The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Mentalician (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
The Mentalician

I look out across the rows and aisles of the old theater with a certain apprehension. Dark red shapes and cringing shadows mask a usta have a pattern carpet. The ushers below are arguing over whether this performer is a magician or a mentalist. The only thing each is sure of is that the other guy is wrong. The program reads, “Oracle of Ever!” If he doesn’t know what he is it’s going to be a long, long night.

The problem is that from where I sit the stage is blocked by a pillar and I have to watch the audience to get any sense of what is happening. Good thing, actually, since observing people is usually more interesting that the feature act. Don’t have to be a mentalist to see astonishment on an old lady’s face or feel a sense of awe ripple through a crowd. Don’t have to be a magician to conjure up laughter and tears and white knuckles on the back of the seat ahead. A fella like Orson Wells could do all of that reading a phone book. Last performer here that made everyone laugh at once was Victor Borge. I just hope this Oracle can keep everyone awake. The opposite of entertainment is boredom. Sigh!

Yup! Looking back over the years the greatest difference between magicians and mentalists and other kinds of acts is boredom; and mentalism demonstrations seem more prone to stifled yawns than conjury. Most people in those red seats start out bored, you know – that’s why they’re searching to be entertained. If they could entertain themselves they wouldn’t be sitting in that creaky chair. Most are yearning to see something that illustrates that there is more to life than what they have, so they love to see the impossible made real and dream of being more able mentally. Least wise, people’s overheard comments reveal that expectations for magic and mentalism is higher than for other acts. What they want is hope – what they get is, well …

So, here is the revelation. The difference between a good magician and a good mentalist is small compared with the separation of both from other types of public performance. The bored public may crave entertainment in many forms, but when they go to see a magician or mentalist they do so to BE entertained. The performer must both educate the audience as to what they will do and then follow through by doing exactly what they say. That’s where boring come in. When a magician does a trick more than once he loses the element of surprise, yet people can still be entertained by the color or artistry or puzzle presented. Folks will come back several times to see the same magic show and still be entertained – find hope even in the mistakes. When a mentalist does the same demonstration more than once he looses rapt attention and people’s minds wander back to the problems they’re trying to escape. So, rather than hope they get immersed in what they shoulda done but didn’t. Predicting the future is easy if you always do what you always did. A Magician has to work harder to get started, while a mentalist has to work harder to stay in the same place. If he is too perfect then applause changes to furtive laughter and then to worried frowns and a silent fear. Yup, a mentalist walks a mental tightrope seeking balance between “wish I could do that” and “hope nobody can.” Of course, I’m only sharing what I see in the audience and not what the mirror tells ya or friends and peers. I’m telling you this because of what happened to me back when I tried to be a mentalist. But the curtain is about to go up and I want to see what kind of impact this Oracle has on the audience.

“Good evening one and all. I am an Oracle. Some of you may think that means I can foretell future events. Others may feel this means giving new depth to events from previous times. A few might think it another term for a magician who will cause impossible things to transpire. One or two might even believe that there is no magic in the world, that no one has special abilities and that everything I do is a trick. Well … each and every one of you is correct in your beliefs and expectations. In the next hour I will demonstrate the power of innate abilities each of you holds but are unaware. I will guide some of you in reading the thoughts and emotions of another person. I will allow impossible events to occur for your entertainment. And I will teach you how to have a greater say over what the future will bring.

There is a catch, of course! I will never tell you which of these causes is at work in any effect or demonstration. You must decide what is a natural ability, what is an illusion, what is psychology and what is something more – magic perhaps, or psychic phenomena. I can predict this. Tonight each of you will have an ‘awe-ha’ moment that will stay with you forever. This night is not the beginning nor the end – it is just a fine moment – your moment. It is now!”

I guess this won’t be boring after all! Some folks will believe in magic no matter how badly you mess up, and some will never believe in paranormal stuff no matter how good you are. Most believe something else is to blame for their boring life than the decisions they make. They want to forget – at least for an hour or two. We call that entertainment. This guy dares to tell them to remember. I am certain I will.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
You could write a book on this. I am dead serious. Your writing is superb, and your storytelling, captivating.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
LeViking
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of LeViking
That was a pleasure reading you sir. I second DekEl.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Yes, a very good read, my friend......

Thank you for sharing.....

I could get lost in a book or story written as well as you do. You really need to write a book....... but, then again, I get the feeling that you have a few stories lying around......

Best
Ray
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
More pearls of wisdom form the Funsway household.

And like the others said, nicely written.

Regards
Steve
tonyf
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of tonyf
Wow .. what a great way to make a disclosure without making it a hard disclosure .. brilliant .. watching for your additional posts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Mentalician (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL