’t agree with marketing yourself as the #1 magician in New Jersey (and quite frankly it bothers me too) I do use the line given to me by my mentor, “New Jersey’s Ambassador of Magic for over 30 years.” Does that rise to the level of an arrogant Northeasterner?

To get back ON the subject…

Quote:
One shouldn't tar all Christians for the actions of a few extremists, just as one shouldn't tar all Muslims for what their extremists do.

I couldn’t agree more. And following that logic, peace loving Muslims should not be prevented from building a mosque based on the actions of extremist in their religion.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20613 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-10-16 18:41, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-16 17:04, Ken Northridge wrote:

You have to give credit to the weasel for voluntarily sitting in the middle of the cats. And when the ruckus got heated, who couldn't take it?


No I won't give him anything! His agenda was the same as theirs: Look at ME! Look at ME! .....


Self promotion, again sir DEAD ON!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Certainly O'Reilly didn't need The View to promote himself. Anyone with half a brain knows that it was Muslims who attacked on 9/11. Not ALL Muslims. It seems like there's a lot of word mincing about stuff we all already know. Sure, Christians have killed abortion doctors. Not ALL Christians.

While I don't think it was preplanned, I think the walkoff smacked of "He doth protest too much". Are the sensibilities of these women who appear on TV every day really that fragile? I doubt it.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
It was a publicity stunt, both O'Rielly, and The View appealed to their base, it was win win situation. People on both sides of this issue were taken for a ride.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg and Oriley » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL