We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Ideas for Fireman's Convention (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

incredibrent
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of incredibrent
Hi,
I am going to be doing a 1 hour show for a fireman's convention in December and I was looking for some helpful ideas. This will be my first corporate magic show so I know I am going to have to put a lot of time and thought in so I don't disappoint.

I am looking to purchase some new tricks as well and wanted to know what you think would be good for about 50 firemen and their spouses. I don't do big illusions, just tricks that I can have fun with and get some good laughs. I know I will do multiplying bottles, some form of mental epic style mind reading and probably the good old vanishing bandana for sure, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I would be better off posting this on a different board please let me know, but this one seemed like the best option.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Congrats on the gig!
I suggest doing stuff you are already familiar with and adapt it slightly if appropriate. Trying to re-invent yourself in short order and buying new props for this show is risky. Better to stick with experienced material.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9973 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Is this Deja Vu or have I read this thread already?
incredibrent
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of incredibrent
Thanks Scott. I do agree with you, but I also think I could use at least one new trick. I have time to play around with it, and if it doesn't work out than I just won't use it.

And I think its just Deja Vu. I have not posted this before Mindpro.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
This one is a no brainer
I have done banquets at firehouses, and firemen love tricks that use FIRE.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
I know firemen and even though you are calling it a corporate show - firemen are not a typical corporate audience.

SCOTT was very right about buying new material is risky.
If you were to add new material (making them your magical lab rats) make sure you sneak it in between pieces that are strong - so if the new stuff fails, it will soon be forgotten.

You can get miles out of napkin rose for one lucky wife that assisted you in a routine.

Any smash and stab type of effect builds dynamic tension - and plays out long.

Also be ready to drop any Adult only effects - firemen usually are family people(or lonley people) and there verywell maybe a few that could not find a sitter.
If you can have a routine in your case that can make a couple of small children look like heros - you will touch the hearts of everyone there and be a hero yourself.

Also, before you buy - look at the payoff. Are you spending more than you are making? Sounds silly but I have met a lot of divorsed magicians that never understood what a bottom line is and the word profit was not even a concept.

Break a leg and have fun - if you do, they WILL!
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Also - even though firemen like fire - banquet halls usually don't. Be smart and don't. It is not worth it.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Make a square circle from a fire extinguisher and produce a rabbit.

Do the cut and restores Fire Hose.

Keep asking if the show is "up to code" Or do you "have a permit for that?" When a helper does something out of the ordinary.

Go on their website and read about their codes - At the show look around for the placement of their own fire extinguisher and make fun of it if it's not in the right location.

- - -

I did a show for a fire company and couldn't even plug-in my sound system because they has 24 sockets coming out of one 15 amp receptacle (using 8 splitters). I asked "Is that to code?" and the answer was "NO. But who's going to give us a ticket?"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Signor Blitz
I was hired to do a banquet at a fire house, and a young fireman help me to unload my car. When I opened my trunk he instantly spotted my juggling torches, and asked me "what do you do with them" I said that for OUTDOOR PARTIES I do a flaming torch juggling finish, but I only do them for OUTDOOR PARTIES. As soon as we dropped my stuff off all of the firemen got into a big huddle, a few minutes later about six of them came over to tell me that they insist that I do my flaming torch finish for them, and that they were well prepared to deal with any accidents that might happen. That night I did my flaming torch juggling finish to a standing ovation.

Brent
By all means clear this with the fire chief, but don't be surprised if his answer is burn baby burn.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Light fire in the Dove Pan as if fire is out of control in a kitchen frying pan. Explain covering it up is a good method to put out the fire. When you take off the top give them candy.
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
Al!

I can see where those torches were GOLD at the firehouse! And what better place to do fire magic - even if you burnt the place down - talk about the publicity! lol

Firemen are a very special breed - I am glad that we have those types of folks around!

It is the banque facilities that get (rightfully) worried about open flames - it is a whole new world - and it seems to be getting tougher to add that little bit of flash paper to jazz things up.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1589 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Quote:
On 2010-10-21 15:15, Dynamike wrote:
Light fire in the Dove Pan as if fire is out of control in a kitchen frying pan. Explain covering it up is a good method to put out the fire. When you take off the top give them candy.

Yeah, that will go over a treat for 50 firemen and their spouses.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Ideas for Fireman's Convention (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL