The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg and Oriley » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Now, you see, that's what's fun about these little debates. I totally disagree. My view ( no pun intended ) is that Bill O'reilly didn't need to appear on The View at all. His ratings are sky-high. He doesn't need cheap stunts to remain popular.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Nick
He did not enter the lions den just to pet the little kitties. Everybody saw this coming, and America (both right, and left) took the bait.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
O'Reilly was on THE VIEW for one reason and one reason only TO SELL COPIES OF HIS BOOK.

The "walk off" was proof that the liberal ladies didn't have any case and just figured to bail out.

IMHO the planet would be far better off if Religion had never been invented.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Loved his comments about how he hasn't been bothered by the recession, as fox is doing well... I don't see it as they walked off because they couldn't handle it, they were disgusted by his lizard like appearance. It was nice what Barbara said.

If 70% of America didn't want the mosque built, I feel sorry to be American.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!



"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
I may be inclined to underestand the Muslim religion a little more when I see that they have a fund raiser to help the victims of a hurricane or flood or earthquate etc, or feed the hungry of the world or some other tragedy that has befallen on the human race of this planet. However I have not seen any. I may have missed them, which is possible. I have heard that Muslims do say "kill the infidels" and I believe that infidels are defined as anyone that is not a Muslim, again I may be wrong. Also I have read that in the Koran it says to (paraphrasing this) blend in and show that you agree with the infidel until you have a chance to destroy them.

Perhaps I am nitpicking but when someone says that if I am not of their religion and beliefs I should be destroyed, and in so doing that I (the Muslim) lose my life in destsroying the infidel I shall be rewarded I sort of feel somewhat intimitated by that person and their beliefs. Again this may be nitpicking on my part. You can decide for yourself.

Has anyone been to a spagetti dinner to help the victims of anything sponsored by a Muslim group? Where did you get the tickets?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2304 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Seeing how ones view point (O'Reilly's in this case) cannot be tolerated maybe they should change the name of the progam to "Our View, Not Yours."
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Without getting into what's already been discussed about the Mosque, I'm proud to be an American and one of the 70%.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Pete is right. His appearance on the View has sold a lot of books for O'Reilly.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 12:43, kcg5 wrote:
. Loved his comments about how he hasn't been bothered by the recession, as fox is doing well... I don't see it as they walked off because they couldn't handle it, they were disgusted by his lizard like appearance. It was nice what Barbara said.

If 70% of America didn't want the mosque built, I feel sorry to be American.


I am also sorry you are an American.

Count me in the 70%.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ken, if you are an embassador for New Jersey does that mean you go to other states and represent New Jerseys magicical interests? That is too cool!

I do not dislike the North East, I think Rhode Island, Vermont, Mass, New Hampshire, and Maine are great...sure they should be combined into one state, but it is a nice area. If not for Winter I'd move there. I also like Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, all points South, Tennessee then cutting down to a line that runs across the top of Oklahoma then back up, and circumventing Utah, up to the Canadian border. The rest of the country I have zippo interest in visiting or anything else. I'd make it a giant state and call it "Other"
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
You could call it poor homework by The View. O'Reilly's stated purpose for going on the show was to promote the book. He had an opposing point of view. WOW what a surprise!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You mean he didn't go on just to say 'hi' to the ladies?

I like you Nicholas D.....you be a thinker.
Bill Hilly
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Bill Hilly
There are several posts and posters here who I think are correct. But Pete and Al hit the target.

O'Reilly is on a book tour. Take notice whenever ANYONE is one of these shows. It's ALWAYS a promotional tour and they're on several shows.

And, the fall sweeps (rating period) starts next week. The view is getting a new competitor this fall (CBS is starting a very similar show called "The Talk") and by getting people to blog, argue, Google, and YouTube (did I just coin a new verb?) the incident, they're generating buzz. We all try to do the same thing - marketing, right?

When do the most exciting episodes happen on TV shows? Keep an eye on 2/3/11 to 3/2/11, 4/28/11 to 5/25/11, 6/30/11 to 7/27/11 and 10/27/11 to 11/23/11.

Hey TV exposes our tricks, let's expose theirs.

Beano
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ah well....it is all in fun anyway.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I'm glad that got cleared up. So they WERE muslims. We're just not allowed to call them that. And Whoopie went on to correct Bill O by calling them extremists which I personally found very offensive. How could she go and lump all extremists into the group that flew a plane in the World Trade Center??? Very non-PC of her. After all, I keep hearing the news reports call every other conservative politician an extremist and to suggest that they are of the same group that killed people on 9/11 is very offensive.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 15:44, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 12:43, kcg5 wrote:
Billo is pretty much an idiot. Loved his comments about how he hasn't been bothered by the recession, as fox is doing well... I don't see it as they walked off because they couldn't handle it, they were disgusted by his lizard like appearance. It was nice what Barbara said.

If 70% of America didn't want the mosque built, I feel sorry to be American.


I am also sorry you are an American.

Count me in the 70%.


It's probably not often you two agree on something. Isn't it nice that we can find common ground?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 22:07, rockwall wrote:
Whoopie went on to correct Bill O by calling them extremists which I personally found very offensive. How could she go and lump all extremists into the group that flew a plane in the World Trade Center???

!! Heh
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:47, landmark wrote:
Exactly, not ambiguous. One indeed would have to be an idiot not to understand Bill's meaning. The pilots all were Muslims, therefore Muslims should not build the mosque (though they have the right to . . . Thanks, Bill.) Wonderful logic.


Landmark -

I'm drawing on my recollection of an old thread, so I apologize in advance if I'm misremembering; I'm not trying to misstate your position.

As I recall, you have in the past here supported race-based affirmative action in the context of college admissions. And in those discussions, you've gone back well over 100 years to point to slavery in the USA as being relevant to that position. That is to say, some white people shouldn't get into certain schools because certain other white people did something bad.

Of course, there are many differences between the two situations. I readily admit it's not a perfect analogy. One difference is, the people like O'Reilly who think that the mosque "shouldn't" be built offer only a moral perspective on a choice that those who would build the mosque are free to accept or ignore (consideration for the feelings of those who might be offended or hurt...curiously enough, a traditionally liberal hallmark), while the affirmative action position favors legally prohibiting people from college admissions based entirely on their race, and based on the actions of others, i.e. a better analogy to the affirmative action position would be if the mosque were not permitted.

We don't "tolerate" things we agree with; we're on board with them already. The very height of tolerance is the position espoused by O'Reilly - publicly defending the right of others to engage in behavior he personally and strongly disagrees with.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Is it possible to be a Muslim and an 'Islamaphobe' at the same time?
wsj
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 22:32, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-10-17 01:47, landmark wrote:
Exactly, not ambiguous. One indeed would have to be an idiot not to understand Bill's meaning. The pilots all were Muslims, therefore Muslims should not build the mosque (though they have the right to . . . Thanks, Bill.) Wonderful logic.


Landmark -

I'm drawing on my recollection of an old thread, so I apologize in advance if I'm misremembering; I'm not trying to misstate your position.

As I recall, you have in the past here supported race-based affirmative action in the context of college admissions. And in those discussions, you've gone back well over 100 years to point to slavery in the USA as being relevant to that position. That is to say, some white people shouldn't get into certain schools because certain other white people did something bad.

Of course, there are many differences between the two situations. I readily admit it's not a perfect analogy. One difference is, the people like O'Reilly who think that the mosque "shouldn't" be built offer only a moral perspective on a choice that those who would build the mosque are free to accept or ignore (consideration for the feelings of those who might be offended or hurt...curiously enough, a traditionally liberal hallmark), while the affirmative action position favors legally prohibiting people from college admissions based entirely on their race, and based on the actions of others, i.e. a better analogy to the affirmative action position would be if the mosque were not permitted.

We don't "tolerate" things we agree with; we're on board with them already. The very height of tolerance is the position espoused by O'Reilly - publicly defending the right of others to engage in behavior he personally and strongly disagrees with.


My position about affirmative action was (and is) this: affirmative action always existed, it was and for the most part still is, affirmative action for whites. It's just that somehow conservatives don't make a big deal out of it when the prevailing policies benefit whites in the main. And I was pointing to a continuous pattern of discrimination against non-whites over the last 200 years--not just an isolated instance of slavery 200 years ago. I don't think I need to go through the history of Jim Crow in the US.

As for O'Reilly, I guess I could give him points for tolerance in the same way that I could give points for someone who hates Jews, and thinks personally that they should not mingle with the rest of society, and that it would be insensitive of them to do so, BUT recognizes their constitutional right to do so. Tolerant perhaps, but still a racist. Nothing to cheer about.

If it takes these kinds of baby steps before Bill can understand the principles of respect for others, then so be it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Joy Behar and Whoopi Goldberg and Oriley » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL