The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » How to fan a Svengali deck (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
Does anybody know how to fan a Svengali deck?
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Umm carefully? Why would you want to?
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
If I could fan it I feel like it could be one more subtle proof either that magic has taken place or that it is a normal deck. Fanning seems more natural than a riffle to me.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
You might consider using a Popeyed Popper deck or a Mirage deck. These could be fanned with care, or ribbon spread on the table.

Woland
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
497 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Then you'd probably want a Pop-Eyed-Popper deck instead of a Sven. The Sven is built for riffle. The Pop-Eyed-Popper is built for fanning.

Bill
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
You could R&S a DD where one was a OWFD.

That woud give you a fannable equivalent of a Sven with a full deck of cards. Without the DD you could do it with a half-deck.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
Mirage is what you need. I perform a great Andy Nyman effect where you actually give the mirage deck to the spectator and have them spread through the deck to make sure it is "shuffled."
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
So, I assume the mirage deck is a mix of the pop-eye-popper and Svengali can it be fanned to only show the key card?
Bietfriek
View Profile
Special user
Bye, bye after
502 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
It doesn't show the f***e card....
Why would you show all the cards? It will ruin the functionality of the deck.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Riffle the cards as you fan.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Mowee
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of Mowee
Or just do a deck switch.
PostalElf
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of PostalElf
You could do a dribble spread on the table even if you can't actually fan it though. Still, it may not be a good idea to actually do any kind of spread, fan or otherwise, because if you did that and then went on to an alternative card selection method, the spectator may be left wondering, "Why didn't he just get me to select a card when he had it all fanned out?"

I personally find the Svengali dribble (where you show the whole faces of the cards) to be sufficient.
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
I've fanned a sven...it's all attitude. Fan it face down and start to bring the fan face up as you tell them that you're going to have them pick a card. Keep the deck low, around waist level.

As the deck turns face up ,look at the spec, make a "pinch" move with your other hand while you say, "I'm not going to let you pick a card like this though......turn the deck face down....instead, I'm going to riffle.........and so on.

Now, of course, you've not *really* fanned it so they can see it, but it seems to register ok.
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of goatears
Brody I like your suggestion best I think so far.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I was just reading in the Hugard "Encylopedia of Card Tricks" (1937; Dover 1974 and still in print) about a treatment for a Svengali deck that makes it possible to fan the deck and overhand shuffle the deck. This would be similar to a combination of the principles in the Svengali and Popeyed Popper decks.

Woland
PostalElf
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of PostalElf
Quote:
On 2010-10-22 06:43, Woland wrote:
I was just reading in the Hugard "Encylopedia of Card Tricks" (1937; Dover 1974 and still in print) about a treatment for a Svengali deck that makes it possible to fan the deck and overhand shuffle the deck. This would be similar to a combination of the principles in the Svengali and Popeyed Popper decks.

Woland

That would be Hull's Mirage treatment of the Svengali deck, more commonly known as the Mirage deck.
Twizle
View Profile
New user
La Porte, Indiana
3 Posts

Profile of Twizle
I've used roughing fluid to turn a Sven into a Mirage. I haven't seen any loss of functionality, but I may not be doing the right tricks. All the effects I usually do still work. Can someone clear up for me where the lost functionality is? I like fanning my deck to show all the cards different after showing the deck as all one card. I have also had specs ask me to fan the deck out even after I riffled the deck(to show all the cards different) for them. To me it seems to solidify the effect for some specs.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:

Woland

This sounds like the Nomen Omen trick that David Acer developed some years ago - I love it. You can do many cool things with this deck. Camirand Academy sells it and many dealers as well. PEP+Sven:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXWjjQju5FE
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:

Woland

This sounds like the Nomen Omen trick that David Acer developed some years ago - I love it. You can do many cool things with this deck. Camirand Academy sells it and many dealers as well. PEP+Sven:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXWjjQju5FE
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
There's a great booklet on the Svengali Deck called "The Long and the Short of It" that's available online. It goes into all kinds of things for the Svengali Deck, including fanning one.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » How to fan a Svengali deck (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL